Exterminators in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2014, 03:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Hi Bonanza: There is wisdom in your forewarned is forearmed and I do understand your reasoning and in many respects agree. I used chlordane in the 1970's not only for termites but for roaches, etc. using it around the perimeter of my plot, house etc. while neighbors were hiring exterminators to rid them of roaches...never had one bug in my house My relator believed every house in Memphis had roaches then I explained my neighbor owned three restaurants and mixed the chemical and showed me how to spray for its effective use. Neither he nor I had a bug problem. She became a convert

Forewarned is forearmed and so by virtue of the very existence of a pest control guy surveying the problem on a continuum and actively managing the potential for a problem in my humble view reduces the problem by actively treating it including any rodent problems.

In short pest problem is like any other risk. You can do nothing, treat it yourself or transfer it. In the latter situation by contract my pest control guy will return as often as needed to treat the problem and I believe since he has the training more effectively than could I.

Personal Best Regards:
Hopefully, the public at large does what needs to be done, not what they think needs to be done.

I understand your thinking.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
You may not be having a bug problem because your neighbors and everyone else is spraying to kill them! Had a termite problem in a home in Jacksonville that was less than 8 years old. Cost around $25k for repairs - thanks, but I choose to be safe not sorry.
$25,000 for termite repair? Wow!
There's something very strange about an 8-year old house with that happening, almost like a piece of the story is missing. Were you the owner when the house was purchased? Or, do you think it was sold because that owner was aware of a problem?

As a Realtor, I attended every single home inspection when a listing was under contract and the closing was imminent. I'm speaking about 100s of inspections over the years. In all that time, I never experienced anything close to what you are saying. Your experience was a very exceptional one and definitely not the norm.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:56 AM
Veteran member

I have a dumb question - how do the chances of termites compare in a Block and Stucco house versus a wood frame one? there is a ton of discussion here, but Block and stucco has a lot less wood obviously... Bonanza, you seem pretty adamant in your stance versus everyone else on here, that is for sure. You don't even mention DDT and the problems we had with it.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:55 AM
KittyKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
You should be able to do this your self. However Termite protection should be done by a professional who has insurance to fix the property if damaged.
Agree. Your new home should have a 5 year termite warranty. We didn't sign up with anyone until year 6--they put the bait in the ground and check it every year (for around $100). For bugs, I just sprayed Raid around the perimeter every year if I thought about it. This fall we had a few roaches inside when it turned cold and had Heron Lawn & Pest Control (our lawn is beautiful) do a thorough inspection and outside spray and special stuff in the kitchen outlets. I think this happened because I became lax in spraying the Raid d/t physical problems. I agree with Bonanza--we have too much crap going into our ponds as it is because of our lawn care; don't go full force with pest prevention.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Indiscriminate Use of Pesticides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
I have a dumb question - how do the chances of termites compare in a Block and Stucco house versus a wood frame one? there is a ton of discussion here, but Block and stucco has a lot less wood obviously... Bonanza, you seem pretty adamant in your stance versus everyone else on here, that is for sure. You don't even mention DDT and the problems we had with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post
Agree. Your new home should have a 5 year termite warranty. We didn't sign up with anyone until year 6--they put the bait in the ground and check it every year (for around $100). For bugs, I just sprayed Raid around the perimeter every year if I thought about it. This fall we had a few roaches inside when it turned cold and had Heron Lawn & Pest Control (our lawn is beautiful) do a thorough inspection and outside spray and special stuff in the kitchen outlets. I think this happened because I became lax in spraying the Raid d/t physical problems. I agree with Bonanza--we have too much crap going into our ponds as it is because of our lawn care; don't go full force with pest prevention.
Termites are common in both CBS (concrete block & stucco) and frame houses. I'm not an expert in termites; there are about five different types of them and they each favor different things in a building.

No, I didn't mention DDT. I didn't mention every pesticide by name because naming each one wouldn't serve any purpose. The bottom line, as mentioned before, is that pesticides don't disappear; they poison the ground which poisons the ground water, which poisons, etc., etc., etc.

I'm betting that those who've said they wouldn't be without monthly spraying, have had it since day one in their house, without ever even seeing the first bug. As you have guessed, I am 100% against indiscriminatory spraying. If you have a problem, by all means, take care of it. But I'm a believer in the wait and see game. Unless you have a real problem, don't spray, and a couple of bugs isn't a real problem!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.