How do you make it through the waiting time?

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2012, 10:48 AM
Location: Village of Charlotte (Lauren Villas) from Circleville, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachnmo View Post
I would have sold first and then bought unless you are paying cash for the home here. Then you don't have to deal with double mortgages, utilities, lawn maintenance, etc.

Trust me there will always be a home here you can buy. Don't think you have to buy it on the 1st trip here. I know you get that feeling that you have to have it now before anyone else gets the dream house you are wanting. But seriously there are many dream homes here.

Also since I bought two new homes in The Villages, I would buy a pre-loved home if I had to do it over again. I did look at pre-loved homes before but at the time I was looking I couldn't find everything I was looking for. After being here I have noted several that would have been great.

We lucked out and both houses we bought were in a neighborhood of marvelous people. We love our neighbors from both Hemingway and Bonita.

Just try try try to thoroughly clean out "stuff" before you bring it. Stuff is great, but memories are a lot lighter and takes up much less room. I figure if it goes in attic storage besides seasonal decorations, you probably won't be seeing it again.

Guess I went into more than should you sell or buy first. If I had to do it again I would have sold first, leased for two months and then bought. Just my opinion. :}
Thanks for giving me more information than I asked for. It was very helpful. That is one of our BIG decisions is whether to buy new or pre-owned. I have been looking at the homes for sale everyday and there does seem to be a lot and most of them are very nice.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABSX2 View Post
OMG!! You sound just like me!! I also have been trying to tell myself to just stop thinking about it, that it is at least 2 years down the road, but then the next thing I know I am having the same depressing thoughts of wanting to be there and not being able to. I think I have mentally cleaned out all of my kitchen cabinets already.
One good thing about having 2 years to wait is it takes that long to downsize 30+ years of "stuff". I've been working on that for over 2 years now and still not done. We are in the middle of a kitchen remodel now. We will enjoy it while we are here and then it will be a good selling point when the house goes on the market.

Maybe we will arrive in TV at about the same time!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Location: Village of Charlotte (Lauren Villas) from Circleville, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It is always good to make yourself homeless so you won't be stuck with any property and there are always a lot of choices here. You can buy right away, you can rent and look or do what we did, rent and build.

I spent the time waiting the first time by painting big canvases of Florida birds and one big canvas of the bathrooms at Lake Sumter Landing and other Villages-like art for our new home. When we bought our first snowbird home, I spent the time looking at pictures of rooms in magazines and sewing some window treatments. And collecting accessories for the new place..and some furniture. You can also drink a lot of wine, but I don't recommend that....or,..... or just read and post on here...which I did a lot and it now has turned into an obsession.

I am thinking about treatment...but not yet.
graciegirl, I see that you are also from Ohio. What city did you escape from? I don't drink wine, but I could easily replace that with a frozen strawberry margarita! I can see how this could become an obession. Sooo many friendly people with lots of good advice.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPete View Post
Waiting is always the hardest part. We spent a good portion of our wait time getting our house ready to sell and then selling it. My wife spent a lot of time deciding what she wanted in our new house and how she wanted it furnished. After the house sold we were busy getting rid of all the stuff we had accumulated over the years. We downsized so we couldn't keep everything.

You'll find lots of things to keep you going. When you reach your goal, you'll look back and realize it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be. But for now it probably does feel like it will take an eternity. It won't, just hang in there and before you know it you will be cruising the cart paths enjoying your trip back to your TV home.

Jim
Ditto! Well said.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.