I am looking for my first hearing aid...suggestions?

Closed Thread
Old 06-04-2023, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
My audiologist is at The Villages Health. She did the testing, made the recommendations, and gave me a 60-day free trial of the model she recommended. It ended up being a 90-day trial, plus she matched a price for the same model I found online from my FloridaBlue affiliated hearing company (I think it was hearusa.com? Something like that). She also threw in a bluetooth TV streaming device, which I use on my desktop computer, since that's where I usually watch movies and such. With the discounted price I paid, I /also/ get three years of adjustments, a yearly hearing test, firmware updates, one battery replacement, and all the tails and wax caps I need.
Dear Orange Blossom,
Thanks for the information and taking time to reply. Could you please give me the name of your audiologist?
Many Thanks,
Michael
Old 06-04-2023, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmurrell View Post
As much as I hate the idea, it is time for me to look for my first set of hearing aids. I have looked at Google Reviews, of course, and find it pretty confusing. So I am asking those of you who have had the experience of buying and using hearing aids to comment on what you have learned and what you would recommend.

All ears.

Michael Murrell
Marsh Bend
Get the best that you can afford. Costco, sams do not sell latest technology . Starkey is the best. Audiologist in colony plaza sells them. It takes 2 to 3 weeks to adjust to them when first using them. Your Audiologist guides you through this. Never a charge.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:59 AM

Quote:
As much as I hate the idea, it is time for me to look for my first set of hearing aids. I have looked at Google Reviews, of course, and find it pretty confusing. So I am asking those of you who have had the experience of buying and using hearing aids to comment on what you have learned and what you would recommend.

All ears.

Michael Murrell
Marsh Bend
I got mine 6 years ago in my home state via an audiologist. I got the Oticon brand and they changed my life. I can stream from my phone and iPad which makes phone calls so much easier and I can watch a video clip without annoying everyone. There are also special settings for crowded room situations and other situations. Now that I live here, I see Dr Greg Freeman at Villages Health who connects with my hearing aids for upgrades and has never tried to upsell. He said these are the best for me and keep using them till they break. I go for a hearing test every year and he makes adjustments. The Villages Health Audiology takes all kinds of insurance.

Good for you for taking this step. Having hearing aids also improves your brain health.

DeKalb, Illinois / Twin Cities, Minnesota

Last edited by TorriJ; 06-04-2023 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:10 AM

Quote:

All ears.

Michael Murrell
Marsh Bend
Hearing Aids from Hear Again America
16770 Hwy 441, Ste #604
352-347-2700
They are very knowledgeable, helpful and easy to work with.
They sell more than one brand, I have PHONAK and am very happy with them.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:10 AM
Default Consumer Reports on "OTC" Hearing Aids

The May/June 2023 issue of Consumer Reports has a report on the newly legal, non-prescription "Over the Counter" hearing aids. They rated some of them but you'll need to subscribe to the magazine or go to the library to read the full report.

Here's the article without the specific ratings.
A Complete Guide to Over-the-Counter Hearing Aids - Consumer Reports
Old 06-04-2023, 06:13 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Al Turri villages health for an evaluation. You can buy or get on subscription basis with maintenance.

Al Turri - Director of Audiology - The Villages Health
Turri recommends going every four months to have the aids checked for $60 (to have the doctor check them) per or the Assistant's fees are $40 per. I believe the yearly fee is $200 anytime. Insurance can not be used for these visits so we found out.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:14 AM
Veteran member

I had ear surgery about 20 years ago and have had significant hearing loss in one ear since. I finally decided to get a hearing aid. I live south of 44 so wanted someone close. My sister sells hearing aids in Lakeland FL so I knew I would discuss with her the brand, price etc first. I made my appointment at Mid FLorida Hearing in Lake Deaton Plaza. I double checked the pricing and brand with my sister and she gave me the green light to move forward. I love being able to answer/talk on the phone through my hearing aid, stream on my phone or iPad and most of all, hear again out of that ear. It’s important to live some what close as you’ll need to go in for adjustments and cleanings all which are included in the price of the hearing aid. Bart wanted to start me out at only 85% because it had been such a long time my hearing had been bad, I’m now at 90% and will go up to 100% on my 3 month cleaning. So, in the first month, I’ll have gone in for 4 appointments. I go back in another 2 weeks and he did say he’d go up to 100 at anytime I wanted. I got the Phonak L 50 R and my sister said that’s the one she fits the most in Lakeland. Bart said that was one of the best brands out there and after doing my own research, agree it’s a great one. Good luck!

Last edited by Kelevision; 06-04-2023 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:15 AM
Default buy at

Costco
Old 06-04-2023, 06:17 AM

Quote:

All ears.

Michael Murrell
Marsh Bend
If you are a veteran, check with the VA hospital in The Villages. You may have to wait several months for an appointment but the service that I received was excellent and you can not beat their price.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:44 AM

Where's Costco? None nearby that I know of.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:57 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump4 View Post
The Villages Health - $6000+ per pair
Costco - under $2000 with free lifetime adjustments
Both, top-line name-brand.

OTC - under $1000
It totally depends on the level of hearing loss. They need to come with a very good audiologist who can properly adjust them for the range of sound you are missing.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:14 AM
Default Just got mine from Costco

I just got my first hearing aids at Costco a week ago. Here are the steps I took:

1 - I took the hearing test online at soundly.com. Have good quality headphones for this. It will give you a good idea of your issues. It told me my hearing loss was severe enough that I should avoid the over the counter hearing aids which are for mild to moderate hearing issues.
2 - I setup an appointment at the Costco in Lutz (about an hour away and great shopping and restaurants all around it).
3 - Then before Costco I had an appointment with my family doctor to check out my ears and clean the wax as that is a problem I have as well and Costco will not do the test if there is wax build up.
4 - The audiologist did a very extensive hearing test. I thought I would buy their Jabra brand hearing aid and he said I needed the Phillips and explained why.
5 - I had my Phillips hearing aid a week later. There are sounds I am hearing that I had completely forgotten about, I hear what people say to me and music sounds amazing again.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:15 AM
Default Digital Ear in Colony Plazs

Quote:

All ears.

Michael Murrell
Marsh Bend
I have used hearing aids for years but needed updating.
Used John at Digital Ear in Colony Plaza. Impressive examination, professional experience, new digital hearing aids with many new features, and very fast delivery.
Excellent delivery orientation, no problem with helping me understand the new features and how to implement and fine tune. Highly recommend!
Old 06-04-2023, 07:28 AM
Default Hearing aids...

When I started looking about 4 years ago, I did the Sam's test and looked at their hearing aids. After looking around I too found that Sam's was much cheaper but had old, old technology. They told me Bluetooth was just another cost, and it would not use it. I use it all the time. Go to a good audiologist. OTS aids may be good, but how will they be adjusted for your personal needs through your audiogram? Hearing aids don't bring back your hearing the way it was, but they do help. Good luck.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:47 AM
Default Ringing in the Ears

Quote:

All ears.

Michael Murrell
Marsh Bend
Do hearing aids help with ringing in the ears?
Closed Thread

Tags
hearing, aids, experience, buying, learned

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.