How do you stop your dogs from tearing your birdcage screen?

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2020, 09:28 PM
Default How do you stop your dogs from tearing your birdcage screen?

This is my first time posting, so I hope that I am doing it correctly. We would like to move to The Villages by summer. We have two small (15 pounds each) dogs. We would like to get a house with a large birdcage to keep them safe from wild animals. I think that they would probably tear up the screen if they saw something interesting in the backyard. What do pet owners do to avoid this problem? Is there something waterproof that we could put up against the screen?
Old 12-03-2020, 10:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,079 Times in 2,746 Posts

Easiest question I have ever responded to. Train them properly.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

I have read on previous threads, that Lowes sell some screening that is raccoon proof.
Lining the bottom 2-4 feet of your lanai with it will probably stop your dogs from destroying present screen from inside.
However, two small dogs alone in lanai may encourage raccoons, bobcats, to try their luck from the outside, and they can rip open lanais.
Six of one, half dozen of the other!
Old 12-04-2020, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I have 2 dogs and a good size birdcage. They are never in the birdcage by themselves. We have squirrels that run over the top of the birdcage and ducks come to look in because we have a pool. I have never seen any other animals. I would never leave them alone I do not think it is safe.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,935 Times in 2,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I have read on previous threads, that Lowes sell some screening that is raccoon proof.
Lining the bottom 2-4 feet of your lanai with it will probably stop your dogs from destroying present screen from inside.
However, two small dogs alone in lanai may encourage raccoons, bobcats, to try their luck from the outside, and they can rip open lanais.
Six of one, half dozen of the other!
Raccoons?
Old 12-04-2020, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,154 Times in 2,250 Posts

There is a product called PET SCREEN, we have this installed in the lower portions of out lanai and birdcage. It is a much heavier designed screen and is supposed to withstand a 20 pound (or more?) cat climbing it with no damage. There is also a few companies that do screen replacement, so you should be able to have the existing screens replaced with pet screen.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

personally, i'd never leave a pet out by itself/themselves. too many predators or other critters that may be interesting to your dogs.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:06 AM
Veteran member

This is why we are looking at a CYV. Our dogs are bigger and we know that they need an enclosed yard to run around in. If there was a squirrel or a duck sitting right outside of a screen I know that they would scratch the screen.

We've lived in an apartment where we had to walk the dogs on leash every time they needed to go outside and it was good exercise but also pretty time consuming.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:18 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Designer/ranch homes with fences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
This is why we are looking at a CYV. Our dogs are bigger and we know that they need an enclosed yard to run around in. If there was a squirrel or a duck sitting right outside of a screen I know that they would scratch the screen.

We've lived in an apartment where we had to walk the dogs on leash every time they needed to go outside and it was good exercise but also pretty time consuming.
The Villages has been building designer/ranch homes with fences south of 466A. They are a good alternative to a courtyard villa. To each his own...
Old 12-04-2020, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topspinmo View Post
raccoons?
header_racoon01-jpg
Old 12-04-2020, 11:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
The Villages has been building designer/ranch homes with fences south of 466A. They are a good alternative to a courtyard villa. To each his own...
We're planning to seriously look at the new designer ranch homes with fences, too. At this point, we know we need a fence, we want an easy maintenance yard and we would prefer to be within walking distance to a town square or at least a clubhouse or shopping center w/dining options.

Our dogs are energetic but not barkers/yappers or escape artists so they are o.k. to be let outside alone in a fenced in yard for short stretches.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
We're planning to seriously look at the new designer ranch homes with fences, too. At this point, we know we need a fence, we want an easy maintenance yard and we would prefer to be within walking distance to a town square or at least a clubhouse or shopping center w/dining options.

Our dogs are energetic but not barkers/yappers or escape artists so they are o.k. to be let outside alone in a fenced in yard for short stretches.
Please be careful leaving your dog outside alone. We do have predators that will jump the fence, or walk along the top looking for a snack. We had a bobcat walk thru our yard couple of times last week
Old 12-04-2020, 08:53 PM

We didn't plan on leaving them alone. I would like to build an area for them to go to the bathroom in the birdcage. We will take them on walks, of course, too, but that isn't always possible.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:54 PM

The pet screen product is a great idea! Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,079 Times in 2,746 Posts

This thread blows my mind. Why is the overwhelming solution getting some kind of dog proof screen instead of taking the responsibility to properly train your dog. Our dog would never damage a screen, and we use exclusively positive reinforcement to train our little girl.
Closed Thread

Tags
screen, birdcage, dogs, tear, animals

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.