Hesitant about moving to TV

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden guru View Post
My best advice to you would be to try The Villages for an extended period of time before committing to buying. If we'd been smart enough to rent for, say, 6 months, we wouldn't be living here. One week trips just don't give a realistic impression of the place. We moved into our new home in Fernandina in April 2013 and are very disappointed. Our neighbors say "hello", but that's about it. We meet people at clubs or in classes, but they're only acquaintances. There are no golf leagues here, so finding ongoing golfing buddies is problematic. Previously, we lived within a half hour's drive of a metropolitan area of 1+ million people, and we miss the amenities of the city: the shopping, the parks, the large library system, the sporting events, the theatres, etc. It wasn't like we took part in city events on a daily basis, but they were there when we wanted them. We also miss the diverse population of the city. Frankly, we're tired of dealing with nothing but well-to-do, self-absorbed, old, white people day after day. We could kick ourselves for being so gullible and believing all the propaganda we were fed. I encourage you to think for yourselves.
There are plenty of realtors selling and plenty of buyers buying. Maybe you should try to make some connections that way.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

chris123 - how does one leave famly? not easy to do until you are ready to do it! without feeling that you will be okay without them and they will be okay without you - there can't be much of a comfort level. our friends who are working toward that goal snowbird in the villages - they get out of winter's snow and cold and have a break from the needs of kids/grandchildren; and then they are ever so happy to get back home to enjoy all that was missed over the winter! it works well for their entire family.

and as far as new neighborhood vs established neighborhood..........................

we bought in an established neighborhood [none more established! - as we live on the historic side - the original villages!] and after a week or so of moving in, adjusting and waving to folks who passed by the house, we hosted a driveway party to meet our neighbors. i printed up an invitation and hand delivered [not easy for this shy type to do!] one to each house on our street - meeting folks that way made it more likely they would stop by. the invite asked them to come to a 'meet and greet' and it worked out swell! some neighbors had not spent meaningful time with each other for quite a while! we love our 'well-to-do, self-absorbed, old, white people' neighbors and friends in the villages! and we love our multi-national friends and neighbors, too!

Old 08-03-2013, 09:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris123 View Post
This is the 2nd trip for my husband and myself. I must say that our stay in the Sullivan Villas was more friendly with the neighbors than our current stay in Mallory Hills. When we are out and about in TV everyone is very friendly and more than willing to provide us with info about The Villages. But here it seems everyone puts their heads down when we ride by. As far as I know I know absolutely no one down here and i'm friendly but not extremely outgoing and I am concerned that it would be a while before I would join in, in the activities. The hardest part about considering to move is leaving my 7 kids and 13 grandchildren. How do you make the break?
"I have noticed that a man is usually about as happy as he has made up his mind to be."

This quote has been attributed to Abraham Lincoln but the true origin is uncertain. Regardless of the origin, I find it to be a very profound statement.

As you read this board over time you will find those who are mostly positive and those who are mostly complainers
Old 08-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Veteran member

We moved to Fernandina in December. I think that we were the 3rd or 4th family on our street. We made it a point to say hello to everyone when they moved in. Some clearly want their privacy and I respect that. Some folks will come talk in the middle of the street. It is the same mix of folks that I remember from most of the (many) places that I lived over the years.

Best way to make friends is to join (or at least visit) some clubs. Look in the rec news - there are clubs for almost everything. In Fernandina, Fernandina & Friends has at least a couple social events going on each month. There's a Thur am shuffleboard "beginner's league" where you can meet folks who moved in about the same time as you and are probably no better at shuffleboard than you. But it is a nice social activity where you will meet some very nice people.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris123 View Post
This is the 2nd trip for my husband and myself. I must say that our stay in the Sullivan Villas was more friendly with the neighbors than our current stay in Mallory Hills. When we are out and about in TV everyone is very friendly and more than willing to provide us with info about The Villages. But here it seems everyone puts their heads down when we ride by. As far as I know I know absolutely no one down here and i'm friendly but not extremely outgoing and I am concerned that it would be a while before I would join in, in the activities. The hardest part about considering to move is leaving my 7 kids and 13 grandchildren. How do you make the break?
This was posted on July 14. Has anyone else noticed the OP has not come back to the thread?
Old 08-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Once you comedown here and start attending clubs in which you are interested, you will hundreds of people with the same interests.

Even by just going to the pools you will meet plenty of people.

I find that 90% of the people wave or nod when I drive by in my golf cart or on my bicycle. sure there are some that don'd some people are not all that friendly, but I would guess that the America's Friendliest Home Town motto is pretty close to being true.

Just look at all the people you are meeting on this forum. There are many opportunities to meet them in person as well.

One thing that you shouldn't be concerned about down here is meeting new people and making friends.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
This was posted on July 14. Has anyone else noticed the OP has not come back to the thread?
Exactly ! First time poster and then never came back.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayschic View Post
Exactly ! First time poster and then never came back.

Don't you just wonder some times? Who are these folks who don't come back?
Old 08-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I wonder about that all the time. I especially wonder about those that post something for sale and then never come back. Oh well.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

They are people interested in the villages and there maybe reasons they didn't come back like changed their minds, got sick, died ect...... Don't some times you just wish some of us wouldn't come back!
Old 08-04-2013, 08:40 AM
Veteran member

I can only speak about ourselves. We have never relied on our children to provide our social life, and even though we lived only 30 miles apart we were lucky to see them several times a year. Now we see them at least twice a year, an intensive couple of days (compared to a few hours at a family dinner or such) and that is plenty for all of us. At the present time we do not have any grandchildren (and it does not seem to be in anyone's plans either); everyone has their own life, as do we, and what works for you may not work for others. We are fine with the mileage seperation.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.