Finding People to play Tennis with

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Default Finding People to play Tennis with

I am going to be staying at my house in TV (Largo) and want to start playing tennis again after a 5 year layoff. How do I go about finding players of my skill level (and don't tell me to hang out at the Villages Elementary School. That would definitely hurt my feelings.

You can email me and/or post
Old 06-16-2008, 11:10 AM
Sage
Default Re: Finding People to play Tennis with

Charles,

Not knowing what level you will work yourself back to.... 3.0, 3.5, 4.0 etc ...here's some suggestions.

Check out the Thursday Rec News and look for entries in Tennis that say Dbls RR or Open Dbls....these you can just walk on, they are not a fixed, organized league/group.

Canal St... Tues and Thurs 8-10

Coconut Cove ... Mon and Wed 8-10

Also, on Wed from 930-1045 is a Mens Beg/Int Clinic....basically free lessons, probably done by Jack Ford who is a super guy. That's somewhere to meet players and to get evaluated.

All of the above are on hard courts.

You can also check with Glenview CC and see what open/social events they have....for the soft courts. Once you get your rhythm back and figure out where you fit in, you can have Tim Farwell, director of tennis at Glenview, put your name on the sub list. Then, organized groups will call you when they need a sub....lots of need for subs this time of year.

With summertime, heat, and vacations....the tennis is not nearly as active as during the winter, but, still plenty to be had.

Enjoy.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:38 PM

You mentioned pretty much just about doubles. Never been much of a doubles guy. What do you suggest for getting Singles games going and then getting a rating. I have never been rated . All I know is I used to (3 years ago) be able to beat my son (Varsity High School Team).
Old 06-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Sage

Charles,

Most, if not all, of the organized tennis is doubles (old folks and summer temps, y'know). For singles, suggest you contact Tim Farwell at Glenview, let him try you out and he should be able to hook you up with other people who like to play singles.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Sage

See, this is why I love golf so much. Easy to get a game with anyone since the handicap takes care of things relatively well.

Have you tried pickleball yet? I can't wait to play! Tennis is great exercise though.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,523 Times in 1,916 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston
See, this is why I love golf so much. Easy to get a game with anyone since the handicap takes care of things relatively well.

Have you tried pickleball yet? I can't wait to play! Tennis is great exercise though.

Responding to what Village07 said about the heat influencing a tennis game. I had problems with much activity with the heat and humidity last week and vowed to come home and drop some weight and get in better shape. We have heat and humidity in Cincinnati but it was really hot and humid in the middle of the day, but both seemed to drop a lot towards evening. The air conditioner on our new home is great and responded immediately. In fact we were too cold until we knew how to adjust it.

Anyway, I need to stop typing and get on the treadmill if I am going to participate in the plethora of activities in Paradise.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.