Home Office

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKat1 View Post
Aren't there a number of people who operate home watch, home cleaning, repair services etc. from their homes? How does that work/qualify?
homeowners that rent their homes...
Are they supposed to have a Florida tax number?

if one has a florida tax number, are they not a florida business?

There must be a retired or current attorney among us who might be able to do some interpreting, that is if he doesn't talk to us from a home in TV!

L&L
Old 12-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Platinum member
Default I Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
Me???? That's hard to imagine.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 12-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
You are not permitted to conduct any kind of business in your home in The Villages.

I am 90% retired from my business "World Radio Inc." but because the Company is still listed in my name with my address, I was told by the Deed Compliance office that I am in violation. I told them that I do no business here and even if I did, it would only be contacting my offices in New York and Rhode Island. Absolutely no disruption to anybody in the neighborhood, no traffic, no transactions, just an occasional conference call with my partner who now runs the company.

That didn't matter, I was instructed to discontinue using my home as a business location. I asked what they would do if I didn't comply. They said they would turn it over to the County for action against me. (Whatever that means). I asked about all the other people who do business: real estate agents, ebayers, home watch services, handyman services and so on. I was told that they were in violation too and would receive notices when located.

I was turned in to the Deed Compliance office by a man that we banned from TOTV a year ago. A man, who by the way, conducts a business from his home.

I want to add here that "World Radio Inc." has absolutely nothing to do with Talk of The Villages. They are totally separate. TOTV is actually located on a server in British Columbia, Canada, the IT department is in Nashville, TN and the editorial section is in Erie, Pennsylvania.
Talk Host,
That's the pits. It makes no sense. However, it does remind me how appreciative I am that you keep TOTV a civil place so that people as petty as the man you described don't ruin TOTV for the rest of us. I'm sorry that you had to take a hit for us, by being sabotaged by this creep. I feel the least I can do upon reading this, is to say, "thank you". Hugs.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:02 AM

If I were to continue my business when I move to TV, I would be using a computer and fax and would be receiving small padded envelopes with mini-cassette tapes in them in the mail 2 to 3 times a week. Could I get by using my Villages address? Could I get "turned in" by the mailman? Or would I be better off getting a post office box not in The Villages?

Thanks,
Margaret in CT
Old 12-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Founder

The strictest guidelines say you need an address outside The Villages. The mailman will not report you. However, if somebody ever does report you, chances are you will be instructed to either discontinue the operation or get a location outside the villages.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
If I were to continue my business when I move to TV, I would be using a computer and fax and would be receiving small padded envelopes with mini-cassette tapes in them in the mail 2 to 3 times a week. Could I get by using my Villages address? Could I get "turned in" by the mailman? Or would I be better off getting a post office box not in The Villages?

Thanks,
Margaret in CT

These issues could get to be real hair splitters. So let's say you got a PO box outside the compound, picked up the packages, sent and received the FAX transmissions from 'outside'

With some of what we have been reading, you would have to do your 'work' before returning.

Taken to the limit, would that mean no phone calls related to the business, maybe no creative thinking, planning?

We've given on air phone interviews related to our business from home and do a fair share of email from home.

Will we have to disarm the PDA upon going through the gates?

No, we are not being facetious in the least.

In an ideal world, seems like communication would in no way impact the quality of life in the way that visitors, large inventory, and a landscape trailer full of mowers, weedwackers and gas cans would.

Seems like this topic could get very interesting and we will be tuning in frequently.

Keep it coming.

L&L
Old 12-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post

Thanks,
Margaret in CT
I would say wait until you get caught and plead ignorance. 99% of those that run business in TV probably have not been bothered. I golf with a lady who does hair care at her house and has never been bothered. TH managed to upset someone so he was turned in.

MY deed restrictions state in section 2.9 that: Properties within the subdivision are intended for residential use and no commercial, professional or similar activity requiring either maintaining an inventory, equipment or customer/client visits may be conducted in a Home or on a Lot.

I use a computer and have a fax for personal use so that would be not-business equipment. As far as the PO is concerned, unless someone complains I see no problem there. I get my Blockbuster DVDS on a regular basis so who would notice.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Veteran member

I just still cannot believe this. The term “selective enforcement” comes to mind. How many ads in the Village Daily Sun have the term “Village Resident” in them? Don’t you think that many, the great majority, do business from their home? I did a quick online search and found that many of the phone numbers are cell phones, but many are land lines located in, wait for it, The Villages! What if I was buying in The Villages and asked my friendly sales agent if I could have a consulting business that would require me to use my computer and phone? I bet that she would say yes. I believe that the covenant that I signed, which I have posted in this thread allows me to do that. If I were cited, we would be heading to court. It looks like the powers that be have a don’t ask, don’t tell policy. This is never good.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:47 PM

[QUOTE=zcaveman;240238]I would say wait until you get caught and plead ignorance.

This works for me! With many retirees continuing to work part-time and so much work can now done with just a computer and maybe a phone, I wonder if restrictions at TV and other communities will be easing up some.

Thanks for the responses.

Margaret in CT
Old 12-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
MY deed restrictions state in section 2.9 that: Properties within the subdivision are intended for residential use and no commercial, professional or similar activity requiring either maintaining an inventory, equipment or customer/client visits may be conducted in a Home or on a Lot.
I would think many home business would not fall under these restrictions.

Such as:

running an Ebay business where you do drop-ships
doing someones accounting, taxes, financial planning (without visits of course)
doing transcriptions for doctors or lawyers from mini-cassettes or dvds as mentioned.
etc. etc.

As mentioned, I will bet that there are over 1 thousand people who run some form of business from their home in TV. Heck I know at least 5 and I don't even live there yet
Old 12-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
I would think many home business would not fall under these restrictions.

Such as:

running an Ebay business where you do drop-ships
doing someones accounting, taxes, financial planning (without visits of course)
doing transcriptions for doctors or lawyers from mini-cassettes or dvds as mentioned.
etc. etc.

As mentioned, I will bet that there are over 1 thousand people who run some form of business from their home in TV. Heck I know at least 5 and I don't even live there yet

If your home business on E-bay includes your home address in any fashion, you're toast. If the doctor or lawyer sends your paycheck to your home address, you're in violation. If your financial planning enterprise is located at Mr. and Mrs. financial planner, your address, The Villages, they can make you shut it down.

That's what the Deed Restriction Office told me.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Sage

I understand that is what they told you.

I'm pointing out that the rules as written don't say that (at least what we saw). So how can they say differently?
Old 12-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Gold member

Quote:
If your home business on E-bay includes your home address in any fashion, you're toast. If the doctor or lawyer sends your paycheck to your home address, you're in violation. If your financial planning enterprise is located at Mr. and Mrs. financial planner, your address, The Villages, they can make you shut it down.

That's what the Deed Restriction Office told me.
TH -

This thread has my interest because it came up recently with someone I know who says they checked it out with someone at deed compliance. During the discussion I said I thought the deed restrictions prohibited them from operating a business. They invested some money in their new home based business and said they wouldn't have done that unless they knew it was okay.

This is what they claim they were told - a home business is okay if: 1) your home address does not appear in any advertising, 2) you do not create traffic at your home (but claimed they were told you could allow one visit per day), 3) you are not running equipment that is loud, creates a nuisance, etc.

This conversation took place a while ago and I didn't ask for the name of the person at the deed restriction office. It would be interesting to compare who you (TH) spoke with and who they spoke with, and why there are two very different responses. I know it goes against what I have read in the deed restrictions but I have to agree with a lot of the comments in this thread - we all know that there are people working out of their homes - and where do you draw the line?

And - the BIG "AND" - what exactly are they going to do to someone who operates a business out of their home such as computer work? I guess for that matter even if you are making golf clubs in your garage and selling them, what can happen? I doubt the sheriff will ride in and take you away in handcuffs. ("Your honor, Mr. Jones is charged with operating a computer and formulating a spreadsheet. He even sent an email to a customer. Recommend no bail, after all if he sent an email he must know someone outside this area and therefore he's a flight risk. He has no ties to the community, we all know he's from somewhere else. The DA is looking for a 30 year sentence.")

We all agree to live with deed restrictions to make this a better place. I can understand the logic behind no business operations from one's home but I think any reasonable person would say there is some room for interpretation here, and I think you (TH) were the victim in this case.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Platinum member
Default Between a Rock and a Hard Place.

TH is the only one we know of who has been affected out of possibly hundreds even thousands of "offenders". However, his "business" seems to subject to the restrictions. Unfortunately some mean spirited individual reported him.

Now the Deed Compliance must either enforce or ignore. If they ignore they are not doing their job. It is not up to them to judge anymore than it is a police officer's job to judge. If they did ignore Mr. Mean Spirited he would/could cause no end of trouble.

There have been cases similar to this argued in court.

BTW, don't blame it all on The Villages deed restrictions. The county has deed restrictions as well.

Now, back to TH's business. IMHO it doesn't fall in the home business category. No traffic, no clients visiting, no noise, no odor, no illuminations, no signs, no equipment. Telephones and computers are normal household items. One could probably walk through his house and see no sign of a business operation. But, big but, I am not deed compliance.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:21 PM

In my declaration, there is a section titled "Enforcement".

I read it as stating that owners have the right and duty to prosecute (sue) violators of covenants or restrictions and that the developer has the right but not the duty to prosecute (sue) those who are violating or attempting to violate to prevent such violations.

So, if your neighbor is in violation, you must (you have the right and duty) sue them. The developer can sue them if he wishes.

Nowhere is it stated that the CDD has any enforcement powers, just the developer.

I think the deed compliance officers are blowing smoke. Only a lawsuit can settle the matter.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.