Gas or electric grill?

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Default Gas or electric grill?

Hi everyone,

We will be moving into a cottage home in Pennecamp on October 1 and are looking into getting an electric grill. In NY, we have natural gas with a gas line run directly to our gril. In Pennecamp, we have electric and don't want to use the portable propane tanks. Does anyone have an electric grill that does a good job of searing steaks and burgers for more than two people? Do they cook as well as a gas grill?

Tony and Cathy
Oceanside, NY
Atlantic Beach, NY
Soon to be Pennecampers
Old 09-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Eternal Member

Interesting question but what is your problem with a propane tank? I have been using propane for many years and have never had a problem.

You can either exchange the empty propane tank for a new on at many of the local places (Walgreen's, Loewe's, etc) or get it refilled at Ace hardware for a cheaper price.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.

Last edited by zcaveman; 09-13-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:13 PM

Hi zcaveman,

I just didn't want to have to cart it back and forth for refills and thought I would research electric grills instead. I have a Weber Genesis in NY and having the direct gas hook up makes it so easy. I guess I'm spoiled having an uninterrupted supply of natural gas.

Cathy and Tony
Oceanside, NY
Atlantic Beach, NY
Soon to be Pennecampers
Old 09-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Gold member
Default have had them all

I've had 2 natural gas lines which are convenient, and also several propane ones, and also a couple of electric ones on pedestals with domed lids (George Foreman). The electric seems slower to me, but cooks evenly. We kept it down here while we rented our villa out because we didn't want to mess with propane as absentee landlords.

Now that we are moving, we are moving our propane Weber Gas grill, which we just like better. We'll be selling the large electric George Foreman - $30 if anyone is interested.

As far as refilling, we always keep an extra tank for those times when it runs out of gas in the middle of grilling, then just refill at our convenience.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:37 AM

We moved here in February and went from a large BBQ to a small one. We bought the Weber baby BBQ and use the one pound tanks which are about $2. You pay a little more for the gas but you don't need the big tank and don't use a lot of gas to get it up to temperature. It has a cast iron grill which will heat up enough in 5 minutes to have steaks and burgers sizzling immediately. Love it.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:42 AM
Platinum member

I have a Weber propane, best grill ever.
I keep 2 tanks, one on the grill and an empty tank. When the indicator starts to drop, it is time to refill the spare because it will be time to change in a week or so. Works for me.
The Villages Florida
Suffering from TV envy
Old 09-14-2010, 08:03 AM

I have a gas Weber at home here in NY and love it ---Where can I find Weber units here ?

Do you cook under the birdcage ? I have seen many BBQ inside and outside ---I would think the screen would get filthy ----

43 days to closing ---
Old 09-14-2010, 10:16 AM

We have a George Forman Electric Grill that we can use in the lanai, outside on the patio or take it off the stand and use in the house. Very easy to clean. Will hold at least 8 to 10 burgers.

Doreen
Old 09-14-2010, 06:37 PM

Tony and Cathy -

I'm right down the road from you - E. Broadway/Long Beach...and a wanna-be. Been to TV twice already. I just have one thing to say: TAKE ME WITH YOU !!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
I have a Weber propane, best grill ever.
I keep 2 tanks, one on the grill and an empty tank. When the indicator starts to drop, it is time to refill the spare because it will be time to change in a week or so. Works for me.
The Villages Florida
Hi KayakerNC,

What a great idea. I didn't want to store so much propane but waiting until the first is almost empty before refilling the empty is a great idea. I'm still researching grills but will probably go with a Weber or a Charbroil. Thanks for the advice.

Cathy and Tony
Oceanside, NY
Atlantic Beach, NY
Soon to be Pennecampers
Old 09-15-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePir2 View Post
Hi everyone,

We will be moving into a cottage home in Pennecamp on October 1 and are looking into getting an electric grill. In NY, we have natural gas with a gas line run directly to our gril. In Pennecamp, we have electric and don't want to use the portable propane tanks. Does anyone have an electric grill that does a good job of searing steaks and burgers for more than two people? Do they cook as well as a gas grill?

Tony and Cathy
Oceanside, NY
Atlantic Beach, NY
Soon to be Pennecampers
We have a 99 dollar ELECTRIC outside grill that we got at Ace Hardware down here for our Pennecamp home. Cooks and grills steaks BETTER than gas. I call it my "99 dollar summer kitchen".
Old 09-15-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsie52 View Post
I have a gas Weber at home here in NY and love it ---Where can I find Weber units here ?

Do you cook under the birdcage ? I have seen many BBQ inside and outside ---I would think the screen would get filthy ----

43 days to closing ---
We haven't moved in yet but have the same question about where to buy the grills. We will have an outdoor patio as well as a lanai so will barbeque on the patio. I agree that the screen would get dirty from smoke residue. What about putting in a small platform outside the lanai room for the grill. I seem to remember seeing that when looking at homes in TV. That's what we did in NY and it works well. See you soon in TV.

Tony and Cathy
Oceanside, NY
Atlantic Beach, NY
Pennecampers in 16 days
Old 09-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Platinum member

This old-timer, never a huge griller to begin with, still has a charcoal fired grill!

Been used once in five and a half years - my brother-in-law and his spouse insisted on cooking an "old-fashioned" meal on one of their visits, used my grill even though they use a monster gas one up north.

Cooking for one doesn't excite me to go to the trouble of setting up the grill!

SWR
Old 09-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePir2 View Post
We haven't moved in yet but have the same question about where to buy the grills. We will have an outdoor patio as well as a lanai so will barbeque on the patio. I agree that the screen would get dirty from smoke residue. What about putting in a small platform outside the lanai room for the grill. I seem to remember seeing that when looking at homes in TV. That's what we did in NY and it works well. See you soon in TV.

Tony and Cathy
Oceanside, NY
Atlantic Beach, NY
Pennecampers in 16 days
I've been using propane for 35 years. Our first house had a screened in porch. (Now it's called a lanai.)
We used the grill on it for a couple of years without issue.

By the way, used to drive to Nathan's in Oceanside from Brooklyn with my friends when I first got my driver's license.
Now they served a great hot dog. Still the best. Although Coney Island was the place to go.

Only 34.5 months to go....or the market goes up 30%
Old 09-15-2010, 04:01 PM

Nathan's is still there on Long Beach Road in Oceanside, although the original building was redone and they now sell Arthur Treachers' Fish and Chips in addition to the Nathan's Hot Dog. We used to walk there during exam week from Oceanside High School and buy a hot dog and their famous french fries. I'm probably one of the few Long Islanders who never went to Coney Island
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.