Downsizing in order to live in the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2020, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

Thanks for posting this question. We've been in the process of a slow paring down ever since the start of the new year. The last time we moved, we had to do it in a hurry (transfer opportunity) with a household full of stuff which was a ton of work. This time, we're taking the time to pare down selectively. I think the advice to sell/give away most of your furniture and just buy new when you get to TV is good advice. I went through family photos, keepsakes, greeting cards, the kids' old school papers earlier this year and consolidated everything into a few manageable bins. I have some baby clothes and children's books that I'm saving for our future grandchildren if we are so blessed to have them. I've been going through closets, drawers, storage areas and donating what we no longer use. At some point, we'll have to tackle the tool and yard/garden stuff in the garage which will be no small effort. The kitchen also has a fair amount of extraneous items that we don't really need. We have an extensive book collection full of great classics and we will likely bring a good many of those books with us. It's definitely a process that takes thought and time.

I expect that when the time comes, we will be arriving to TV with a Uhaul, 2 dogs and 2 vehicles. We'll most likely buy a lawnmower when we get there and sell the riding mower before we move.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektron297 View Post
Anybody have some downsizing tips they would like to pass along? We are wondering that when we move to the Villages, there won't be much space for "stuff". Where do you put your things that need to be stored such as Christmas decorations? It appears that there has to be some serious downsizing to move into the Villages.
We sold our furniture except for a grandfather clock and 2 chairs. It is cheaper to buy new than pay for moving. Much northern furniture is too dark and large for TV.
We sorted our "stuff" and made touvh choices back home. In all we filled 2 rollaway dumpsters before we moved. When we did move everything fit in a 15ft uhaul.
Put up shelving units in the garage We bought a few wire shelving units at target , use the space in your garage attic (install steps and plywood floor). But consider how hot it gets in the garage attic! Also, there can be "extra" space in the garage utility area between the furnace and water heater.
Think about incorporating storage into your new furniture such as in cabinets in the living room, storage under beds, use of tote containers in closets and garage.
And, as someone else has mentioned, you will probably downsize again after you've been here a while.
Another good rule. If you bring something new into the house, something old must go. Prevents filling up your new house.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:11 AM
Veteran member

Here’s a tip for downsizing. If there is something you love but really don’t need it, take a photo of it so you will have it forever. As for Christmas decorations you can get attic steps installed. I have a radiant barrier in my roof so that has worked for me. Also remember that wherever you live now there will be organizations that gladly take items and distribute them to those in need. Knowing that you are helping others may help you to let go. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:11 AM
Gold member

Sell it all up there and only bring close personal items you cannot part with. Buy new when you get here. The biggest mistake people make is paying all the money to a mover only to get rid of it once your here. Consignment shops here make a fortune from people that move here.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:15 AM

Hi
We moved from a traditional house and brought our furniture. We now Have a Florida home with different furniture. We should have sold the traditional furniture instead of paying to move it
Old 07-13-2020, 09:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektron297 View Post
Anybody have some downsizing tips they would like to pass along? We are wondering that when we move to the Villages, there won't be much space for "stuff". Where do you put your things that need to be stored such as Christmas decorations? It appears that there has to be some serious downsizing to move into the Villages.
The photo below shows what my garage looked like when advertised on Zillow before I bought it. That’s a LOT of cabinets. Of course, they take up a foot of garage width on each side that can make getting out of a car difficult, but it shoes you what can be done. It’s sometimes possible to buy used or new kitchen cabinets at very low prices from places like the nearest Habitat for Humanity store.

I’d say don’t bring multiple sets of china or flatware. Give the rest to your kids. If they don’t want it, give it away or sell it for a few dollars. You don’t want to pay a hundred dollars to have a set of China packed and moved, then thrown away still packed when you pass on because your kids still don’t want it. Really, half a dozen place settings is plenty. There’s a good chance you rarely use most of your pots and pans and baking sheets and chopping boards and gadgets. Give it all away. Leave most sheets and towels and blankets behind. You don’t have room to store them and you don’t need them. You may need more beach towels, but they are sold in Florida. If your television is more than five years old, leave it behind. Buy a new one. If you have a large SUV, get rid of it and buy a small car so it’s easier to squeeze into the garage. Leave behind nearly all clothes, including all furs.

I had several thousand books. I sold or gave away most of them. I asked myself, “Can I honestly say that I’m seriously planning to read or reread this book?” I have a few dozen on that list. But there are also some that I use for reference, such as books about trees, birds, music. It’s awful, because a lot of these books gave me pleasure. But will I read them again? No. Some I’ve been saving for my grandchildren. But I don’t have any yet.

Try not to bring anything that is just kept in a box in the attic or the basement because it has sentimental value. It’s time to get rid of the first shoes of your children, and their report cards and letters from camp. Otherwise, someday they will come to clean out your house and just toss it all.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	AB32111B-E585-4B50-BEAC-57705462F6BA.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	85213  
Old 07-13-2020, 09:20 AM
Veteran member

Best answer keep a very few cherished items or family memories and sell the rest ,furniture, lawn items ,everything! Buy turnkey or shop til you drop here lol
Old 07-13-2020, 09:31 AM

After reading all the posts it seems the general idea is to get rid of most of your stuff. I moved here 10 months ago and thought I had done that, but still brought to much. Then I met a neighbor who came with just his check book and credit card, I thought wow, he is my hero.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:52 AM

Our mantra is that if you haven’t seen it or used it in a year you don’t need it. Some exceptions of course. Holiday decorations may be one but do you need to decorate for every holiday?
Old 07-13-2020, 10:31 AM

The kids don't want our junk. If you don't use it toss it.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

We gave stuff to the kids, friends, charities and threw a lot out when we moved. We still had too much.
I put flooring in the attic and filled it up including Xmas stuff. Stuff went under the beds too! It's a challenge
Old 07-13-2020, 10:53 AM

Don’t bring any furniture down. I used to entertain a lot up North. You don’t need lots of dishes....usually meet people out
Instead. No one wants to slave away in the house. They would rather go out and play.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:14 AM
Veteran member

One of my neighbors added a loft in the garage (in addition to the attic space) and that works well as long as you don't have a tall vehicle. Honestly, though, most of that is because they decorate outside for every holiday with lights, flags, blow-up leprechauns and whatnot.

I'm another one who moved here with what I could fit in my car -- mostly clothing, electronics, and very basic kitchenware and linens. My documents and photos were whittled down to one file box.

I still brought too many clothes. There's plenty of room for them in my closet, but I really only wear about 15 things.

Once you're settled in, I agree about keeping a balance -- bring one new thing in and get rid of something else.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:16 AM

We are currently snow-birds. Have been for going on six years. Our thought is we'll bring pictures and contents of closets when/if we end our relationship with "the north" and just sell or donate everything else. My post may not fit your needs but I'd agree - sell everything, start new and fill your new home with new things
Old 07-13-2020, 11:22 AM

I added ceiling garage racks in my garage which are much easier to access for smaller items than climbing up and down attic stairs with boxes etc in your hands. I keep bigger items such as luggage and other light weight bulky items etc that I seldom use up in the attic.
Ceiling racks come with attachments so you can also hang things from them such as bikes lawn spreaders etc. I ordered them from Costco and they were delivered free right to my door. I have two ceiling racks in my average size two car garage and they're great. I also have sturdy metal racks all around the walls in my garage so plenty of storage space 4 things you just can't part with or your do-it-yourself tools, paint, garden supplies etc.
Closed Thread

Tags
downsizing, villages, move, put, things

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.