How to deal with upset family when I move to TV

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Lots of great thoughts in this thread!
I agree. With hubby and myself it is not daughter but his brothers and sisters. They are mad at me for wanting to move.
We get it is too hot, too expensive which is not the case. I am so tired of hearing them. So I just try to not listen.
If my daughter can understand then they should just keep silent.
Any ideas on how to answer them? Thanks
Old 08-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Veteran member

Hi Jeannie,

I think after you close on your house you should pack up the pups and head on down.

Looking forward to seeing you in December and having a Doggy Playdate. LOL
Old 08-14-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cher54461 View Post
We get it is too hot, too expensive which is not the case. I am so tired of hearing them. So I just try to not listen.
If my daughter can understand then they should just keep silent.
Any ideas on how to answer them? Thanks
As Indy-Guy's story shows "seeing is believing" and when they raise objections, maybe the best approach is to instantly invite them to visit. For our family, even the pictures were enough to convince them why we want to live in TV.

Jeanne-Beannie: My "what's the worse that could happen" scenerio kinda makes us feel better too. Because moving is such a big decision, I think we forget it's not the end of the world if we make a mistake if that turns out to be the case. I like your thoughts about "just do it" and rent for a while. That is what my husband and I decided to do. We are going to sell our house first with a 60-90 day contingency for us to move to TV and rent. Then we will take our time either building or purchasing pre-owned.

Good luck on your decision and hopefully when we both are eventually in TV, we'll meet, along with other TOTV friends, and exchange moving stories!
Old 08-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Location: Village of St. Charles,Binghamton, Conklin, Syracuse, and Tully, NY
Smile

Jeannie,
We are moving in a couple of weeks and have rented a patio villa for 4 months. We are using a POD and that will be stored during that time while we find/build a place. If we find something right away, we will take some time to get it ready. I think you might want to do something like that also. Renting at this time of year is fairly easy. Hope to meet you when we are both there and the rest of the nice people on this forum!!
Old 08-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Default Family Not Understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizz42 View Post
As Indy-Guy's story shows "seeing is believing" and when they raise objections, maybe the best approach is to instantly invite them to visit. For our family, even the pictures were enough to convince them why we want to live in TV.

Jeanne-Beannie: My "what's the worse that could happen" scenerio kinda makes us feel better too. Because moving is such a big decision, I think we forget it's not the end of the world if we make a mistake if that turns out to be the case. I like your thoughts about "just do it" and rent for a while. That is what my husband and I decided to do. We are going to sell our house first with a 60-90 day contingency for us to move to TV and rent. Then we will take our time either building or purchasing pre-owned.

Good luck on your decision and hopefully when we both are eventually in TV, we'll meet, along with other TOTV friends, and exchange moving stories!
We have told all of family that they are welcome to come see us. I think daughter and nieces and newphews will come. But his brothers and sisters I don't know. All I know is I want my house to sell so I can come down and start enjoying my retirement.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Also know your dilema

Daughter and Grand Daugter don't want us to leave, other people have told us it's hot in the summer. My comment was it's cold in New York in the winter. Your right I don't shovel heat and if it's to hot outside I'll go to a movie or a Happy Hour. That works. My POD arrives tomorrow, we'll start packing it up. Supposed to be picked up on the 28th of August. I have a hearing with the town on our house on Long Island hoping all goes well. Because after the POD leaves I'd like to be going also. I have a villa lined up for a week or so if I need it. I know it a hussel & bussel but can't wait to get back down to TV and start our second childhood. Good luck to all who are in the same boat. I've already got family booking time at the house. Think I'll need a booking agent. They tell me we're nuts for moving but they can"t wait to come see this place. Won't they be surprised..
Old 08-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Veteran member
Smile Thank You!!!!

I want to thank you for your posts!! I want to respond to each and everyone of you, because each post has helped me so much!! But I didnt want to hog up all the pages hehe.
You are all amazing, and have helped me so much with this transition. If it werent for you wonderful people on TOTV I would probably be going thru another winter up here .
Thank you for the "guilt advice" , I do feel so much better now. I cant wait for the day when I can post..."I am on my may"
Jeanne
Old 08-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneBeannie View Post
[snip]
Thank you for the "guilt advice" , I do feel so much better now. I cant wait for the day when I can post..."I am on my may"
Jeanne
We look forward to that day, too, Jeannie - and we'll be here to make the trip with ya if ya need us!

Old 08-20-2009, 04:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
We look forward to that day, too, Jeannie - and we'll be here to make the trip with ya if ya need us!
Thank you so much, that is such a nice thing to say!! You are very sweet!
I'm sorry I am just responding, been packing and not up to date with the posts these days .
I almost caved in to the guilt earlier this week, for a few days I just threw my hands up and said "ok you win, I wont move". The guilt was killing me . But thanks to very good friends and alot of thinking...Jeanne has bounced back and plan to be in TV at the beginning of October and rent a beautiful CYV in Duval. I still have the closing to get thru, so I better not jinx it lol. .
Thank you again!!
Old 08-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default You go girl

Another thought....I think it is better to try the adventure...it might not turn out as you thought but you attempted it...instead of always wondering what if. the rest of your life... AGain you can always return if it is not for you...but what if it is the best thing you have ever done....

Also I believe it is natural to start to doubt such a big transition ...and then the friends add theirs...but you are the one who has to figure out what you want....and live your life.

Susie
Old 08-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

This thread is enough to reaffirm all of the things that make me feel so good when I am in The Villages. I adore my Gretchen and her Graylyn and Colin...It is very hard to think of being so far from them all year, but this is not a dress rehearsal.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Sage

How will we ever know what could have been if we live in fear of trying???

If We find that The Villages are not for us, theres no reason on earth why we cant come back, theres nothing stopping us from returning.

Be brave Jeanne, you have lots of support from fantastic people!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:00 PM

Just let me join in with all these great folks here on TOTV to add my encouragement for you to do what is in your heart. Please let everyone know when you take the plunge and how things work out for you. All the best!
Old 08-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Veteran member

Jeanne,

Ditto what others have already said.

I so hope to follow in your footsteps some day - well not your EXACT footsteps, but you know what I mean! I've been watching your story unfold and find myself getting excited for you and your new journey, but I can definitely empathize with the angst you are feeling with your decision making.

Think about it; you're not making a rash decision. You've done your research and given the pros and cons a lot of thought, so whatever decision you make will be a well informed one. That is all that we can ask of ourselves, in my opinion. I believe that if you spend time gathering all the facts and looking at things objectively - from every angle - then it is time to move forward with your decision comfortable that you are making the best possible decision you can make with the facts as you know them.

Yes, the doubt will always try to creep back into your thought process but if you're not careful your decision making process can become an agonizing unending one. Don't let the fear of making the wrong decision paralyze you. There comes a time when we have to just make the decision and move forward, taking comfort in the fact that almost every decision can be reversed - so if it turns out to be the wrong one for you, you don't beat yourself up over it, you just change direction.

I used to find it so hard to make major decisions - I've gotten better at it over the years. Not every decision is going to be a perfect one, but that is okay.

I say go foward with your decision with no regrets or second-guessing!! Just think of the missed opportunities if you don't give it a shot!

You go girl! Follow your dream! for you!
Old 08-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Veteran member

You are all so amazing, thank you so much for your loving support. I have taken all your wonderful advice and have been packing away, selling all my things...and I mean ALL lol lol...anyone who likes to shop, please dont hestitate to join me with all your great decorating ideas!
I will stay strong thanks to all of you! Altho...I havnt told my son I rented a home in TV yet, but will today. If I disappear off the radar screen that means he flipped lol lol (dont worry just kidding).
Thanks so much again....I cant wait to meet you all!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.