Gas or electric cart?

Old 05-06-2024, 05:18 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,182 Times in 782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURLYSANDY View Post
Closing on home next week, next purchase will be a golf cart. We will be "Snow Flakes" so only visiting a few times a year for a couple of months each time. The main question: Gas or electric cart please? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
Haha, you’ll be snow “birds” not flakes. But to answer your question!! EZ- Go Lithium battery is what I chose. The second I got into the gas one, I could smell the fumes and didn’t like the sound, even though it was “quiet tec” it wasn’t quite quiet enough for me. But the fumes… I couldn’t stand them. I’ve taken my cart out for as long as I could stand to be in a cart and didn’t even use 1/2 the charge. Battery life isn’t something that you should be concerned with, IMO but definitely try them all and see what you like best.

While both terms are pejorative, the schedule described by the poster, is what's know as a "snow flake" and not a "snow bird". Perhaps before correcting someone, you might want to be more careful?
Old 05-06-2024, 05:19 AM

You need to actually drive the various carts and find the one that works for you.

We shopped the various brands and types of engines and selected our cart after several test drives of the ones we narrowed it down to.

Some that were high on our research list turned out to be uncomfortable or cheesy quality when we drove them.
Old 05-06-2024, 05:20 AM

I would get a gas cart. Electric carts can run out of a charge and leave you stranded. Also, in the past, most garage fires were caused by electric carts.
Old 05-06-2024, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Closing on home next week, next purchase will be a golf cart. We will be "Snow Flakes" so only visiting a few times a year for a couple of months each time. The main question: Gas or electric cart please? Thanks
That's a decision only you can make based on your preferences
Old 05-06-2024, 05:33 AM
Veteran member

Avoid electric, the driving range is simply insufficient.
Old 05-06-2024, 05:35 AM
Veteran member

Gas for many reasons which is also explained on past forum topics. I have 11,000 miles on a 2.5 year old Yamaha quiet drive 2 cart, put in regular gas at Walmart with no issues, and the cart runs full throttle everywhere we go. If I was a snowbird, I would add some stabil and run it for a few miles before I would leave. It’s cheap insurance. If I was gone for 6 months I might even put on a smart trickle charger. I did this same thing when winterizing my boat when I lived in snow country.
Old 05-06-2024, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwirish View Post
I'm getting 75 out 80 miles a charge in my electric cart, its an evolution d5 4 forward facing. I bought mine at Hidden Creek and they were fair priced and easy to work with, top notch customer service.

I seldom go 75 miles in a day, I wonder if anyone does?

Last edited by LeRoySmith; 05-06-2024 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-06-2024, 06:29 AM

Welcome. Exciting times! I did extensive research on both and all the brands within each category. More importantly, I did research on brands outside of the village golf car store. They are a bit limited on choice.

I ended up choosing lithium over gas. Easier, quiet and no smell. Now, super important to get the 210 battery if you choose lithium. It will give you 60 plus miles per charge. You will have no issues at all. I bought my cart March 2024 and I have gone 1200 miles since new. I use it all day. I go everywhere. I live down in Dabney. I can go to Spanish Springs and back and still have 20/30 percent left. Nice thing about lithium.. no maintenance and most are warrantied for 5 years+. Lift up the little hills is very responsive. Many models have an off switch so you turn "off" the battery while you are gone and stop the drain.

At the end, I think you are good either way. Each have their +/-

Choose comfort for sure if you plan on using it all day for extended mile use.

Everyone allows test drives. Go to different stores, try different brands and see what you like.

Good luck and welcome again!
Old 05-06-2024, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Took me 4 years to decide. Used all of them at various golf courses. EZGO Elite Lithium. Comfortable and 60 mile range. Plug in in and when we go to Maryland or Hawaii to visit it holds the charge. I ride my bike on the paths and can smell the exhaust in the tunnels. Top speed 22. Welcome, this is a fantastic place to explore and retire. Great neighborhoods and feel very safe. 24 hour patrols.

Last edited by sowilts; 05-06-2024 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-06-2024, 06:50 AM

Gas!!
Old 05-06-2024, 06:56 AM
Default Atomic Cart

I can’t speak to long term battery storage issue, but otherwise love our Atomic Electric cart.
We get 100 miles on one charge, no worries about cost of gas. We have heat and air conditioning, windshield wipers, electric windows, and no stinky fumes. No problems with use on golf courses. I feel much safer in it.
Old 05-06-2024, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
I'm getting 75 out 80 miles a charge in my electric cart, its an evolution d5 4 forward facing. I bought mine at Hidden Creek and they were fair priced and easy to work with, top notch customer service.

I seldom go 75 miles in a day, I wonder if anyone does?
True, most of us don’t go 75 miles in a day. But my first cart was an electric, and as the batteries aged the range decreased.

So the next time I bought a Quiettech… and love it.
I just watch the gas gage .
Old 05-06-2024, 07:14 AM

Lithium period, end of story.

They're stealthily quiet, zero maintenance, no fumes, no exhaust noise, no memory, ypu can top off charge any time, it has none of the draw backs of lead acid or gas.

When you leave you simply leave the battery at approximately 70-80% charge and top it up when you return. Most LFP, lithium iron phosphate batteries will self discharge approximately only 2-3% per month.

Battery range us heavily impacted by driving style and tire diameter.

My Battery size recommendations if you like to drive a lot:
- 105ah, is the bare minimum if you want to travel between the Squares. ~30-40 miles range. Likely to experience some range anxiety at times. Charge nightly or every other night.

- 160ah, Large enough to go anywhere in The Villages. ~45-60 miles of range. Range anxiety doesn't exist. Charge 1-2 times per week.

- 200+ah, Large enough to go anywhere in The Villages. ~60-80 miles of range. You laugh when someone mentions range anxiety! You typically charge only 1 maybe 2 times per week.

Your gasser neighbors are jealous but won't admit it.
Old 05-06-2024, 07:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,034 Times in 4,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJEFE View Post
Lithium period, end of story.

They're stealthily quiet, zero maintenance, no fumes, no exhaust noise, no memory, ypu can top off charge any time, it has none of the draw backs of lead acid or gas.

When you leave you simply leave the battery at approximately 70-80% charge and top it up when you return. Most LFP, lithium iron phosphate batteries will self discharge approximately only 2-3% per month.

Battery range us heavily impacted by driving style and tire diameter.

My Battery size recommendations if you like to drive a lot:
- 105ah, is the bare minimum if you want to travel between the Squares. ~30-40 miles range. Likely to experience some range anxiety at times. Charge nightly or every other night.

- 160ah, Large enough to go anywhere in The Villages. ~45-60 miles of range. Range anxiety doesn't exist. Charge 1-2 times per week.

- 200+ah, Large enough to go anywhere in The Villages. ~60-80 miles of range. You laugh when someone mentions range anxiety! You typically charge only 1 maybe 2 times per week.

Your gasser neighbors are jealous but won't admit it.
No, FAR from the "end of story"

You forgot range is also dependent upon the age of the batteries and that you will need to replace those batteries for $9-1,200" within the lifetime of the cart.

Range anxiety???? I can drive my Yamaha from Moultrie Creek to Lopez, play 18 and return on 1/4 tank gas. An electric cart will be dead somewhere between Glenview and Palmer on the return trip. And if I were inattentive and ran out of gas stuck side by side with an EV, I'll get a gallon from Kart-aide in 15 minutes and be on my way. You'll be getting a flatbed tow.

That being said, build a reliable electric that gets 80 miles on a charge and doesn't lose range with age and has 20 year battery warranty and I'm in due to the quiet and lack of fumes. But that technology is not here yet.
Old 05-06-2024, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwirish View Post
????? old school answer. Our lithium cart gets 80-100 miles. Smooth as silk. No noise, no odor, no worries.

Tags
cart, gas, electric, main, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.