Fossils in Buttonwood

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Gold member
Default Fossil

Thank you all for your great responses to my find. I think the fossil is either a star fish or sea urchin. I will have to do some online research to determine what it is, and how old. Got any suggestions?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Sage

I'd contact someone from this club if it were me and I wanted more info. I think it is very interesting. Also, there is a fossil, mineral and gem show/fair at the Central Florida Fairgrounds October 8 and 9.

I love that sort of thing. I've got this weird interest in rocks and gems. I have a habit of picking up interesting rocks. It has to strike my interest in the way it looks or feels or I don't know what is wrong with me. My sister-in-law saw me casually putting a little stone in my pocket one day and questioned me about it. She said my 11 year old niece has done the same thing since she could walk.

Central Florida Fair
4603 W. Colonial Drive
Orlando, FL 32808

http://www.floridafossilhunters.com/Fossil_Fair.htm

Last edited by bkcunningham1; 09-16-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default back in my scuba days

We used to call those "Sea biscuits"...We did a lot of cave diving in
the Ocala area and I un-earthed a petrified sloth bone, which was sent to Univ. of Florida to be analyzed...You might want to send your fossil to Gainesville.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Sage

jebartle, what a great story. You reminded me of somthing I hadn't thought about in a long time.

Years ago I lived at Wilbur by the Sea, FL, near Ponce Inlet and Daytona Beach. There was a lake/park area near South Daytona where I would go to relax.

The area was believed to have once been a tar pit where a Giant Ground Sloth, perfectly preserved, was discovered. Many other fossils were found in this area. I think they call it the Daytona Bone Bed. It is all at a really great museum in Daytona Beach.

The Giant Ground Sloth was discovered by...drum roll...a scuba diver who was an amateur paleontologist.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:16 AM
Gold member

If word gets out the developers will be told they have to stop building so that an archelogical dig can be done. Just think, TV was probably ocenafront propery millions of years ago.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.