HOME OWNERS INSURANCE

Closed Thread
Old 07-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Sage
Default Re: HOME OWNERS INSURANCE

Pea,

Does this include sinkhole coverage?

What kind of deductibles do you carry --For hurricane/windstorm damage? For Sinkhole? For other perils?

Thanks for sharing your info.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:40 PM

Hi Villages,
I'll check my policy and get back to you. Stay tuned.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:04 PM

Here goes - I'll try and decipher the policy. This is based on a 2004 CB CYV and I think construction type makes a difference to the cost of the policy.
dwelling - $170K, structures on premises - 17K, pers property w/replacement - 119K, loss of use of premises - 34K
deductible - 1K, hurricane deductible - 2% ($3400)
pers liability - 300K, medical - $1K ea
there is also coverage for credit card/forgery, sewer backup, fungi
yes there is sinkhole coverage, hurricane, windstorm and all the other usual coverages with the exception of flood.
The policy could be further discounted with the addition of hurricane shutters.
I was very pleased with the agent I dealt with at Liberty Mutual - Jill Higdon - very knowledgeable and well aware of The Villages. Her # is 352-840-0042 or 877-305-5936. Good luck to you.....................
Old 07-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Sage

Thanks, Peaz.....

That helps for comparison shopping; alas, they have the dreaded 2% hurricane deductible too. So far, I've only heard of ASI that has a fixed deductible.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:47 PM

Block Home, Built 2008--Homeowner's Policy through St Johns Ins. Purchased at the Allstate office on Hwy 441 just North of Wal-Mart--Stephanie Winfrey 347-9201
$ 175,000 on home with $ 500 ded and $ 500 hurricane ded, 300,000 Liability with 5,000 Med Payment

$ 634.00 year
Old 08-08-2008, 08:36 PM

The Homeowners coverage discussion has been very helpful so far. What's the story on the faster golf carts (see Star's Ad- 36 05 38 volt choice) and Homeowners insurance? Is there an extra charge? Will the insurance company not write coverage for you if you have a "fast" cart?
Old 08-09-2008, 02:36 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwcw
The Homeowners coverage discussion has been very helpful so far. What's the story on the faster golf carts (see Star's Ad- 36 05 38 volt choice) and Homeowners insurance? Is there an extra charge? Will the insurance company not write coverage for you if you have a "fast" cart?
Anything over 19 mph is not insurable under the homeowners policy. You are street legal and need an automobile policy - plus seat belts, lights, registration, etc..

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:31 AM

We've been here over 4 years and have had Traveler's through Village Insurance since we closed. This year, when we got our renewal notice, we were informed that they were dropping the sinkhole coverage. Florida law requires insurers to cover for catastrophic ground collapse, but that means your house would have to be totally destroyed before they'd cover it. That doesn't usually happen. However, in our village, there have been sinkholes, and one had to put over $100,000 worth of concrete in "the hole" before house repairs could be made.

Additional sinkhole coverage could be purchased for less than $100, which I didn't have a huge problem with, except for the fact that the DEDUCTIBLE IS 10%. You can do the math, but that would be $10,000 out-of-pocket for the $100,000 worth of concrete mentioned above, and that's just the beginning.

Traveler's also had the 2% hurricane deductible, which would be roughly $4,500 out-of-pocket during a hurricane. ALSO, we were told that the 2% deductible goes into effect as soon as a hurricane watch is issued for ANY area of Florida. Therefore, if a watch is issued for the Miami area and we were to have a freak thunderstorm up here which damaged the house, you would be held to the 2% deductible instead of the normal deductible, because there was a valid hurricane watch in Florida. We were told that the 2% stays in place for 24 hours after the last watch had expired.

I've never been real thrilled with the above issues, but figured that's the way it was. With the sinkhole development this year, I did some major research.

We now have a policy with ASI, through Village Insurance, and the policy carries a $500 hurricane deductible and a $500 sinkhole deductible. The premium was just over $700 a year.

We also purchased a separate policy for the golf cart, since it's now our main source of transportation. With a low deductible and coverage to match our vehicle, the premium was just over $100 for the year.

BTW, our home is a block/stucco designer model.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Sage

CinCo,

Thanks for the summary....I have gone thru the same angst with Travellers recently. The overall premiums aren't bad but those high deductibles are scary. My "anniversary" date is in August...right in the middle of hurricane season, so, I went ahead and re-upped with Travellers but will probably look at ASI and other alternatives in Feb or so...I'd like to get my anniversary month to a different time of year.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinCo
.... in our village, there have been sinkholes, and one had to put over $100,000 worth of concrete in "the hole" before house repairs could be made.
Can you share with us which Village has sinkholes?
Old 08-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Veteran member

Our home owners renewal policy came recently--with coverage for sink holes being an option. We have been discussing whether or not this was needed but not any more--we saw our first sink hole today and only a few blocks from our home. Needless to say, I am writing a check today to our insurance company for ALL coverage--including sink holes.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Gold member

Yikes, SandyBill, which street?
Old 08-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Veteran member

It is between two houses on Keaneland---It is a cul de sac and the houses back up to one of the golf course by Pimlico Rec. I am not at all familiar with sink holes---my question is--where did the dirt go? is it like a cavern?
Old 08-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Gold member

I have a pretty good idea but I'll bet Tal will have a better explanation than I can give. That makes me rethink that insurance coverage also.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybill2
It is between two houses on Keaneland---It is a cul de sac and the houses back up to one of the golf course by Pimlico Rec. I am not at all familiar with sink holes---my question is--where did the dirt go? is it like a cavern?
Thanks for sharing that information Sandybill. Very scary! :yikes:

I back on a golf course in the Pimlico area. Never gave a second thought to sink hole coverage! I just checked with my insurance company, Sumter-Marion Insurance, and I am covered for sink holes.

I'll bet Insurance Companies in TV will be getting a sudden flood of calls; people checking whether they have sink hole insurance!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.