Golf Cart Liability Insurance?

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2012, 07:55 AM
Location: The Villages, Florida, formerly of West Des Moines, Iowa
Default Golf Cart Liability Insurance?

After a lifestyle visit last November/December, we're planning to move to TV this year. Our house has been for sale for 2-1/2 weeks and we're already frustrated that we haven't had a serious looker, let alone that it hasn't sold!

We've spent the past two months cleaning-out, donating and selling almost everything we've accumulated since being in the same house for 22-1/2 years. We expect to easily move to TV in a 14-foot rental truck! Then, we hope to rent while we house shop.

Anyway, as we've been excitedly looking forward to what the next 20 years holds, we've wondered about the need for liability insurance on a golf cart. Is it recommended? Is it available?

Linda, AKA Flourishing Palms
http://www.FlourishingPalms.blogspot.com
Iowa
Old 03-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,955 Times in 1,161 Posts

For your average golf cart that is not street legal, I guess you could get by without insurance. However it is a motorized vehicle, they do get expensive. My Yamaha purchased last August cost $10,000. So you're in an accident you've got your own cart to repair, and possibly your body and if it's your fault maybe the other person's car, cart or body.

It's not that expensive, my insurance through Villages Insurance was $130 for the entire year. Since you're new, I'll give you a suggestion. I moved here last summer but for about two years I would search a lot of topics, such as this one, and take notes. When we arrived we already had our painter, handyman and several other services lined up or knew where to go. While you're waiting to sell your home this is a great time to gather all that info. Go to the top of the message board and click on search. Then enter for example 'golf cart insurance', you'll see tons of threads from the past year. You can do that with anything you could think of, landscaper, car dealer, etc. Good Luck in sellling your home.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:32 PM
Sage

We insure our golf cart (2011 Yamaha) with the same coverages we have on our cars:

Liability 250/500/100
Med pay 5k
Physical damage deductible 250
Unins. motorist 250/500

$167.41 per year through State Farm

These levels of coverage were necessary to also have it covered by our Umbrella policy as well.

This might be viewed as over-doing it by some. But to me, the level of exposure is no different than driving a car so why insure a golf cart any differently?

Having the coverage does help us sleep better at night. JMHO.

Bill
Old 03-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Location: The Villages, Florida, formerly of West Des Moines, Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
For your average golf cart that is not street legal, I guess you could get by without insurance. However it is a motorized vehicle, they do get expensive. My Yamaha purchased last August cost $10,000. So you're in an accident you've got your own cart to repair, and possibly your body and if it's your fault maybe the other person's car, cart or body.

It's not that expensive, my insurance through Villages Insurance was $130 for the entire year. Since you're new, I'll give you a suggestion. I moved here last summer but for about two years I would search a lot of topics, such as this one, and take notes. When we arrived we already had our painter, handyman and several other services lined up or knew where to go. While you're waiting to sell your home this is a great time to gather all that info. Go to the top of the message board and click on search. Then enter for example 'golf cart insurance', you'll see tons of threads from the past year. You can do that with anything you could think of, landscaper, car dealer, etc. Good Luck in sellling your home.
Thank you, John, for your suggestions about how to search for information we might need. Definitely, while we're waiting for our house to sell, we will be looking in advance for some of the things we'll need after we arrive. We appreciate your help!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Veteran member

"...I guess you could get by without insurance."
Please talk to your insurance agent (auto and/or homeowners) or lawyer about this issue before you take this kind of "advice".
Old 03-20-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flourishing Palms View Post
After a lifestyle visit last November/December, we're planning to move to TV this year. Our house has been for sale for 2-1/2 weeks and we're already frustrated that we haven't had a serious looker, let alone that it hasn't sold!

We've spent the past two months cleaning-out, donating and selling almost everything we've accumulated since being in the same house for 22-1/2 years. We expect to easily move to TV in a 14-foot rental truck! Then, we hope to rent while we house shop.

Anyway, as we've been excitedly looking forward to what the next 20 years holds, we've wondered about the need for liability insurance on a golf cart. Is it recommended? Is it available?

Linda, AKA Flourishing Palms
Flourishing Palms
Iowa
Love your blog! We, too have our house on the market and am anxious to move south (although we are are south... In the Atlanta area.) We have been on for 3 months and it is very slow. I am following the quilting groups' websites and excited that there are so many options. Every once in a while I wonder where we will put the stash, the mats... And my machines, I have three Featherweights that will not be parted with until they are inherited by the granddaughters and hope that is a long time from now!
Glad you asked the question, we too, will be adding that to the growing budget!
Good luck with your listing and hopefully, see you in TV soon!
Old 03-20-2012, 07:15 AM

AAA offers golf cart insurance at a very competive price.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:35 PM
Default Moving to Villages, and from Iowa as well!

I noticed that you are from Iowa. We're moving to the Villages in July, and would love to meet other Iowans. We've lived in Iowa for five decades. It also looks like you're a quilter! Please email me at kcestep@yahoo.com I would love to visit with you.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:39 AM

Allstate sold me a policy with full coverage for $86.00 per year. The agency is in Lady Lake.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer in Sanibel View Post
Allstate sold me a policy with full coverage for $86.00 per year. The agency is in Lady Lake.
We too got our coverage from Allstate through the MacDonald Agency in Lady Lake. Between them, TV Insurance and AAA's, they were the lowest.

Here are the details of that coverage:

2012 YAMAHA

Bodily Injury: $100,000/$300,000 $5.72
Guest Liability: $100,000/$300,000 $10.56
Property Damage: $100,000 $3.00
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $100,000/$300,000 $28.36
Collision: ($250 deductible) $30.55
Comprehensive: ($250 deductible) $10.37
Optional Equipment: $1,000 Included
DISCOUNTS: Good Rider, Multiple Policy, Home Ownership, Full
Pay Premium: $89.71

Whatever the OP decides, there is one thing I wouldn't agree with, and that's when it's stated you can probably get by without insurance, unless of course if you're wealthy enough that you can afford to self-insure yourself. I don't think that many of us here in TV are and besides, it's your assets that could be at risk and not the advisors!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenestep View Post
I noticed that you are from Iowa. We're moving to the Villages in July, and would love to meet other Iowans. We've lived in Iowa for five decades. It also looks like you're a quilter! Please email me at kcestep@yahoo.com I would love to visit with you.
Advance welcome to TV. You may want to give the club a call.

Iowa Club Dennis Glick 285 Jefferson Lane (352) 751-2692
The Villages, FL 32162
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.