Home prices rising too fast?

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2014, 06:41 PM

I say you may as well buy...we don't buy here for the investment but for the lifestyle...doesn't matter what happens to prices....I'm not planning on moving so it'll go to my kids anyway.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:16 PM
Veteran member

We purchased 5 1/2 years ago, and for the first 4 years the value of our home went down, as indicated by a lowering of taxes each year. It seems now that our home has appreciated close to 30% more. Our heirs wil be very appreciative of the inheritance. I just hope that we will abe able to afford the increased taxes.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:30 AM
Email Reported As Spam

If one buys for "the lifestyle" rather than focusing on the variables that determine the value of a home what happens if "the lifestyle is not to their liking or the initial effect wears off and you become bored or disenchanted with it? Separating "Lifestyle may not be possible but it would help to keep home price and lifestyle separate to determine actual value and then adjust up and down to determine if one wishes to locate here...........just saying
Old 03-17-2014, 07:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
If one buys for "the lifestyle" rather than focusing on the variables that determine the value of a home what happens if "the lifestyle is not to their liking or the initial effect wears off and you become bored or disenchanted with it?
Rubicon - that is an excellent point and I expect it happens more often than we realize. The good news is there are probably lots of folks in the waiting to jump into that lifestyle which would keep the prices up due to demand. I can't think of any community I would feel more confident trying out than TV.
Location, location, location.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
If one buys for "the lifestyle" rather than focusing on the variables that determine the value of a home what happens if "the lifestyle is not to their liking or the initial effect wears off and you become bored or disenchanted with it? Separating "Lifestyle may not be possible but it would help to keep home price and lifestyle separate to determine actual value and then adjust up and down to determine if one wishes to locate here...........just saying
People buy things all the time based on something they have in their mind.... marketing and advertising.

IMO, some of that issue depends on; How much!

I think most people are somewhat price sensitive for that sort of thing. I know I am!

Supply/demand should cause prices to reach some level of equilibrium for the market at points in time.

Here is an interesting concept. Compare the price of a TV home to a comparable in a nearby 55+ community that one likes (similar homes... comparables). Then figure out the ongong costs for living in the community for a period of time... say 10 or 20 years. IOW, on a total cost of ownership basis for each home.

What is the difference?

If the houses and basic amenities are roughly equivalent (other than scale) and one can drive to TV and use the shop, restuarants and entertainment....

One can derive a rough estimate of the extra cost of the lifestyle components they actually might use.

Put it like this, all else equal I might pay an extra $20k for some lifestyle want.

But I would find it difficult to justify paying an extra $100k in total ownership cost to belong to the one unique club that TV had that was not available at another community. For that matter I would start a club in my community if it came down to it.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:26 AM
Platinum member

You don't live in an investment - you live in a home.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:03 AM
Sage

At this stage of my life, having sacrificed for many years, to save and have a happy retirement, it's worth it, to pay a few bucks more, to get what you want, rather than settle for something, that doesn't thrill you.

Yes, prices have gone up and I see them going up further, as build-out nears completion.

Consider this, "what is the price, for your happiness"?

They may be communitites where you can get more home for your money, but they all want to be like TV, for the ammenties, and being near the action.

Only you can decide what is right for you.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-21-2014, 03:02 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to JaniceOhio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
You don't live in an investment - you live in a home.
Diane M. --- Totally agree! Our home values are all increasing but I've never cared about it. I've been in my Ohio house 32 years and the upgrades I've made total far more than what I paid for the house or what it'll sell for.

Have some cool plans for Gilchrist house too but I'm out for one thing in TV... good friends and great times! And from the neighbors I've met I really lucked out!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.