how did you children react to your moving

Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2013, 07:35 AM
Default how did you children react to your moving

My married daughter will not speak to me due to this move. Can you share your family reaction to your decision
Old 11-14-2013, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think it made our older daughter sad for awhile and our almost adult grandchildren, but we said to them, we are close to seventy, if we don't do it NOW, when will we do it? We would like to go where we can be busy and involved and be with our peers. You are working and going to school and we hate to leave you but our home will always be your home too.

It was very HARD to see their sadness, very hard and almost a deal breaker.

I think with Skype it is a little easier.

They just love you, but need to love you a little harder now and a little more unselfishly.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:50 AM
Platinum member

Our. children were thrilled for us!
Tampa, FL
Old 11-14-2013, 08:06 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post
Our. children were thrilled for us!
Same here. All it took was one visit for our youngest to see what a wonderful place it is. Both of our daughters (27 and 30, and married living their own lives) are very happy for us. We're not there yet (but will be starting in January), and we talk about it with them frequently. They even hum the Villages jingle from the promo video.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

One son is living in Australia, so he's used to only seeing us once or twice a year. The other one is in Grand Rapids, an hour from where we lived in MI. No grandchildren, so no accusations of "abandoning the children." Frankly, the GR kids are so busy with their work, we talked on the phone more than we saw them. (Birthdays, holidays and Sunday lunches.) They were sad to see us leave but understood we wanted to get out of the cold and have activities.

I think it was harder for us to leave our son and DIL. Your daughter will come around. She can't give you the silent treatment forever. Kids need to push you away and go off and have their own lives, but they want you to stay put and be their security blanket. Hang in there!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

both boys are out of state...our daugher and only grandkids are 5 minutes away...when my husband come's part time they will be 18, 15, and 12.. i will be her for 5 more years so by then it will have settled in and ok with the move..doing the move in stages helps
Old 11-14-2013, 08:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroglass View Post
My married daughter will not speak to me due to this move. Can you share your family reaction to your decision
What is wrong with living where one wants to live?

It's a free country! Many people have fought and died for the freedom to choose where to live.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Sage
Default Time heals....

It makes me sad to hear that your relationship is tainted by this move. Was your daughter dependent on you for things while you were there, for instance babysitting grandchildren? Did she visit you frequently and did you live close to her? These may be some reasons she is angry about your move.

You can tell her that now she has a beautiful place to visit and vacation. I will bet once she sees how happy you are here then her attitude will change. This is a big adjustment for everyone. Please give it some time and try to talk to your daughter. Once she gets use to you being here she will come around.

My mom was hurt that I moved (I lived close and she is 86) but she is use to it now and comes once a year to visit. Would she like to have me back home...yes she would, but she has always said you gotta live your life because you never know when the last day is here and life is too short. Best of luck to you!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:58 AM

My husband and I bought in April, came down for a couple weeks in July and have been down this time for a couple months, leaving December 1st. We have been married only 2 years. He is from Florida and I am from Michigan. We are lucky enough to split our time between the two states. The one thing I always say in cases like this is that your children don't hesitate moving from their parents. Not for one second! Why then, do they hate it when we do the same?
Old 11-14-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Kids need to push you away and go off and have their own lives, but they want you to stay put and be their security blanket. Hang in there!
My daughter did't speak to me for 3 months. She hasn't been here yet, and shows no interest in coming down. My son and daughter-in-law drove me down and they love it! They are both 50 and would move here in a minute. I think the quote above explains my daughter's reaction! She said I was abandoning my grandchildren……who are now 14, 16, 18 and 20! They all have their own lives and are too busy to call/text/skype Grandma!!

She's no longer angry and accepts my move. We talk all the time. If she ever comes down, I know she will see why I made the move. My health has improved and I am happier than I have been in a long time. I LOVE THE VILLAGES!!!
Old 11-14-2013, 09:07 AM

Our daughter (34 at the time) came to TV for a visit and she wanted to retire too. The other three kids fell into line...
Old 11-14-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think it made our older daughter sad for awhile and our almost adult grandchildren, but we said to them, we are close to seventy, if we don't do it NOW, when will we do it? We would like to go where we can be busy and involved and be with our peers. You are working and going to school and we hate to leave you but our home will always be your home too.

It was very HARD to see their sadness, very hard and almost a deal breaker.

I think with Skype it is a little easier.

They just love you, but need to love you a little harder now and a little more unselfishly.
Exactly what Deanna had said just before we bought....if not know...when???
Our grandchildren (20,18,14) are just too busy for Grandma and Papa. We're fortunate enough to own two homes however 'dark and dreary' is the norm up north right now and Christmas cannot come soon enough. Our daughter has come to TV once. She's the oldest child but yet has come to grips with reality and mortality. Our son, who does realize the aforementioned, helped us make the decision when he visited and asked us what we were still doing up in VT. The big move has yet to be made.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

The first time our [only child] Son visited, he told the Grandkids that when Grandma and Grandpa are gone, this will be their vacation home.

He gets it & loves it here! ha ha ha
Old 11-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroglass View Post
Refusing to speak says "stay away". But yet the person wants you to come to their terms and conditions. Not a good way of accomplishing unity and harmony.

Sounds like a control thing. Wait and let her come to you, not the other way around. She'll come around.

It's your life.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:40 AM
Location: Village of Hillsborough. (Past) Gilbertsvile, PA and Philadelphia, PA

We moved to TV 9 months ago. We have 5 children. Our two sons and two daughters are very happy with our decision and are looking forward to visiting. Our oldest daughter has not talked to us since January when our house went under agreement. We constantly called her and will not answer the phone or return our calls. Before we left we took everyone out to dinner to say goodbye. She did not come. When we left the next morning at 6:00 am, she called and yelled at my husband about not being invited to the dinner. He replied that he left 14 messages and called her everyday for a month. She told us to have a good life without her where ever we go. We have not heard from her since and she still does not answer the phone. Our youngest, who is in college has been trying to communicate with her through Facebook. She reads the messages but never replies. We just keep her in our prayers and hopes that she makes a decision to come back and be part of the family

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.