Getting ready for the first toward TV

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Default Getting ready for the first toward TV

Hopefully this week I’m going take on the main challenge that could prevent me from moving TV. One of my co-worker is going to get me behind the wheel of a golf cart. One thing I haven’t mentioned is I have moderate cerebral palsy. This is one of the reasons ‘m looking at the villages, It is almost entirely self contained. Any way, TV is to big for me to get around on foot and with no public transportation if I can’t drive a golf cart TV is not a viable option for me. I’ve read the thread regarding public transportation; though I need it I have to agree with those who say a transportation system in TV is not economically viable.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Default Re: Getting ready for the first toward TV

Well Good luck my friend. If you find the first attempt difficult, try again. And again. I'm sure with practice you can master a cart. Just stick with it and I am positive you will be successful. You be positive as well. :bigthumbsup: Keep us up with your progress.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:14 PM

I wish you the best of luck. You'll never know until you try. :bigthumbsup:

My wife is disabled and her decision on whether she really wanted to move to The Villages was influenced by whether or not she could drive a golf cart. So I took her out into an empty parking lot and told her to drive the cart. I really wasn't sure if she would be able to or not (I probably had more doubts that she did) but she tried it out and seemed to do pretty well driving the cart.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:41 AM

If not a golf cart, what about a motorized wheel chair or scooter? There's a fellow who's quite handicapped with cerebral palsy in our town who gets around quite well. It should be a lot easier in TV with the golf cart paths.
New Jersey
Old 08-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,924 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think you can do it. You think you can do it. We all think you can do it.........and if you can't you can hitch a ride with one of us!
Old 08-21-2008, 01:10 PM

Grace thanks for the offer of rides. The truth is I prize my independence, almost to a fault. I have for the past 14 years walked 1.5 miles to Wal-mart to do my shopping even when offered rides. I can help noticing with each passing year they seem to be moving the store a little further away, and making the hill I climb a little steeper (HA! HA). I’m looking to moving at moving to TV as an opportunity to maintain my independence, not have to surrender it.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Would a cart with handicapped controls make it easier for you? I know those are around. As a matter of fact, I have one sitting on my garage patiently waiting for its owner to arrive so it can be parked in his carport.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-22-2008, 03:44 PM

lone traveller,
as a person with a significant physical disability i specifically moved to the villages so i could drive my golf cart and continue to run errands, get to dr apppts. etc. independently i drive my golf cart using just my right arm and leg.
but if golf cart driving is beyond your abilities and minor modifications don't address all your needs, you will find sumter county transit a viable system for either door to door or bus stop to bus stop transportation with in the villages or surrounding areas.
as mentioned by a prior poster, some villagers do use electric wheelchairs and scooters to travel within the villages. although you may find distances an issue. for all your needs.

all grocery stores in the villages have electric carts for in store use and a few pools have chair lifts in addition to all having handicap access steps. feel free to pm me if you have more concerns about managing in the villages. i moved here in 99 and haven't regretted my decision.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:36 PM

There is a lady on the historic side who goes everwhere in her mobility cart I see her downtown almost every night. If she can go that far than the shopping areas are only another .25 mile.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:48 PM

yes gonzy,
many electric scooters and wheelchairs will make it over the golf cart bridge from the historic side to spanish springs town square and the shopping plaza. but probably not all the way out to colony plaza on 466a and back to orange blossom. and maybe not even to a play at the savannah center.
so locale and needs have tobe planned more carefully than when traveling around the villages by golf cart.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.