Golf bag locks for cart?

Old 04-08-2024, 08:38 AM
Default Golf bag locks for cart?

A newbie question: I see many golf carts with bags on the back in the square with no apparent lock to the cart. Are people that trusting/lucky or is there some discrete lock I need to get?
Old 04-08-2024, 09:18 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacScuba View Post
A newbie question: I see many golf carts with bags on the back in the square with no apparent lock to the cart. Are people that trusting/lucky or is there some discrete lock I need to get?
Even if there is a lock a person can still easily steal clubs, particularly big $$$ items like a driver and a rangefinder. On other hand if you have older, less expensive non name brand clubs, likelihood of getting stolen are less.
Old 04-08-2024, 09:22 AM
Default Bike lock

Quote:
I have a bike lock with a 6 ft. cable that I run through both golf bag handles and through one of the roof bars on my golf cart. I take the bags off the cart if we're not golfing that day or next if we're only going shopping or to the town square. I also remove the sand bottle and cooler, but I'm a paranoid individual!!
Old 04-08-2024, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,167 Times in 2,257 Posts

Some golf bags have a security hood that can be installed to hide the clubs, I have been known to take them with me if I am concerned, same goes for bowling equipment.
Old 04-08-2024, 09:52 AM

While 99+% of the time it isn’t a problem, I know folks who have had sand bottles and coolers stolen from their carts. Therefore, I take 2 minutes to remove clubs and other things from my cart when I am not golfing. Unfortunately, it is the 0.1 % of the people who cause problems. A little care keeps my life happier.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 04-08-2024, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,099 Times in 2,754 Posts

They sell bag covers with an attached cable (must supply your own lock) at the Championship pro shops. The cable can be run through a handle on the golf bag and through the accessories basket on the cart and locked. It’s not a solution that a determined thief couldn’t get around, but your clubs can’t be seen and it would certainly make it more time consuming and obvious that someone was attempting to steal your sticks. Based on that, it is highly likely a prospective thief would move on to an easier target.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:19 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,786 Times in 3,651 Posts

Quote:
99.4% of golf clubs on the back of carts are not worth stealing. Seriously.
Old 04-08-2024, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
They sell bag covers with an attached cable (must supply your own lock) at the Championship pro shops. The cable can be run through a handle on the golf bag and through the accessories basket on the cart and locked. It’s not a solution that a determined thief couldn’t get around, but your clubs can’t be seen and it would certainly make it more time consuming and obvious that someone was attempting to steal your sticks. Based on that, it is highly likely a prospective thief would move on to an easier target.
They also sell them (a bit cheaper) at the Golf Store in Brownwood... It comes with a (cheap) lock and a heavy ripstop security hood. I bought a heavier lock for mine...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-08-2024, 09:36 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,761 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Even if there is a lock a person can still easily steal clubs, particularly big $$$ items like a driver and a rangefinder. On other hand if you have older, less expensive non name brand clubs, likelihood of getting stolen are less.
Totally agree, not that it could not happen, but, skilled thieves ARE going to get what they are after, lock or no lock. But, it's at least a bit of a visual deterrent. As the poster commented, if it's a high end driver (usually men's, women's are more difficult to pawn or sell) or such, they will get it. All you can do it make it look more difficult to do quickly, most are pros and will size up the easiest marks, for instance, carts parked around the actual square vrs carts parked behind the old theater building in Spanish Springs, or in the lot behind the performing arts building. Have you noticed the number of people who will go to dinner, or an event, with others and park their carts back to back just touching, making it more difficult to get behind a cart and remove clubs ? No guarantee, but most pros will "pass" on those and look for an easier, or more isolated, "mark" to hit. And, they definitely do not want just any standard set, even if it does say Callaway, or such, they want the high end custom ones.

Last edited by Pairadocs; 04-08-2024 at 09:39 PM. Reason: addition
Old 04-08-2024, 09:44 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,761 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtennent View Post
While 99+% of the time it isn’t a problem, I know folks who have had sand bottles and coolers stolen from their carts. Therefore, I take 2 minutes to remove clubs and other things from my cart when I am not golfing. Unfortunately, it is the 0.1 % of the people who cause problems. A little care keeps my life happier.
And... as sad and sickening as it is to ponder, those small coolers and sand bottles are probably NOT TAKEN by the "professional criminal" element that trolls the villages constantly", those are of no value or interest to them, so who does that leave who might take an umbrella, cooler, sand bottle ? Don't like to think about it.

Last edited by Pairadocs; 04-08-2024 at 09:46 PM. Reason: omitted a word
Old 04-09-2024, 04:26 AM

I can't imagine anyone who would steal in Florida's Friendliest Hometown.
Old 04-09-2024, 04:33 AM
Veteran member

if thieves can't get your "stuff" off the cart, they will just take the whole thing...bye bye golf cart
Old 04-09-2024, 05:18 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,144 Times in 884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
if thieves can't get your "stuff" off the cart, they will just take the whole thing...bye bye golf cart
No, I know a friend who had a lawn chair stolen from his cart!!!
Old 04-09-2024, 07:12 AM

My solution seems to do the trick...haha

The Villages Florida

But in all seriousness, it's our own responsibility to "see something, say something '
Old 04-09-2024, 07:16 AM

It might not be a problem now, but it will be in the future if you keep baiting the hook. As soon as these outside, people see that and then becomes a market for these clubs, you will lose them fair warning

Tags
golf, lock, cart, apparent, trusting/lucky

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.