HOME OWNERS INSURANCE

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Default HOME OWNERS INSURANCE

;D My wife and I are planning a second trip to TV this Oct. 08. Trying to make up are mind to purchase.. I read that home owners insurance seems to be more difficult to obtain. Also, what are average insurance costs for the same. ???

Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often
Old 04-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Default Re: HOME OWNERS INSURANCE

We bought in February, went to Villages Insurance and had our choice of 3 different policies from 3 different insurers. the whole process took about an hour. The cost was about $650 for a home valued at $200,000. Easy as pie.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:21 AM

Several things determine the cost of homeowners insurance inTV. Price of house of course, type of construction, type of roof and age of house. Anything after 2002 meets new hurricane standards. The Village Insurance seems to be the way to go. When I got here had been insured with State Farm for 45 years (home and car) and they told me sorry can not insure your home. Was very bitter so took my car insurance else where also. For a 10 year old, frame and vinyl home at about 200,000 expect to pay around 1100 to 1200 hundred a year. :bigthumbsup:
Old 04-28-2008, 03:51 AM
Sage

We pay under $600 for a C. Villa built in 2004. I had a "Mysafefloridahome" inspection which resulted in a reduction of the premium.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:53 PM

:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: OHIOGOLF, MOKEY,BAREFOOT AT LAST;

THANKS FOR THE INFO IN REGARD TO HOME OWNERS INSURANCE. THIS WILL BE HELPFUL WHEN WE ARRIVE TO NEST AT TV.

CHAS. wav

Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often
Old 05-01-2008, 12:09 AM

Just bought a policy on a new CYV for $582 from Geico...beat the Villages insurance quote by $85 bucks! Shop around...
Old 06-16-2008, 03:47 AM

Chas......
I bought last Oct. When I was shopping in Sept I visited Allstate and State Farm for price quotes. Their first question is "new construction or older home?" New building codes make a huge difference. (As mentioned prior I believe 2002 is correct) Cement block or vinyl siding makes a small difference and of course the cost of the home. After those inquiries I went to TV Insurance. TV beat both Allstate and State Farm. Also.... TV asked what my living plans are....how often would I be here? The policy differs if you are permenant, intend to use as a vacation/second home, or investment property. I told them my plans were to be in TV about 3 months/year for the next two years (waiting for the wife to retire) and I might consider renting the house a few months when I can't be here. To my surprise the insurance quote was lower if I rent a few months and use the house a few monts instead of myself being here only a short time. Their logic is that if the house is empty a long time period and something goes wrong (roof leak?) the damage can be extensive....but if there is a tenant in the house and there is a problem someone will be notified to make a quick repair. I'm not accustomed to logic like that in NY. I went with the part time vacation home with a possability to rent. When they say "rent" they are talking about anyone other then myself being here..for instance... my mooching brother-in-law takes his family to see Mickey and uses my house as a dormitory for a week. If a kid falls in the shower I'm covered. Almost forgot.... my cost is about $620 for a $208,600 Bougainvillia.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:31 PM

I just got home owners' insurance for a CY that we will close on soon, but won't become permanent residents until next June. It wasn't that easy. The Villages Insurance could only find one company to insure us because the house would be relatively vacant for a year. They advised me to look elsewhere which I did. Because of this thread, I called Geico and after three tries they found a policy for us. It was $200 less than the Villages quote with better coverage. Seems that each insurance company will only insure a certain percentage of houses in an area, so they won't lose money in a catastrophic event. Many of the companies are maxed out now and not providing any new policies. Never realized how hard it was to get insurance.

...Nancy
Old 07-13-2008, 12:21 AM
Eternal Member

If you have a dog do not mention it. If the dog is one of about 20 breeds, you will not be able to get homeowners insurance. I went to switch carriers because of the cost and was turned down when they found out I had a shepherd/chow - even though he is 14 years old and docile as a lamb.

If they ask if you have a dog then it is up to you to be honest.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:08 AM

What difference does it make if you have a dog? We have a lab and as soon as we sell up North - we will pick out a home and become permanent full-time residents.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:16 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman
If you have a dog do not mention it. If the dog is one of about 20 breeds, you will not be able to get homeowners insurance. I went to switch carriers because of the cost and was turned down when they found out I had a shepherd/chow - even though he is 14 years old and docile as a lamb.

If they ask if you have a dog then it is up to you to be honest.
zcaveman,
I, too, have a shepherd/chow mix who is 15 and has always been the sweetest guy. In fact, I've referred to as "The Will Rogers of the canine world" because he has never met another dog he didn't like.
Gene
Old 07-18-2008, 02:37 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johudd
What difference does it make if you have a dog? We have a lab and as soon as we sell up North - we will pick out a home and become permanent full-time residents.
All I am saying is that some of the insurance companies in Florida are tough on certain breeds of dogs. When I moved from NJ, I had to have an affidavit from my vet saying that my dog did not bite to continue my coverage with Liberty Mutual in Florida.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:42 AM
Gold member

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/ins...-dog-list1.asp

this will show the breeds that insurance companies are concerned about.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:57 AM
Eternal Member

Thanks Tkret. Some insurance companies have a few others added. And some insurance companies will flat turn you down if you have one of those breeds.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:03 PM

I recently bought a 1600+ sq ft Savannah CYV and bought insurance through Liberty Mutual in Ocala. With the "mysafefloridahome" discount the policy was about $580/year.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.