How do you make it through the waiting time?

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Location: Village of Charlotte (Lauren Villas) from Circleville, Ohio
Default How do you make it through the waiting time?

My husband and I came to visit TV in March. Loved it so much after just one day that we have desided that it how we want to spend our retirement. But although he is already retired, I still have two more years. How do you get through that in between time? All we can think of is how much we want to move there.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:27 PM

Waiting is always the hardest part. We spent a good portion of our wait time getting our house ready to sell and then selling it. My wife spent a lot of time deciding what she wanted in our new house and how she wanted it furnished. After the house sold we were busy getting rid of all the stuff we had accumulated over the years. We downsized so we couldn't keep everything.

You'll find lots of things to keep you going. When you reach your goal, you'll look back and realize it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be. But for now it probably does feel like it will take an eternity. It won't, just hang in there and before you know it you will be cruising the cart paths enjoying your trip back to your TV home.

Jim
Old 04-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Gold member
Default And time stood still

My wife decieded to hang it up this year, Then time stood still! It is driving her crazy. These last three months are just crawling for her.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:29 PM
Sage

Labsx2,

Had to laugh as we can so relate! We bought in '09 but are still snowflakes until Hubby retires. As JimPete said, there's lots of planning for the transition and in some senses, that's a good thing as you can make better informed and rational decisions. By all means, start getting your home ready for market, start considering your needs and wants in TV (new or resale, location, upgrades, what to take vs what to weed out). When you start realizing how much there is to do, you can almost-- notice I said almost -- appreciate the at-times excruciating wait.

Can't wait until the couple of years fly by and you post: "Guess what, y'all. We did it!"

Just know your day will come. It will.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABSX2 View Post
My husband and I came to visit TV in March. Loved it so much after just one day that we have desided that it how we want to spend our retirement. But although he is already retired, I still have two more years. How do you get through that in between time? All we can think of is how much we want to move there.
You spend lots and lots of time on this forum, asking questions and getting information and just reading all the posts, until you begin to feel that you already have friends here. You study house models and floor plans and prices and locations (get one of those $5 maps) until you've picked out your dream house. You visit again if you can and get a sales agent to show you around. And the rest of the time you're getting your house ready to sell and selling it. Time will fly.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I understand, but the anticipation just builds. Use it to understand and plan your move, make it to your advantage! The time will pass, it sure will.

and.. it's fabulous here and gets better.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

My plan is to take three months per room to sort thru what is goodwill, what is kids stuff, what to keep. My husband thought that was nuts until we started the first of 5 bedrooms. Three piles took us almost 9 weeks to get it right. Its hard to part with crap
Old 04-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
These last three months are just crawling for her.
Crawling? Sounds like your wife is going through basic training before deployment to The Villages for active duty! The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 04-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

All the answers above are, of course, excellent. My advice would be a little different. Life is too short and uncertain to waste a moment treading water and wishing any part of that short life would pass. Busy yourself with planning for the move, as has been said, but in the meantime enjoy all the terrific opportunities in your own backyard. I am trying to sell my place here in Mo., but still enjoy all the things that have made me love this place for many years, and have the attitude that if it sells, great; if it doesn't sell, great. I would say more, but I have to go out and enjoy the lake now.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:46 PM

I feel your pain. We visited last June and after checking out a couple Del Webb communities around Houston, we decided on TV. We started working on our plan - sold our house and are now leasing until we retire. We hope to make our house hunting trip in Sept or Oct and move in December. As others have described, I'm trying to work out every little detail in the meantime, but it is difficult. We went through lots of stuff when we sold, but still have lots more to get rid of. The furniture was easy, but the things that bring back memories of our younger and funner days will be harder. We just keep looking forward to getting back to the funner part of life again. I've also made a count down on my calendar at work. Good luck!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:38 AM

I think one of the hardest things is trying to figure out what to do first. Do you sell first and then buy? Buy first and then put your house on the market?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Veteran member

Oh how I do understand the waiting! We've been waiting for a few years now and it just seems like it is never going to fall into place.

There have been times when I have had to put the planning on the back burner just for the sake of my own sanity. I dreamed and planned so much for a move to TV that I eventually caught myself getting depressed each time a new village would open up, sell out, and everyone was forming friendships and having block parties etc. I was starting to fear there would not be a place for us when our time did come.

We are still planning a life in TV and going through the process of preparing our current home for sale, but I do try to force myself to take a step back each time I feel like we are forgetting to enjoy each day as it comes no matter where we are. It will happen when it is supposed to happen..... won't it?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Default If I had to do it again....

I would have sold first and then bought unless you are paying cash for the home here. Then you don't have to deal with double mortgages, utilities, lawn maintenance, etc.

Trust me there will always be a home here you can buy. Don't think you have to buy it on the 1st trip here. I know you get that feeling that you have to have it now before anyone else gets the dream house you are wanting. But seriously there are many dream homes here.

Also since I bought two new homes in The Villages, I would buy a pre-loved home if I had to do it over again. I did look at pre-loved homes before but at the time I was looking I couldn't find everything I was looking for. After being here I have noted several that would have been great.

We lucked out and both houses we bought were in a neighborhood of marvelous people. We love our neighbors from both Hemingway and Bonita.

Just try try try to thoroughly clean out "stuff" before you bring it. Stuff is great, but memories are a lot lighter and takes up much less room. I figure if it goes in attic storage besides seasonal decorations, you probably won't be seeing it again.

Guess I went into more than should you sell or buy first. If I had to do it again I would have sold first, leased for two months and then bought. Just my opinion. :}

From Liberty, MO
Old 04-23-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettiboop View Post
Oh how I do understand the waiting! We've been waiting for a few years now and it just seems like it is never going to fall into place.

There have been times when I have had to put the planning on the back burner just for the sake of my own sanity. I dreamed and planned so much for a move to TV that I eventually caught myself getting depressed each time a new village would open up, sell out, and everyone was forming friendships and having block parties etc. I was starting to fear there would not be a place for us when our time did come.

We are still planning a life in TV and going through the process of preparing our current home for sale, but I do try to force myself to take a step back each time I feel like we are forgetting to enjoy each day as it comes no matter where we are. It will happen when it is supposed to happen..... won't it?
OMG!! You sound just like me!! I also have been trying to tell myself to just stop thinking about it, that it is at least 2 years down the road, but then the next thing I know I am having the same depressing thoughts of wanting to be there and not being able to. I think I have mentally cleaned out all of my kitchen cabinets already.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default I think...............

It is always good to make yourself homeless so you won't be stuck with any property and there are always a lot of choices here. You can buy right away, you can rent and look or do what we did, rent and build.

I spent the time waiting the first time by painting big canvases of Florida birds and one big canvas of the bathrooms at Lake Sumter Landing and other Villages-like art for our new home. When we bought our first snowbird home, I spent the time looking at pictures of rooms in magazines and sewing some window treatments. And collecting accessories for the new place..and some furniture. You can also drink a lot of wine, but I don't recommend that....or,..... or just read and post on here...which I did a lot and it now has turned into an obsession.

I am thinking about treatment...but not yet.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.