Hello! My first post here on TOTV

Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2023, 12:36 AM
Default Hello! My first post here on TOTV

Hello! I just joined TOTV and have learned a bit from reading here the last few days and looking forward to learning more!

I'm interested in renting in The Villages to see if it would be a nice place to eventually buy property. Not sure how to find all options for renting.

Interested in a 6 month lease starting fall of '24. My ideal place would be small, 2 bdrm, 2 bath with a nice screened in porch. I'm an outdoor person. No smoking. I do have cats and a small 12lb poodle that thinks he's a human.

Since I'd be moving belongings with me I'd need a garage for storage til I have my own place. I'm downsizing A LOT the next few months so will only need a single garage at the most. Don't want to pay to move it all. I'm moving from upper midwest.

I lived in FL many years ago on the east side close to the beaches so I'm interested to hear about where everyone goes for a beach trip. Looks like most beaches are about 1.5hr - 2hrs away?

I'm making a list of all the clubs and WOW I'm impressed at the options!

Anyway... thanks for reading thus far.

Ann
Old 12-05-2023, 04:40 AM
Gold member

Welcome!

Start looking early for a place to rent, & secure it early. Mostly because rentals that allow pets are fewer. They exist, but are less common than the 'no pets' listings.

There are sites that advertise rentals: Rent From A Villager | Rental Homes in The Villages Florida | Advertise Your Village Rental ,
this site we are currently on, under the Real Estate heading, Couture Properties, LLC - Property Management & The Villages Rentals , 403 Forbidden , https://*****************.com/ , VH4R Home Rentals in The Villages Florida The Villages Rentals , https://www.thevillageshpm.com/, & sites like **** & many others.

For beaches since we are centrally located you can either go west to the Gulf coast or east to the Atlantic beaches. Both are great options.
Old 12-05-2023, 09:25 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB444 View Post
Hello! I just joined TOTV and have learned a bit from reading here the last few days and looking forward to learning more!

I lived in FL many years ago on the east side close to the beaches so I'm interested to hear about where everyone goes for a beach trip. Looks like most beaches are about 1.5hr - 2hrs away?
Hi Ann! Just to chime in on the beaches, you are correct. Ponce Inlet is beautiful but close to a 2 hour drive from this area. Then on the opposite coast, I would recommend Clearwater, about the same drive distance.
The Villages has so many activities and FREE entertainment/music daily in the downtown squares, Spanish Springs, Lake Sumter, and Brownwood, all within about 30 mins-45 mins from each other (depending on traffic of course). Wishing you good luck on your search for a rental. If you have any electrical needs while you are here, we would love to be an option you/your landlord calls upon. Safe travels! - Casandra

(352)748-6251
Old 12-05-2023, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

You will need 2 realtors when you start looking at purchasing a house, a Villages agent for NEW houses, and an MLS agent for resales.

From your description it sounds like you are looking at villas, be sure you completely understand the property lines and access rights, we found these to be way too restrictive and the houses to be way too close for us.

There is a section on this site for information before you move here, which would be a very good primer for your investigation.

The southern area is not as developed as the northern area.

The Villages is now approaching 70 square MILES, I am sure you will find what you are looking for.
Old 12-05-2023, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Welcome. I must have slipped in here before the normal greeter of new posters. She will probably be along at some point.
Old 12-05-2023, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:

I'm interested in renting in The Villages to see if it would be a nice place to eventually buy property. Not sure how to find all options for renting.

Interested in a 6 month lease starting fall of '24. My ideal place would be small, 2 bdrm, 2 bath with a nice screened in porch. I'm an outdoor person. No smoking. I do have cats and a small 12lb poodle that thinks he's a human.

Since I'd be moving belongings with me I'd need a garage for storage til I have my own place. I'm downsizing A LOT the next few months so will only need a single garage at the most. Don't want to pay to move it all. I'm moving from upper midwest.

Ann
A before-the-fact welcome, Ann!

Some quick comments...

There has already been some good advice about renting. Depending on when you plan to begin your six months here, we are approaching high snowbird season which lasts through March, with rentals correspondingly high. You can rent off-season (say, May through October) for significantly less. Of course we're talking summer with heat and humidity, but I'm from Minnesota (AKA "da Tundra") and had no problems at all adjusting to it. Better for a lot of reasons...less crowded which means correspondingly less headache shopping, tee times, etc. Also driving is (somewhat) better and less crowded during the summer/fall months.

A lot of storage here, both in-Villages and corresponding areas (Wildwood, Summerfield, etc.). You should have no problem finding some. The place you rent will probably have a garage but depending on the amount of stuff you bring it may not be enough.

Most people depend on golf carts for daily transportation. If the place you rent doesn't have one, you can get rentals from places (Villages Golf Cars, Villages DISCOUNT Golf Cars, etc.) that sell them.

North of 466 is more established (and frankly I prefer it) but that depends on your tastes. More entertainment, shopping, recreational opportunities, etc. in the north but south of 466 has a younger and consequently more active population.

IMO 90% of the folks who live here are happy, satisfied people who make great neighbors and friends. The 10% who aren't though sure seem to make a lot of noise. Don't take anyone's word for that though...keep an open mind and form your own conclusions.

Best of luck!!!
Old 12-05-2023, 11:16 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

When searching for rentals it will help to know the terminology. A 2/2 is a 1200 sq ft patio villa. You will want to use a pet frendly filter and either a furnished or unfurnished filter.

It is helpful to get a rental in the area where you intend to purchase. All new homes are 'south of 44'.

If you are a golfer the homes north of 44 have a higher density of golf courses while those south have more nature walks and bike paths.
Old 12-05-2023, 11:27 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
You will need 2 realtors when you start looking at purchasing a house, a Villages agent for NEW houses, and an MLS agent for resales.

From your description it sounds like you are looking at villas, be sure you completely understand the property lines and access rights, we found these to be way too restrictive and the houses to be way too close for us.

There is a section on this site for information before you move here, which would be a very good primer for your investigation.

The southern area is not as developed as the northern area.

The Villages is now approaching 70 square MILES, I am sure you will find what you are looking for.
Villagetinker is arguably the most helpful and knowledgeable poster on this site. One clarification to his post here; MLS agents can only sell resales, while VIllages associates can sell both new and resale homes. The homes listed on MLS will not be offered by The Villages and vice versa. You also will need to check Zillow and FSBO for private listings. We purchased and sold our last home that way. Good luck!
Old 12-05-2023, 07:06 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
Welcome!

Start looking early for a place to rent, & secure it early. Mostly because rentals that allow pets are fewer. They exist, but are less common than the 'no pets' listings.

There are sites that advertise rentals: Rent From A Villager | Rental Homes in The Villages Florida | Advertise Your Village Rental ,
this site we are currently on, under the Real Estate heading, Couture Properties, LLC - Property Management & The Villages Rentals , 403 Forbidden , https://*****************.com/ , VH4R Home Rentals in The Villages Florida The Villages Rentals , https://www.thevillageshpm.com/, & sites like **** & many others.

For beaches since we are centrally located you can either go west to the Gulf coast or east to the Atlantic beaches. Both are great options.
Also suggest you check the website for Vacation Rentals by Owner.. You can deal directly with the owner and apply the filters needed, especially pet friendly.
Old 12-06-2023, 07:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Ann

well buying property is one thing, just to note you just can't buy a lot and sit on it. Otherwise you're in line and geared up just like everyone else that got the sales pitch LOL
Old 12-06-2023, 08:13 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

Your dog..... your ideal rental will be a courtyard villa. You can let your dog outside in the courtyard villas. They yard is small, but so is your dog. You cannot fence yards, so a courtyard is the only way your dog can run and play off leash... excluding dog parks, which are not ideal. You should know there are dangers here to small dogs. Coyotes, Bobcats, Eagles, Owls, Hawks and of course gators. Never walk your dog near the edge of any body of water here.
Old 12-06-2023, 08:41 AM
Default New comer as well.

Hi Ann, Hubby and I will be moving to the Lake Denham area in 2 weeks. We bought a home last month and getting ready for the big move from Indiana (midwest). I would love to get together for a drink when you get settled.. or go hang out at a beach.
Take care,
-Joyce

Quote:

Ann
Old 12-06-2023, 08:46 AM

Good Luck in your search! As many of these postings have given you some advice on whom you may turn to, I would like to suggest you AVOID DownHome Properties on 466A. They have a record of not doing well by their landlords (who they purpoerted represent) nor by the tenants who use their services (such that they may be).

Otherwise, good luck, there are many fine landlords and businesses that can help you out!
Old 12-06-2023, 07:51 PM

Since it appears as if you are unfamiliar with the types of homes that are here in The Villages, you might want to look at this web site to see what floor plans are in each category. Homefinder - The Villages(R) Homes and Villas for Sale

From your description of what you are wanting to rent, it sounds like either a PATIO VILLA or a COURTYARD VILLA would work for you. This web site will show you those layouts so you can determine if it would work. As others have said, the Courtyard Villas have a fenced back area while the Patio Villas do not. But almost all have a 1 car garage that you could use to store your items.

Good Luck!
Old 12-07-2023, 09:04 PM

Thank you all for the nice welcome and all the great info!

I've been looking at the links that you've provided for rentals and building... model types.

Good idea about the dog. It would be nice to have an area of yard just for him. He doesn't need a lot of room to run since he's very small. And well, he's a poodle and thinks that running amok is undignified. (haha)

Ponce Inlet looks wonderful! I also like the gulf side and usually stay in the Indian Rocks Bch area when I visit.

Thank you recommending that I become aware of property lines and how close together some of the homes can be. I'll be taking that into consideration.

Thirdof5 - I also am from MN and Wisco. Lived in Palm Bch area for many years so yep, it does get hot in the summer! Better than putting up with a MN winter though, Id say!

Doug thanks for letting me know who to avoid for rentals.

Thanks again everyone!!
Closed Thread

Tags
place, interested, nice, options, small

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.