Military Moments

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Default Military Moments

Share a moment in your military service that touched your heart?
Old 05-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

I was a "military brat" for 17 years, so hope that qualifies to answer this thread. My favorite memory is watching my dad march in formation to "Stars and Stripes Forever" while we were stationed in Alaska. I was 5 years old. My mother pointed him out to me because everyone looked the same in their blue air force uniforms. Suddenly, all the soldiers turned their heads in the same direction, which happened to be facing the grandstand where we all sat. My daddy winked at us! I felt proud, tickled and so special. I also remember him receiving medals, which was special. But having your parading daddy wink at you when you are 5 years old is hard to beat.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Another military brat (Army) here. My father was one of the soldiers at Dachau when the prisoners were released. As a matter of fact, he met my mother there. She was at the gates hoping that her mother, cousins and daughter might have survived (she escaped -- the entire family were kept in the "Aryan" portion of the camp as political prisoners). So far as we know, she was the only survivor. (Not really part of this story, but ....)

When I was about 6, a man stopped my father on the street in Bonn. He remembered my father even though it had been well over ten years since he had seen my father for less than 15 minutes. I will never forget that man holding my father's hand as he told me about how kind and gentle my dad was that day, how Dad carried the man to a waiting ambulance, gave him a piece of chocolate and cried with him. The man told me that it was the kindness and gentleness of my father that made him realize the world was not as bad of a place as he had thought it was, that there was a lot of good still in the world and that no matter how much hate there was, there was always love to overcome that hate. That incident meant far more to me than all of Dad's medals and other accomplishments.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Another military brat (Army) here. My father was one of the soldiers at Dachau when the prisoners were released. As a matter of fact, he met my mother there. She was at the gates hoping that her mother, cousins and daughter might have survived (she escaped -- the entire family were kept in the "Aryan" portion of the camp as political prisoners). So far as we know, she was the only survivor. (Not really part of this story, but ....)

When I was about 6, a man stopped my father on the street in Bonn. He remembered my father even though it had been well over ten years since he had seen my father for less than 15 minutes. I will never forget that man holding my father's hand as he told me about how kind and gentle my dad was that day, how Dad carried the man to a waiting ambulance, gave him a piece of chocolate and cried with him. The man told me that it was the kindness and gentleness of my father that made him realize the world was not as bad of a place as he had thought it was, that there was a lot of good still in the world and that no matter how much hate there was, there was always love to overcome that hate. That incident meant far more to me than all of Dad's medals and other accomplishments.
Thanks for sharing this story. It is heart-warming. Your story brought back memories of experiences with my father.

My Dad would never talk about his experiences in the war. In the early to mid-50s my sister and I were exploring in the attic and found pictures of a camp (not sure which one) that his Army unit liberated. One of the pictures was of naked bodies stacked as high as a two story building. My father was so upset that we had seen them. That night he gathered all of the materials that he brought back from the war and buried them. We never talked of it again.

My father has had a very slowly progressing Alzheimer's for the past 15 years. He's in a very good nursing home now and doesn't remember much of anything. During an earlier phase he remembered things long past. He went through many months where he recalled who he served with, their names, where they were from, if they were married, funny stories, and for many of them, how they died. He would just sit there and sob for hours. He experienced most of this as a teenager who quit school to serve. He's my hero and my inspiration.

Xavier

Last edited by Xavier; 05-20-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Platinum member
Default To everyone who posts here

We can never know how something we say or do will ripple out into the world, and keep their energy and value even years later.
The stories you are sharing with us are evidence of that ripple effect, touching and inspirational to us all. These are stories we will remember.

Your loved ones may never know the full effect of their gestures and actions, but it is profound, and this topic today, and your willingness to share their light
is a gift to us as well as to them.
You have the additional honor of knowing that each of you has come from the best stock there is.
I am so glad you shared your heritage with us.
Debbie Pugh
Old 05-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Platinum member

And, I hope you will observe Armed Forces Day tomorrow, Sat. 5/21.

SWR
Old 05-20-2011, 10:27 PM

About 7 years ago I was a crew chief on the KC-10 aircraft that went to Offutt AFB for an airshow. The day before the airshow started almost all the aircrews opened up there aircraft for a group of Make a Wish kids. The kids and there families all had a great time. The kids grabbed us and had pictures taken. We were hero's to them, they were hero's to me. I've never been so touched by the smiles and hugs we received. I'm a lot more thankful for good health and my family.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:46 PM

Attachment 301 Americas Finest, Thank you

Last edited by silvertoken; 05-24-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:03 PM

230195_1727054180243_1355085573_31597863_3626218_n-jpg Nov.7,2001 Still attending Funerals. Thank you, Armed Forces .
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.