Hello from South Florida

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotme View Post
My wife and I currently live in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Moved down here from Long Island, NY in 2005. Wanted an adult community but unfortunately there is not much to do here. Currently actively looking at The Villages as a possible move.

I have heard it is great, but can be really crowded. I would be interested in any and all comments regarding this area. I look forward to participating in this forum.
Thank you
You will not go wrong moving here. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

I've only lived here for four months, but I stayed here for a week in December and didn't find it crowded at all.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Gold member

ugotme

We are almost through moving up from North Palm Beach. Also former Long Islanders. Been in a condo for 19 yrs., but only retired for about 4 yrs. Most of the retirees in the condo are 10-15 yrs older than us, and live like cave dwellers. It is so nice to be out and about in The Villages. You can't believe it until you see it in person. We are now among active and outgoing people with lots in common, yet lots of diversity.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:31 PM

I've lived in the FLL area since '68; my wife was born here. This area has been and continues to be a great place for so many reasons. Unfortunately, those reasons do not include a decent range of opportunities for active retirees, as you well know, ugotme.

After a considerable amount of research, which included spending hours (days-months!?!) on this forum, several road trips to and stays in TV, talking with TVers, many of whom previously retired to other FL/AZ communities, and recommendations from 3 former co-workers who retired here, we bought in TV last August in prep for retirement this year. We are 60/40 TV-FLL residents now. Family obligations preclude us from increasing that percentage. There will be things we will miss deeply once we put FLL in the rear view mirror for the last time. All things considered, however, TV is the best retirement option for us.

Each person's particular situation is different. You will eventually make a decision that best suits your retirement lifestyle. TV is not a good fit for everybody, but it is a great fit for over 80,000 retirees, and counting.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Location: TV, Vero Beach, Fl., Ft. Lauderdale, Fl., Boston, Ma.

Having lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 28 years and now The Villages, I can tell you that Dec-Mar will be much the same but bear in mind that the population in Ft. Lauderdale is much larger. Nevertheless you now have the experience of the "Bird population in So. Fla. so it probably won't bother you quite as much as those who don't know what snowbird season is all about when moving here. I believe that as a senior citizen the Villages will be much more appealing to you. If I were in my 20-30's I personally would never want to be anywhere other than Ft. Lauderdale. (which is where I spent my 20-30's!!!) To each his own.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

we love TV in october and november
Old 07-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Sage

We just returned from Delray Beach, vacating our condo that is finally sold, we hope. We've been in TV for four years and we think it's so much nicer here than South FL. Although Delray Beach (The Village by the Sea) is a really upscale and neat town, the whole area seems congested. We were always bothered by the "conspicuous consumption." When we gave up boating, there was no reason to stay.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
We just returned from Delray Beach, vacating our condo that is finally sold, we hope. We've been in TV for four years and we think it's so much nicer here than South FL. Although Delray Beach (The Village by the Sea) is a really upscale and neat town, the whole area seems congested. We were always bothered by the "conspicuous consumption." When we gave up boating, there was no reason to stay.
Carla. Sounds like our story. Sold the boat in January, now no reason to stay on the coast. However, instead of selling the waterfront condo in this market, we are going to be renting it out seasonally for a while.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotme View Post
Once again, thank you for all your input - I look forward to picking your brain(s) on other threads. Will be heading up there in early October can't wait to check it out!
You've gotten some good feedback so far. We have been in October and I believe polo starts in late September or early October and runs until early, mid-November, so be sure to put that on your list of things to do. We are about to move down permanently (late August), but normally avoided the peak season during our 9 weekly visits to TV. However, we did go down this past February to put an offer on a house and was pleasantly surprised. Maybe we had "peak season" built up more than we found. Didn't have time to play golf, but dined out every meal except breakfast. I guess the "crowd" depends on what time you dine. We didn't have much of a wait at all.

October is absolutely beautiful in TV and this year it will be really great. . . BECAUSE WE'LL BE LIVING THERE FULL-TIME!!!!! Yes I feel like - - and could leap tall buildings in a single bound! Well, maybe a small doll house.

Welcome to TOTV! You'll love this forum. It has provided us a wealth of information. We have gotten tons of recommendations for everything from doctors to lawn care. Lived in Montgomery most of our lives and don't have access to recommendations like you get on this forum.

If you come in October during the third week of the month, be sure to come to Crispers on Friday at 3PM, you'll get a chance to meet many great people on TOTV in person. Pretty neat! We'll be there and look forward to meeting you!
Old 07-25-2012, 09:14 PM

Come for a couple days and you will be planning your move on the way home!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:50 AM

We lived in South Florida (Boca, Coral Springs, Deerfield Beach) for 20 years and moved here a year ago. The busiest days here during the winter would be considered a slow day in Ft Lauderdale. During season in the south it could take 30 minutes to go half a mile to cross intercostal bridge. TV traffic in season beats the heck out of Ft Lauderdale.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.