How to deal with upset family when I move to TV

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Default How to deal with upset family when I move to TV

Can someone give me some advice on this problem? I know they'll understand someday when they see how happy I will be once at TV, but now they are
Old 10-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Veteran member

Without more information, like which family members are upset and what their probem is with your moving, I can only suggest one thing.

Tell them they'll now have a vacation destination!
Old 10-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Default Advice

The only suggestion I have is get in your car,turn south on RT75 and get ready to enjoy the rest of your life in this wonderful place.We had a similar situation but I suggest that they were not so concerned with losing us as they were about losing their baby sitters.Your only 7 hours from Atlanta so if they miss you that much they can drive down for the weekend.You should worry about taking care of yourselves and let the "family"learn to exist on their own.Good Luck,Safe trip and God Bless.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Sage
Default Older threads...

Sunny,

Here's some links to older threads...funny, while reading thru these I recognize a few people who were wannabees then and are here now and happy as can be.

Leaving the grandkids

LEAVING THE FAMILY

Come and they will follow!!! It is your time.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:19 AM

We had the same problem when we began talking to the kids above retiring to Florida. We felt bad about leaving them behind, but someone told us that it is our life and we had to do what was right for us.

One day we called them and told them we were leaving on vacation. No problems at that point. Seven years later we are still on vacation and the family is doing fine without us.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:02 AM

It tears at the hear strings sometimes to leave loved ones behind. What worked for me was to ask them to drive down with me to see where I would potentially be living. I think it took the mystery out of it, and when my daughter saw what a wonderfully upbeat and active place TV is, her comment was, "I understand why you want to be here."
Old 10-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Smile Thank you for making me feel better...

Family ought to get use to me going to TV.. I'm down every 2or3 months!! That's a good idea to get a family member to visit TV with me.. so they can see how great it is at TV!
Old 10-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny08 View Post
Family ought to get use to me going to TV.. I'm down every 2or3 months!! That's a good idea to get a family member to visit TV with me.. so they can see how great it is at TV!
I would just tell them you are heading down for a trip....as usual....and then call them while you are here....and let them know you are staying forever!

Suzy Toronto
Old 10-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Default That's even a better idea!

Can't make everyone happy all the time
Old 10-27-2008, 08:18 PM

Tell them about the activities that are offered in TV and send them to the website (they can look at the recreation activities on there). I have also heard that coming to TV adds 10 years to your life!

My family was the same. Once they found out what TV was actually like, they can't wait to visit!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I STOPPED CARING WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THOUGHT WHEN I TURNED 21, WELL ALMOST EVERYBODY .......

QUALIFIED FUMAR
Old 10-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Fumar View Post
I STOPPED CARING WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THOUGHT WHEN I TURNED 21, WELL ALMOST EVERYBODY .......

QUALIFIED FUMAR
Can't argue with that!

All kidding aside, if the reason others are upset that you are leaving is because you won't be there at immediate beck-and-call to service their needs, then it's high time they get "independent."

TV is a chance to get some stress relief and peace, as well as raise cain if you so choose with people with similar memories and interests. There is no place in the USA (and most of Canada) more than 12 hours away (TV shuttle to Orlando Airport and approx flying time), so you can't fully escape, and the others can come here if they really want to go through the effort to see you.

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Old 10-28-2008, 05:15 PM
SNOK

We still have a year or two before we make the permanent move. In the meantime, as we visit every 6 months, we invite one of our 3 children and their family to join us for the week. They, of course, love it and see why we do. The only problem is they end up saying they now want to retire also. It gives them a goal, I suppose. They recognize that it will be a great destination for them to visit. So much to do locally and in the surrounding area. And that doesn't even count one of the best benefits - avoiding the cold winters north and west of Florida.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Sage

I am going thru this right now. As soon as the "for Sale" sign went into the ground we started getting h*** from the kids and grandkids. The guilt trip is overwhelming altho I am being more stubborn about resisting it then the hubby!

It is not an easy decision and I hope in time they will understand that they have a whole lifetime ahead of them, we dont! and whatever time we have left we need to enjoy to the fullest. We dont get a 2nd chance at this![/HTML]

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.

Last edited by nONIE; 12-14-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny08 View Post
Can someone give me some advice on this problem? I know they'll understand someday when they see how happy I will be once at TV, but now they are

You asked for advice? My advice is .. stop feeling guilty. You have a perfect right to spend your golden years wherever you choose. Just make the move, giterdone!

Once your family see where you're living, they will be so happy for you. I think your problem won't be a grumpy and sad family, it will be where to put all your visitors!

Good luck with your move, I know it is tough to leave loved ones behind, but you'll be seeing lots of them.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.