Golf attire

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2023, 06:10 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Wrong. It’s respect for the sport and the people you play with. If you want to wear a bathing suit, for example, don’t come to the golf course.
WRONG.

"Spiffy golf attire" is a throwback to the 1950's, when Americans that played golf, wanted to show the world that they were "special & cool".

75 years later, the "specified" outfits, are neither spiffy nor cool and playing golf doesn't make you special. If you complain about what someone else is wearing at a PUBLIC golf course, you're the problem and you're definitely UNCOOL.
Old 11-22-2023, 07:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

Well, golf is from Scotland several hundreds years before it was imported to this continent. And right from the beginning:
“Early Scottish golfers wore formal apparel like jackets, waistcoats, and breeches before golf-specific attire became popular.” Google.

Now if the North Americans interpreted it as “spiffy” that was their problem. There is a tradition associated with this game. I understand people wanting to change the tradition, but why not just invent your own sport if you don’t like the traditions associated with golf? Not everyone wants to go to the lowest common denominator, and calling it “cool” doesn’t make it so.

Last edited by Velvet; 11-22-2023 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-22-2023, 08:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Well, golf is from Scotland several hundreds years before it was imported to this continent. And right from the beginning:
“Early Scottish golfers wore formal apparel like jackets, waistcoats, and breeches before golf-specific attire became popular.” Google.

Now if the North Americans interpreted it as “spiffy” that was their problem. There is a tradition associated with this game. I understand people wanting to change the tradition, but why not just invent your own sport if you don’t like the traditions associated with golf? Not everyone wants to go to the lowest common denominator, and calling it “cool” doesn’t make it so.

Ohhh ... I see. You want to maintain the "TRADITIONAL fashion" of golf?

Exactly which tradition is appropriate in your mind?

Let's see a photo of you at the golf course. I'm sure you're not wearing polyester and I'm positive your golf shoes are wingtips. I mean, you're a person of tradition, right?

Are you beginning to see the absurdity of your contention?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	GOlf Attire_99.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	101311  
Old 11-22-2023, 08:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

I am seeing a desperate attempt to justify a position. I prefer not to put people in that position. So the best of luck to you, sincerely.
Old 11-22-2023, 09:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I am seeing a desperate attempt to justify a position. I prefer not to put people in that position. So the best of luck to you, sincerely.
Quote:

There is a tradition associated with this game
OK, fine. What's the "tradition"? I'm waiting to hear it? Jackets & waistcoats? What exactly is "golf-specific attire"? Sansabelt pants and white belts?

I'd like to know. What's golf's traditional dress?

Is it ok to dress like PGA Tour Pros? Do they respect the game and its traditions?

Which "traditional" outfit do you like?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	daly_2.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	101312  
Old 11-23-2023, 08:13 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Kilts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
OK, fine. What's the "tradition"? I'm waiting to hear it? Jackets & waistcoats? What exactly is "golf-specific attire"? Sansabelt pants and white belts?

I'd like to know. What's golf's traditional dress?

Is it ok to dress like PGA Tour Pros? Do they respect the game and its traditions?

Which "traditional" outfit do you like?
One poster wants to go with the wool Scottish kilts? Or original dress (literally)?
I’m opposed because we are in a different climate. Kind of like going to Africa where some are half naked.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 11-23-2023, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Although I prefer to dress more casual, my golfing buddies still cling to the old school tradition. Plus, they are a hoot to play with : )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0142.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	101323  
Old 11-23-2023, 10:14 AM
Platinum member

To saying nothing of the fact, that the Executive Golf Courses are PUBLIC courses, owned by the Public.

Next thing you know, someone will be mandating a Dress Code for the Dog Parks, Recreation Centers and the public squares. What the hell, why not have a Dress Code for walking on the sidewalks in TV?
Old 11-25-2023, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
To saying nothing of the fact, that the Executive Golf Courses are PUBLIC courses, owned by the Public.

Next thing you know, someone will be mandating a Dress Code for the Dog Parks, Recreation Centers and the public squares. What the hell, why not have a Dress Code for walking on the sidewalks in TV?
Not one golf course in TV is owned by the public. Championship owned by the developer. Executive owned by residents. Allowing PUBLIC play is not ownership. The public can play championship. The public can not play executive. Executive non resident players require a guest pass.

Last edited by rustyp; 11-25-2023 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-25-2023, 12:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Not one golf course in TV is owned by the public. Championship owned by the developer. Executive owned by residents. Allowing PUBLIC play is not ownership. The public can play championship. The public can not play executive. Executive non resident players require a guest pass.

“What the hell”
Go rusty………
Old 11-25-2023, 05:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
The Executive Golf Courses (other than the ones in the South that have not been turned over yet) are owned by CDD's, which are public entities. WE (the residents) are "the public". for purposes of the CDD.

If you follow this link, you'll better understand how it works.

VCDD Golf

Last edited by BrianL99; 11-25-2023 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-25-2023, 05:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
The Executive Golf Courses (other than the ones in the South that have not been turned over yet) are owned by CDD's, which are public entities. WE (the residents) are "the public". for purposes of the CDD.

VCDD Golf
Which part of TV's CDD's are public? Let's ask the mayor of Lady Lake or better yet Goldwingnut that question. Nice try. I did not find in your reference how a non resident i.e. the public plays an executive course in the south without a guest pass. Please post how. Many people in Wildwood would be interested. By your definition we the residents of TV are the "privileged public" within three counties. It would be beneficial if one took the residents academy course.

Last edited by rustyp; 11-25-2023 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-25-2023, 08:35 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Executive owned by residents.

Quote:
Which part of TV's CDD's are public?

By your definition we the residents of TV are the "privileged public" within three counties.
It would be beneficial if one took the residents academy course.
The Executive courses are owned by the CDD, not the residents. A CDD is not like a condominium, where people own an individual % of the whole. A CDD is a governmental unit in Florida. They hold their own elections, are required to adhere to FL Sunshine Laws and hold Public Hearings.

Home owners in TV are indeed, the "privileged public". The CDD's own the Exec Golf Courses and make the rules. If they wanted to, they could probably make a rule that the "non-privileged public" could play the Executive Courses ... other CDD Communities have done it.

A Primer on CDD's can be found here: Community Development Districts – What you should know! | CFM Community Development District

You're getting a little off the subject. The fact that there's a "dress code" for Executive Golf courses, is ludicrous in my opinion. That's like the City of Wildwood, telling folks they can't use the Library or Town Hall, unless they wear a tie.

Then again, I don't really care what anyone wears to play golf, especially on the Executive Courses. I don't play them. They're not real golf courses. It's like comparing Co-Ed Intramural Flag Football, with the Varsity Football Team. There are some similarities, but it's a different game.
Old 11-26-2023, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
Glad I read through a few of these so I could find out what a henley is.
Yeah. Like a henway.
Old 11-26-2023, 05:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,608 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:

VCDD Golf
A Public vs Private Course is an indication of WHO CAN PLAY, not ownership.

Anyone can play a public course - let’s see what happens when Bob from Ocala tries to play Red Fox Tuesday morning.

While Bob from Ocala can play a championship, he can’t make a tee time on them - so he would be a walk up.

“Private courses” could be owned by a corporation or the members.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, attire, men, wear, “henley”

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.