How far in advance to register for activities?

Closed Thread
Old 06-21-2016, 12:06 PM
Default How far in advance to register for activities?

Hi, ever since I heard of The Villages I have been reading about it and found "Talk of The Villages" and have reading about living there. Last fall we finally did a Lifestyle visit, it was short and we spent the time exploring the villages. When I called to make reservations I asked about the avcitivities and how I could participate and the lady said she didn't know if I could, if there was space. Whille there I read the paper and all the listings of the acitivities. Activities is the reason why I would like to be there,not a golfer. We would like to return and spend more time, renting for awhile, my question do you just show up at the activity you want to particaipate in or is there a time when registeration has to be done, and have you had difficulities in getting into any of them, ex: water aerobics,Line dancing? Are you limited to the nr.of sessions you can take, water aerobics had classes back to back. Thank you for any info you an provide on this subject.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,510 Times in 1,910 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Getting "in" to the activity depends on the time of year and the popularity.

Sometimes you just have to go early.

I haven't ever been shut out of anything except claying. They require you take the college course first. For other activities I have sometimes had to show up at least 45 minutes ahead of time in high season. But not many.

There is always plenty of room at the art and craft activities I have chosen. All rec centers and their activities are open to all villagers, not just the ones who live closeby. In new areas, there is usually more participation because everyone is excited to try everything. You may have to take a scenic ride in your golf cart a few miles away to find the activity of your choice.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:40 PM

Thank you Gracie Girl, so just show up,sounds like early bird gets in. One if the classes had 20 something limit, so show up,count # waiting and either stay or look for another acty.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,685 Times in 954 Posts

The recreation news is a good source of information. You can often see when pre-registration is needed.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:39 PM
Gold member

Well, most water aerobics classes have a limit of 80 I think, but yes in high season you need to get there early. They'll give you a number, if you get a number you are in. Same thing with Yoga and line dancing, etc... In those type of classes the limit is the number the room can safely hold.
Really it's not that big of a problem.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:43 PM

I believe that any activities like water aerobics are only open to residents, not renters.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 06-21-2016, 04:24 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Just make sure you get a resident card from your homeowner and you have no limitations. The cost of the card is $50 for up to two people and good for your stay. Very easy to obtain, so no worries. You're free to pursue activities as much as you like.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-21-2016, 04:27 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post
I believe that any activities like water aerobics are only open to residents, not renters.
some landlords have you pay a fee to get a resident card...then you can do everything....
Old 06-21-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post

As long as you have the villages ID normally an extra charge from homeowners you have access to all activities just like the homeowner. Guests would not have access to these activities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2016, 07:52 PM

Question, we are new owners. Does that mean that if we have guests, they are unable to participate?
Old 06-21-2016, 10:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,930 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kids5 View Post
Thank you Gracie Girl, so just show up,sounds like early bird gets in. One if the classes had 20 something limit, so show up,count # waiting and either stay or look for another acty.
Make sure to read the descriptions of the activities, too, to find out if there are prior requirements, or you have to call the instructor to describe your abilities (mostly strength training and some aerobics classes). Also, be aware that a lot of these are not classes per se, in that they will not teach you how to do something but are rather a group to go to in order to practice your craft. They will list that in the activity's description in the Recreation department's weekly magazine, which can also be accessed online. The Villages Daily Sun: Recreation News

Some sporting activities (particularly pickleball leagues and tournaments and drills) require a rating or and also completion of beginning clinics.

Some clubs have a membership limit and are full.

Not trying to put you off; there is plenty to do!
Old 06-22-2016, 05:06 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathrynsews View Post
Question, we are new owners. Does that mean that if we have guests, they are unable to participate?
Have no fear, your guests will be able to participate in almost everything, they just pay a little more. For example, my passion is duplicate bridge. Residents pay $2.00 a session, guests $4.00. However, if an activity is full, guests will be asked to leave to make room for a resident. This does occur, usually during high season.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-22-2016, 06:59 AM

The purpose of a guest pass is to allow your guest entrance to the same fun activities you get to do at the many rec centers, pools and golf courses. However, you may encounter some situations which could effect your plans.

When my sister was visiting me in April, we were told by the person checking passes for a line dancing class that she would only be allowed in, because it appeared that the class was not going to be full. Otherwise, she would be asked to wait outside the class door until start time.
I was also told that the exercise pools were off limits to guests.

I understand and agree with the owner first priority policy but, I just wanted you to know there are stipulations to guest passes.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, time, water, activities, reading

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.