Groceries and Golf Carts

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2021, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf6969 View Post
It is okay as long as you don't mind having to drive over that very narrow bridge that goes over highway 441 all the time.
I am glad it is there all the time.......hate to arrive to cross and find its not there.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I was new to golf carts too and had a funny learning curve just trying to run it. You need to be shown by someone or go online to learn how to turn it on and how things work. I couldn't figure out at first why the engine wasn't purring constantly like a car, or where the horn was (on the floor!!), and how to undo the 2 way flashers (use the turn signal!). So there is a little learning curve but I've loved using it and seeing people in them. The cart paths are another challenge at first, but The Villages has an APP for golf carts that could be very helpful to you. But be aware that there is very cold weather here at times, so it can get very chilly in the cart. I also found out there's holes in the floor near the peddles, so any running fast through deep puddles can come up to haunt you! HAHA I too am without a mate here (while he still has to work back north), and I find it very easy to make friends and socialize. Hope you get to come and enjoy!
Thanks so much for the info -- I see I have a lot to learn about golf carts!
Nancy
Old 01-13-2021, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,526 Times in 3,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpefloral View Post
We love being on the historic side because nearly everything is easily accessed by golf cart ...groceries, clothing, medical, hardware, restaurants. We have an older large suitcase on the back of our cart, strapped in, that works fantastic for groceries and other things (bags, insulated cooler, jackets, bungees...). Others use a wide variety of adaptations. We do not golf but find it much easier to use the cart than the car & more fun.
I have the big mesh grocery bag. I don't golf, I use my cart for transportation. If you're driving alone, here's how you can EASILY buy an entire week's worth of groceries AND stock up on essentials that you only buy when they're on sale:

Get two insulated grocery bags, and a folding small trunk organizer. The folding trunk organizer will go on the floor of the passengers' seat.

Groceries will go this way:
Eggs, bread, lightbulbs, other "breakables" will go in the basket behind the seats.
Water gallon jugs, 2-litre soda bottles, tubs of kitty litter, go on the bottom of the mesh bag in the back. Stock the insulated bags with frozen and "must refrigerate" foods, EXCEPT milk gallons. Those go on the bottom. Stack those insulated bags on top of the big gallon jugs, kitty litter, etc. You can fit 3 across, positioned sideways, if they're not overstuffed, 2 if they're very full.
You should have room for a 12-pack of toilet paper laid right out on top over everything else.
In the front of the cart, is where you put the plastic bags with your canned goods and 5-pound bags of dog food, etc. As long as it's heavy and you don't make FAST sharp turns, the trunk storage bin will stay put and not budge even an inch.

That there is 1 week of perishables and a minimum of 2 weeks of "stocking up on stuff" items.

It's basically a full shopping cart's worth of stuff and it WILL fit perfectly.

If you don't have a mesh grocery bag, you can still use the straps that you normally use, to strap in your golf cart. Put six-packs or cases of water bottles or soda on the shelf at the bottom of the back of the cart. Then hang all your grocery bags from those straps (put the strap through the bag loops), and make sure the straps are then TIGHT on their buckles. You can hang 4 grocery bags from each strap. Put the insulated bags on the passenger's seat and take it easy when you need to turn a corner. Everything else is the same.

Ask all my former customers how they loved it when I packed their carts for them because they bought more than they realized and couldn't figure out how to get them all home!

Last tip: if you don't have a trunk organizer and don't want to buy one, use paper grocery bags, or the cover of a case of paper. The point is you need a square bottom that won't tip over and slide around next to you. Make sure your b.a.g.g.e.r (can you believe the vulgarity filter ***'s that word out? Crazy. You can say ass but you can't say b.a.g.g.e.r.) at the supermarket "frames" the plastic bags. You can google that to learn what that means. If they're not framing the bags, they weren't trained properly, or they forgot to do it.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:03 AM

I bought my grocery bag on line. It was $20. Oh I have a home for sale here in the Villages very close to Publix shopping center on 466. The address is 1469 Ramon Rd. in the Village of Glenbrook. Open House every weekend from 1-4 until sold. Contact me at 914 216 9907.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:16 AM
Default Cooler

QUOTE=nancyj;1886380]Hello,
I have been researching The Villages as a place to relocate to. I am recently widowed, in my early 60s, and looking for a fresh start in a different part of Florida (I'm currently living in SW Florida). I love that golf carts are a primary way of getting around the area, but my question is about going grocery shopping at the supermarkets. I'm not that familiar with golf carts (nope - not a golfer here) but was wondering if they have a storage area or someplace to put your groceries in while you drive back home. Or do most people just drive their car to the markets and keep their groceries cool in the A/C?
Thanks for you help -[/QUOTE]
Hi Nancy
Whether by cart or by car, I always take my cooler or coolers with reusable cold packs when shopping to keep cold things cold or frozen. Generally the coolers that come with the golf carts aren’t high quality but would be ok for a quick trip. You can’t leave expensive coolers outside on your cart or they won’t be there when you get back but you might want to invest in a decent one for the car. Also, for foods that are hot that you want to stay hot, there are inexpensive bags for those foods that you can purchase online or in stores that you might consider.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
I wouldn"t say the are "dozens" of Publix here. There are alot in the Villages, accessible by golf cart, but hardly dozens
I’m sorry, maybe a dozen.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyj View Post
Hello,
I have been researching The Villages as a place to relocate to. I am recently widowed, in my early 60s, and looking for a fresh start in a different part of Florida (I'm currently living in SW Florida). I love that golf carts are a primary way of getting around the area, but my question is about going grocery shopping at the supermarkets. I'm not that familiar with golf carts (nope - not a golfer here) but was wondering if they have a storage area or someplace to put your groceries in while you drive back home. Or do most people just drive their car to the markets and keep their groceries cool in the A/C?
Thanks for you help -
Sounds like you really mean or you’re looking for a new friend, LOL.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:22 AM

Golf carts are very versatile and do have plenty of options to place groceries.
Some carts are not cheap. I have a yamaha gas cart that costs $10,000.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would suggest that you don't buy a golf cart right away. You can rent a cart by the week or month to see how you like it. I found that a car is much safer, faster, and more comfortable than a golf cart. Before I moved here, I thought that a golf cart would be great, but I never bought one and never will. My main issue is that you need to share many roads with cars and trucks. In my opinion, it's not a safe way to travel.
It is the most fun though. Probably the number one reason we bought here was to be able to get a golf cart, we have 2.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:50 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi

What area in the villages is the best place for over 70's years to settle in to meet widows and single women and close to most of the amenities.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:30 PM

We have large bag that you attach to the area where the golf bags would go. It holds quite a bit. They have a basket type thing between the golf bag holder & the front seats. Then you have the co pilots seat & foor space. That is for a 2 seat golf cart.
Presently they are selling these little electric golf cars. The have heat & air conditioning. They come in 2&4 doors. I see more & more of them on the golf cart paths. Something you may want to check out before you buy a golf cart. They have dealer right close to the Villages. I am trying to add photos to help you.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	8837BE78-D4FD-4C97-AB10-B9EF1CD4F5FB.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	87669   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	402B955C-D1C8-4872-A5DD-D56BC4A74A13.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	87670  
Old 01-13-2021, 02:16 PM
Send a message via AIM to newgirl

I have a huge bag that was installed to haul things and most have cooler areas.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevjudbaker View Post
We have large bag that you attach to the area where the golf bags would go. It holds quite a bit. They have a basket type thing between the golf bag holder & the front seats. Then you have the co pilots seat & foor space. That is for a 2 seat golf cart.
Presently they are selling these little electric golf cars. The have heat & air conditioning. They come in 2&4 doors. I see more & more of them on the golf cart paths. Something you may want to check out before you buy a golf cart. They have dealer right close to the Villages. I am trying to add photos to help you.
Love the car! Thank you for the photos
Old 01-13-2021, 02:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,611 Times in 946 Posts

It takes about a week to get comfortable with driving the golf cart (how to cross certain road, the underpasses, merging, getting through the circles, etc). The first week is stressful.
Then it take another 1 to 2 weeks to figure out how to get places - and you are all set.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:54 PM

I strongly disagree that this is primarily a couples place. I’m loving it here because it is not. There are not only many single people here but also many couples who have spouses who don’t like couples activities.
Closed Thread

Tags
groceries, golf, carts, florida, drive

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.