Doggies-What to Do?

Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2010, 08:50 AM
Post Doggies-What to Do?

In considering a move to TV, my husband and I are stumped about our dogs. We have two mixed-breeds, each weighing approximately 45 lbs and 36 lbs. Presently, we have a small yard, which, being dogs, they enjoying spending time in doing what doggies do. Anyway, it seems with the no fence restrictions (which we support by the way), we would be house-dwellers with our dogs 24/7 except when we walk them or take them to the dog run. Love them as we do, this doesn't appeal to us. The villas are another choice but we find them small and we really need a two-car garage.

Would anyone care to share what they think and/or what they have done in this situation. We know there are many dog lovers/lowners in TV.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:03 AM

Some years ago, I said "When the dog dies, we put the house up for sale."
She did, we did, and here we are.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Taltarzac

Some of the dog owners here in TV like their "hidden" or invisible fences. http://www.petcontainment.com/

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 12-13-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:24 AM

Our priority was to move in with our dog. A CYV seemed the only way to go and I'm glad we did. We have a huge yard and there's a dog door already installed altho I keep him inside when we're gone and at night. We use the dog runs (had been in a rental up north and a new one will open close by) and really enjoy the walks. I'm not sure why you'd be tied to the house unless your guys need to be watched closely? Yard sizes vary so keep an eye out for a villa with lots of yard space or ranch that backs up to some privacy and use an electric fence. There's lots of great choices here and lots of great places for dogs to be walked. It's definately a dog's world here!
Old 12-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Default Build a big birdcage

Find a house with an oversize back yard, then build a birdcage to the setback lines. Lay out large landscape beds along the sides and the back, and when they pour the concrete floor, leave those areas open. Then plant some trees and shrubs, surrounded by lots of mulch. Your dogs will love their back yard.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Many dog parks

Just an FYI, there are many existing and coming soon dog parks in which they could play. If my dog was a wanderer, I would use an invisible fence. Here is my doggie Gracie

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 12-13-2010, 10:14 AM

We had the same concerns before we moved. Two dogs, 60 and 70 pounds. We had a fenced area for them even though they didn't stay outside that much. When we moved to TV we quickly realized that our concerns were unfounded. Both dogs have adapted very well to being on a leash, and neither of them has ever had an accident indoors. They seem to love it here as much as we do.

Bring them down, they'll love it here.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:05 AM

Find a house with an oversize back yard, then build a birdcage to the setback lines. Lay out large landscape beds along the sides and the back, and when they pour the concrete floor, leave those areas open. Then plant some trees and shrubs, surrounded by lots of mulch. Your dogs will love their back yard.

This sounds absolutely ingenious! Thanks for sharing-wondering if your advice is given based on experience?
Old 12-13-2010, 11:16 AM

Coconuts "Some years ago, I said "When the dog dies, we put the house up for sale. She did, we did, and here we are."

Coconuts,
We know exactly where you are coming from. Seven years ago we said we would not have any more animals but...our daughter found our two dogs as strays, Buster in Oklahoma and Becca in Texas, and, with our permission, shipped them to us in Maryland. Now we care deeply for them and they could outlive us-not likely, but you never know. Anyway, if/when we move to TV, it will be in the next year or two, so, barring an unforseen event, both of our doggies will have to make the move with us. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Girl View Post
This sounds absolutely ingenious! Thanks for sharing-wondering if your advice is given based on experience?
Yes, we have two dogs; we built a 1200-square foot birdcage. We all love it -- it doubles the living area of your house for most of the year.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Gold member

There are some villas with two car garage. You just have to watch for them when they go up for sale.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 12-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Platinum member

We have two dogs, but they are both fairly small - 12 lbs. They had not been out of VA since we got them 12 years ago until we brought them to TV. They travelled very good and have been outstanding since we have been in our rental. The yard of our new home is not big at all, but they NEVER go out without being on a leash, so that should not be a problem.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 12-13-2010, 07:55 PM

This set up allows each homeowner to have a larger useful side yard. Otherwise you would have a narrow strip on both sides. It is a better use of land for the developer. We have this setup in my current neighborhood. The only problems I have observed is when a careless neighbor lets their sprinklers spray on your house wall and it causes some damage. There is also the issue of landscaping interferring with your ability to maintain that wall.

batman911,
We can see where you are coming from but in reading over the deed restrictions, it says the owner of the land has the right of ingress and egress to perform maintenance. Our rep said they would have to ask permission but the restrictions does not indicate they would. We would certainly expect them to do so but... We were concerned because we would have 2 dogs that would have use of the yard and well..you can see where this could go.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:01 PM

Yes, we have two dogs; we built a 1200-square foot birdcage. We all love it -- it doubles the living area of your house for most of the year.

bike42,
Holy cow, that is as big as some homes!!! Those are some lucky dogs you have! Just kidding. This really is a great idea! Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:25 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike42 View Post
Sounds awesome...can you post a picture?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.