Gym at rec center.

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2021, 01:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagevip View Post
Lots of great outdoor spaces at the Polo Fields, for an outdoor gym... Like to see, the same kind of outdoor gym setup T.V. enjoys down south...
You do know that is private property and NOT part of the Villages..... right?
Old 01-27-2021, 03:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,113 Posts
Default And how much do you think the fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmike18 View Post
It seems that the attitude toward working out or exercising at a facility has changed since the beginning of the Villages. At one time perhaps the facilities at the recreation centers were adequate. The new residents and home owners are of a different generation. There needs for exercise and workout facilities is far greater. It is time for the Villages to build modern spacious exercise facilities, and it should be included in the amenities fee.
would go up and how do you think the large group of people who don’t exercise or go to MVP ( private owned ) or places outside the villages would react to that . Not good I think
Old 01-27-2021, 03:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,741 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAB20 View Post
It is offered through your Medicare Supplement Plan with Original Medicare, under the name Silver Sneakers.
I don't know which Medicare plans offer Silver Sneakers, but MVP in The Villages does not accept any Silver Sneakers plan except the one offered by Florida Blue Advantage.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:07 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackercraft View Post
I found an outside exercise path during our lifestyle visit but since buying here in Monarch Grove I haven't found any at all. Is there a list or map of the locations?
There are several throughout The Villages from the Orange Blossom area all the way to Fenney.

Behind the Lens: Outdoor exercise | Lifestyles | thevillagesdailysun.com
Old 01-27-2021, 04:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Free membership at MVP with these plans:

MVP Athletic Club gladly accepts the following insurance-sponsored membership plans:

Renew Active™ from UnitedHealthcare

SilverSneakers® by Florida Blue

Medicare Program - MVP Sports

Room #1 Spinning Class MVP Brownwood

The Villages Florida

The Regional Rec Centers Fitness Rooms $119 for 3 months, Watch for a $100 summer special

Village Community Development Districts

Part of Mulberry Exercise Equipment

The Villages Florida

Outdoor exercise centers - Free

Villagers exercising on the outdoor gym equipment next to Mulberry Rec Center.

The Villages Florida

Next to Rohan Rec Center is the outdoor fitness equipment.

The Villages Florida

Paradise Park on the historic side outdoor fitness center

The Villages Florida

Outside TV, "To Your Health Fitness Center" Lady Lake, Florida 441/27 across from Oakwood BBQ

The Villages Florida

$200 per person annually plus tax $219 Total

The #1 Best Lady Lake Gym - Too Your Health Spas

Membership includes 60' indoor pool, full use of gym and organized MVP style classes.

The Villages Florida

Outside TV - Anytime Fitness has 4 locations, Wildwood, Brownwood area SR 44, Lady Lake and Summerfield. They accept both Silver Slippers from Florida Blue and Renew from United Health.

https://www.anytimefitness.com/gyms/...wood-fl-34785/

The Villages Florida
Old 01-27-2021, 05:41 PM
Default Gym Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI401 View Post
Hi all,
Looking for a basic gym maybe hidden in a rec center? Mulberry has a nice one, but don’t want to take out a loan to workout. I know about the outdoor locations. Must be a basic gym facility here somewhere? Did a search, nothing. Hope someone has found a gem like this.
Thanks!
Bud
Your health insurance may cover a membership at an independent gym.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:26 AM
Default Exactly what I was thinking.

Quote:
It seems that the attitude toward working out or exercising at a facility has changed since the beginning of the Villages. At one time perhaps the facilities at the recreation centers were adequate. The new residents and home owners are of a different generation. There needs for exercise and workout facilities is far greater. It is time for the Villages to build modern spacious exercise facilities, and it should be included in the amenities fee.
Love the responses, I have looked into several of the options. As Bigmike posted, I’m 55 wife is 50 we have always used gyms and do so to fight old injuries. I can take pain pills, or stay fit. I guess I was surprised at the cost of the small villages gyms. I see a lot of money spent on amenities, I would assume this is something worth pursuing. You see the cost of a gym is space, cooling and related costs. Here the building is already there, mostly unused. Adding a gym has a startup cost, but with reasonable fees could turn a profit quickly. I think the Mulberry location will work for me just based on convenience. Maybe over time TV will expand these locations.
Bud
Old 01-29-2021, 10:28 AM
Default Blue cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdos0106 View Post
Your health insurance may cover a membership at an independent gym.
I will check into that, I have Blue cross so not sure they have relationships here. It’s a New England based provider.
Thanks
Bud
Old 01-29-2021, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,113 Posts
Default No other place I’ve been gives you

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI401 View Post
Love the responses, I have looked into several of the options. As Bigmike posted, I’m 55 wife is 50 we have always used gyms and do so to fight old injuries. I can take pain pills, or stay fit. I guess I was surprised at the cost of the small villages gyms. I see a lot of money spent on amenities, I would assume this is something worth pursuing. You see the cost of a gym is space, cooling and related costs. Here the building is already there, mostly unused. Adding a gym has a startup cost, but with reasonable fees could turn a profit quickly. I think the Mulberry location will work for me just based on convenience. Maybe over time TV will expand these locations.
Bud
so many options for free exercise programs and as far as gyms
Go when used regularly the everyday cost becomes minimal, adding into the amenities will be a problem for many . I have nothing against the silver sneakers program and those like it but many never stick to it and some just use up space doing nothing but socializing and overwhelm some smaller places good for owner not good for paying members . I am a guy who works out regularly, during the lockdown I got a good workout using a combination of home and villages out door machines if a gym membership is a hardship for you then get it like I did during lockdown for free it worked for me at 82 or you can always get a go fund me page to get help with your gym membership

Last edited by charlieo1126@gmail.com; 01-29-2021 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-29-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
I’ve been working out in gyms since 1975. About ten years ago, I decided to work out at home and even though I have a lifetime membership to a gym chain, I would never go back.

All I have at home is dumbbells, a bench and tension bands, and I get as good a workout as I ever did, even at my advanced age!

And all without people hogging equipment, putting their towels on unused equipment, horrible music and posers! The change was almost as pivotal as moving to the Villages!

So there’s that. You may or may not want to consider it.
I've been working out at home since the start of the pandemic and have cancelled my gym membership for good.

I've found that a few kettle bells can go a long way but my main workout equipment is something called the X3 Bar. It's not cheap ($500) and the inventor has stretched the truth about scientific studies regarding resistance band training but I love it. It's awkward to work with at first but after a few weeks it's fine. Just follow the program on the website and you can get a good "weight training" workout in 15 minutes. Which includes squats + deadlifts. All in your living room and with much less chance of injury compared to regular weights.

And the inventor is obviously juicing but that doesn't mean the product doesn't have benefits.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,941 Times in 2,461 Posts

I get plenty of exercise walking from edge of green to putt and getting off my cart and in fairway while smoking my cigar. I also have to walk to starter shack and back. During the turn I get plenty walking to tiki bar to full up with some energy drink 🍺 and my triple daily does of protein. By time I get home I’m ready for nap till I go out to eat. Gym? Who needs gym!
Old 01-30-2021, 12:57 PM
Default Oh, that’s funny 😄

Quote:
Well we had a beautiful one next to the Sharon Morse building back in the early 2000’s. It even had an indoor swimming pool. The also held healthy cooking classes. Now all of this did have costs. They were not free. The powers that be decided to fill in the pool, remodel the building and now it’s Doctors offices.
Closed Thread

Tags
gym, rec, center, basic, outdoor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.