Home sales

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Default Home sales

Can anyone tell me if there is any "one reason" why there are so many homes for sale in The Villages ? I am curious since we plan on moving there as soon as we sell or home . I would appreciate any information from anyone .
Old 07-26-2008, 09:02 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Home sales

Although I am not a Villager, yet, I do follow the MLS and VLS listings and believe that on a percentage basis there is not an over abundance of homes for sale in TV. I am not a Realtor expert but it just appears to me that things are as balanced as possible especially when you consider the state of the housing resale market in general. Two things should be considered, however: first, as the developer continues to build and sell new inventory, this puts pressure on home sellers to price correctly the home they are trying to sell; and secondly, in every housing market, and TV is no different, there is always the threat of a "stealth" resale market. That is, there are people who wish to sell and are holding off listing until the market improves. If the market takes too long to improve, these people cannot wait any longer and, for their own reasons, are forced to list their home adding to the inventory already on the market. It's a buyers market and price rules.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I would suggest that there is not a lot of homes for sale in the Villages. If you look at the web site and just hit the search button it shows the total resales VLS has. It runs about 400-425 fairly consistently. If you search the various realtor sites on the 3 zip codes, you find about another 250. So that is about 650, add another 150 FSBO's although that is probably high, that is a maximum of 800 homes out of 40,000. That is only 2% of the total homes. Even if it was double and 4%, that is still way below the rest of the country. So I would believe that there are actually very few homes for resale based on the total homes built. There seems to be a lot because in a small area you have a good selection. Volume wise it is not a lot.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:31 PM

I think it just looks like a lot in TV because we are so condensed.

I'm the type of woman that when I get up in the morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up"!
Old 08-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Default Houses for sale in The Villages

Houses do not seem to stay on the market for long. We are selling ours to move into a villa. I have heard that many Villagers purchase a few times. Love it here. The best thing we have ever done for ourselves.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwise1 View Post
Houses do not seem to stay on the market for long. We are selling ours to move into a villa. I have heard that many Villagers purchase a few times. Love it here. The best thing we have ever done for ourselves.
One of the regular posters said that there were 217 houses sold in the month of July by The Villages.

They sell a lot.

Hawkwind?

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-11-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Gold member

Two of our neighbors have moved three times with in The Villages since they have lived here. I hear that from a lot of people.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 08-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Sage

Charlie Maria and lwise1,

I see this is the first post for both of you, so WELCOME! I hope you'll visit TOTV often to chat with us.

Charlie Maria, I agree with what others have said about the inventory. And, yes, many people who sell their homes in TV do so to purchase another home in TV. The couple from whom we purchased our home in TV purchased a larger home in the same Village. Sometimes, TV'ers want to downsize or move from a home to a villa or vise versa. Many, many of us start out as part timers who want just a small vacation home until we move to TV full time. Then, we might prefer a larger home. Best of luck selling your current home. Keep us posted.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Default homes for sale

If you consider the size of TV, how many towns this size are building the way they are here?
Not many.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
One of the regular posters said that there were 317 houses sold in the month of July by The Villages.

They sell a lot.

Hawkwind?
I talked with my sales rep the other day and she said that for the month of July TV sold 214 new homes and had 74 pre owned homes close. As a percent of the total homes in TV this is a small percent but a whole lot better number than is currently bring sold in the northern Ohio area. Here in the Akron Ohio area the agents only dream of seeing numbers like that and I am one that is hoping a home that I have for sale here in Ohio would be in that closing number but that dream is fading fast.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I would suggest that there is not a lot of homes for sale in the Villages. If you look at the web site and just hit the search button it shows the total resales VLS has. It runs about 400-425 fairly consistently. If you search the various realtor sites on the 3 zip codes, you find about another 250. So that is about 650, add another 150 FSBO's although that is probably high, that is a maximum of 800 homes out of 40,000. That is only 2% of the total homes. Even if it was double and 4%, that is still way below the rest of the country. So I would believe that there are actually very few homes for resale based on the total homes built. There seems to be a lot because in a small area you have a good selection. Volume wise it is not a lot.
There are 546 homes currently listed on the TV website, including those with offers pending. This number is up from the usual 400 or so.

The MLS numbers are also up.
It is a sign of the national economy IMHO.
I believe it will get worse before it gets better.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJoe View Post
There are 546 homes currently listed on the TV website, including those with offers pending. This number is up from the usual 400 or so.

The MLS numbers are also up.
It is a sign of the national economy IMHO.
I believe it will get worse before it gets better.
It's going to get worse, just study the trends in the economy.TV will have at least a 10% reduction in home prices by July 2011, and that will be on the conservative side of the scale.But if you don't plan to sell and love the lifestyle, who cares, at some point the real estate market will stabilize.In TV ,it's the lower end of the market that is still selling, the high end designers and premiers, not so much.If you want the facts talk to the MLS realtors and not the village sales force, for obvious reasons.
Having studied and worked in the real estate markets my entire adult life, and purchasing over 100 properties, i will be buying in TV.At some point in your life......If your not living on the edge, your taking up too much room.Besides, my young lady friend of several years, loves the lifestyle and the people we have met on our 2 visits. TV is like no place else and i've been to every place else, believe me.

Last edited by kentucky blue; 08-12-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:39 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I think you are VERY wrong. Yes it is up from 400 to over 500 and those with MLS and FSBO are up, and now the total is up from the 800 to about a 1000. BUT, that first post was in 2008, go back and look, it is now 2010, and the total number of homes is up from under 40,000 to around 50,000. So as a % of the total it is still around 2%. Very very low by any standard you want to compare. And as I said before, double the numbers to 2000 or 4% and it is still way below the rest of the country.

I can't guess where prices will be in 2011, but my bet is they will be where they are today or higher. The housing market as a whole across the country still has some problems to correct and will follow what the economy does, which is going to still have to go through a severe inflation cycle to cover the money printing that is happening. But in TV, I am not so sure as it is an isolated market. And when the inflation cycle hits the housing market, which it will at some point in our life time, current home prices will be more then double what they are today.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:00 AM
Veteran member
Default builder cutting prices

My sister purchased a Gardenia in Aug 2009 for $235,900 that was reduced from $243,900.(Interior lot, basic house). New home web site shows Interior site Gardenia for $228,000, reduced from $235,000. Builder lowers prices to keep the sales numbers up. This puts pressure on resales.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I think you are VERY wrong. Yes it is up from 400 to over 500 and those with MLS and FSBO are up, and now the total is up from the 800 to about a 1000. BUT, that first post was in 2008, go back and look, it is now 2010, and the total number of homes is up from under 40,000 to around 50,000. So as a % of the total it is still around 2%. Very very low by any standard you want to compare. And as I said before, double the numbers to 2000 or 4% and it is still way below the rest of the country.

I can't guess where prices will be in 2011, but my bet is they will be where they are today or higher. The housing market as a whole across the country still has some problems to correct and will follow what the economy does, which is going to still have to go through a severe inflation cycle to cover the money printing that is happening. But in TV, I am not so sure as it is an isolated market. And when the inflation cycle hits the housing market, which it will at some point in our life time, current home prices will be more then double what they are today.
I have been watching TV prices very carefully for the last 4 years. I almost bought a ranch for 239 they now for sale for 169.
Within the last year the number of houses for sale in TV has increased gradually. The prices of new homes has decreased.
I will not argue here the cause, but those are the trends I see.
TV market is stronger than most of the country, no question.
I am waiting for lower prices which will continue .
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.