Garage Ceiling Cracks

Old 12-18-2023, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miadford@gmail.com View Post
It’s probably because you have put heavier things in your attic. It was not built to support anything in the attic space. We have that problem too. The trusses are only made with 2x4 and not able to bear weight.
Depending on where in The Villages you live, this is not the case. Years ago TV started using 2x6's and designed attic space specifically to be used as storage. In fact, they use 1/2" OSB for flooring. I suspect you live in an older area of TV, before this design change occurred.
Old 12-18-2023, 09:33 AM

I just fixed my garage.The seam tape never stuck to the seams of the drywall in spots. I cut the bad tape out with a utility knife and used that fiberglass mesh seam tape ,remudded and used a putty knife to give that stucco look to match the existing ceiling finish and repainted the ceiling. Like others weak ceiling flexing not helpful.
Old 12-18-2023, 09:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We did when we lived in TV because I guess we had to much stored above garage. I guess it was to much weight.
Old 12-18-2023, 10:06 AM
Default Insulate garage and lanai ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJBeck View Post
I heard from a friend who had the problem that the cause is primarily due to lack of insulation above the garage.. the high temperatures in the attic cause the drywall to expand to much. I used the solar guys to blow insulation into the garage attic area as well as our inclosed lanai attic . Haven’t had any problems yet. (4 years ago).
Had the same issue. It will continue to crack if not insulated. Blow in insulation did the trick.
Old 12-18-2023, 08:15 PM

Thank you very much for all the information provided!
Old 12-30-2023, 04:04 PM
Default Garage Ceiling Cracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
I had this problem at first in a small area, then it expanded. I initially attempted to repair the defective areas, but it kept expanding.

The problem in my garage was that the drywall joints are not supported and the expansion from heat and cooling deteriorates the joints. I decided that the best repair would be to secure all the joints. I bought 1" by 3" boards and covered all of the seams.

The garage joists were installed horizontal to the garage door. The 4' x 8' dry wall sheets were installed with the 8 foot length from front to back. That leaves the entire 8 foot length of drywall supported only every two feet. I screwed the 1 x 3 boards along the 8 foot dry wall joint using the joists (24" on center). Countersunk and covered screwheads. Used a stud finder to insure joist location. Also used care to insure the 1 X 3 boards were properly aligned. Also used some liquid nails at certain areas.

My garage ceiling had a knockdown finish. I painted the whole ceiling and boards. I added a popcorn finish grit to the ceiling paint over the newly installed boards. Gave it a light sanding.

Cost was about $100. Did the work myself about 3 years ago and it still looks good.
Any chance of seeing this repair ?

Tags
garage, cracks, ceiling, handyman, company

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.