I am looking for my first hearing aid...suggestions?

Closed Thread
Old 06-04-2023, 08:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,378 Times in 2,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbene View Post
Do hearing aids help with ringing in the ears?
I read a report that said if a person has hearing loss as well as Tinnitus, hearing aids may improve the condition.
I should imagine if you have no hearing loss, and still try a hearing aid, if nothing improves, the ringing should sound better.
Old 06-04-2023, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,378 Times in 2,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
Turri recommends going every four months to have the aids checked for $60 (to have the doctor check them) per or the Assistant's fees are $40 per. I believe the yearly fee is $200.
Once you have the aids set up and balanced, that seems like overkill to me, and more about the money than after care.
I very seldom see my audiologist, unless I have a problem.
You would soon know if your aids need service or adjusting.
JMO.
Old 06-04-2023, 08:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmurrell View Post
As much as I hate the idea, it is time for me to look for my first set of hearing aids. I have looked at Google Reviews, of course, and find it pretty confusing. So I am asking those of you who have had the experience of buying and using hearing aids to comment on what you have learned and what you would recommend.

All ears.

Michael Murrell
Marsh Bend
Buy just what you need, don’t get a bunch of bells & whistles that you don’t need. I bought the top of the line, (Phonax) they said at the time the were the best. Actually it was a mistake because the only thing I had hooked up to mine was Bluetooth phone calls, I can talk to anybody even if I set my phone down & I’m across a room I can have a conversation. I think there’s 6 or 7 other things it can do but I got them because the clairity was very good. Also I thought if I bought the best I would never have to buy any other Hearing aide. The Ins. I have I can get certain Hearing Aide for free. They work fine. But this way I never let the Audiologist talk me into any other kind to let them make money off of me. My suggestion is buy whatever let’s you hear clearly! Nobodies Hearing is the same.
Old 06-04-2023, 08:24 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

I have been wearing hearing aids for about 15 years now. For the past 7 years, I have been going to Costco for those needs. I have "severe" loss in one ear, and "profound" loss in the other. In my experience (YMMV), Costco provided the best and most complete hearing exam I have ever had.

My current aids are the Costco-branded Kirkland Signature KS10 model. These aids are manufactured by Sonova, and are, in reality, a white label version of Sonova's Phonak Paradise model...their flagship brand at the time I got them. They are certainly not "old technology." In fact, Costco uses Phonak branded software to set up and adjust the instruments. These are digital, Bluetooth devices that connect directly to a television and my phone. The best part is that the Kirkland branded aids were 1/3 the price of their Phonak brother, and the hearing test at Costco is free.

The Kirkland KS10 is no available any longer. The speculation is Costco is preparing to come out with a KS11 model, which fits their historical timeline. They typically come out with a new model every couple of years, and last fall Phonak introduced a new model, the Phonak Lumity. Less than a month later, Costco discontinued the sale of the KS10. The theory is that a new KS11 will come out this year as a white label Phonak Lumity model. If true, expect to get a high end, current technology hearing aid at a very reasonable price.

Some folks have said that Costco discontinued the KS10 model due to rechargeability issues, but I have not experienced that problem. They continue to offer an unbeatable warranty, lifetime cleanings and adjustments, free hearing tests, and the lowest retail pricing. I think I'll stick with them.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:02 AM

I’ve had Resound, Oticon and Phonak. I prefer the Phonak for clarity and having the tv and phone Bluetooth ability. If you’re a veteran, the VA will test you for free. If you need aids, they are free also.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:05 AM
Default Beware Bossa OTC hearing aids

I don't have major hearing loss, and now that you can buy over-the-counter hearing aids I went online and bought a set from Bossa Hearing Aid Co. They sell a wide variety, I bought a pair that they advertised as "invisible". They were not. So they said send them back and we will refund your money per our return policy. So I returned them, they acknowledged receipt, and have kept my money, so far for four months.

I am filing a complaint with the state of Florida consumer fraud division.
So avoid Bossa Hearing aids.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:38 AM

If you are a Vet, you maybe to get them free.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:06 AM

We use only Pronak. They are expensive but ours lasted 7 years before we had to replace them. Minimal repairs during the 7 years. Check out Renaissance Hearing in the shopping center, Wildwood. Excellent service and an indepth hearing test before the owner sells you.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:35 AM
Default it depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbene View Post
Do hearing aids help with ringing in the ears?
What I've read:

It depends on what is causing the ringing. If it is a medical condition such as a disease, then probably not and you need to go to a doctor.

If it is due to standard hearing loss from nerve damage and old age...maybe. I've had my hearing aids for a week and I've noticed the ringing has decreased some and am hoping that as my brain gets used to the sounds I am hearing again then it will stop the ringing it gives me.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:56 AM
Default Please make sure that you use them all day!

I have found that I'm hearing more proficiently when I put them on as soon as I get up in the morning and remove them just before I hop into bed. Be careful with your hands near them if you wear glasses or have longer hair. I once had the type that was completely in my ear and lost one (I guess when pushing my hair away from my face). I now occasionally catch the over-the-ear part in my hand when fiddling with my eyeglasses or my hair.
Old 06-04-2023, 12:45 PM

Go to Mid-Florida Hearing in Deaton Plaza. Family-owned business and well run. I would recommend the Phonak hearing aids as I have had them for several years and they work great and are very comfortable.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
yes costco and sams are cheaper but what ever brand you choose make sure they are the newest HA's available as far as technology .. I have a friend who purchased from costco and they were new HA's but 2nd generation technology ... also make sure you have unlimited lifetime visits for adjustments/fine tuning the first few months can be frustrating getting them fine tuned .. if you spend a lot of time outdoors make sure the HA's have a strong wind supression other wise all you will hear is the crackling noise from wind .. another feature is streaming your TV and phone calls .. I find streamimg raises my comprehension to about 90% on most programs and do not need to use closed caption.. and last but not least is battery consumption.. I wear Resound Omnia's and they are rechareable so every night I just stick them in the charger .. I usually wear my HA's about 15hrs a day and still have about 40% charge left at end of the day .. I stream TV anywhere from 5hrs weekdays to 8/10 hrs watching sports on weekends.. streaming TV uses more battery life
Totally agree! Having worn hearing aids for over 10 years. I started needing them after we moved here. Lots of so called ‘discounts’ out there. Usually older technology. A qualified Audiologist at at a reputable Medical Practice assures you are getting the best care and best options. Don’t buy on price!

I recommend Lake Ears, Nose and Throat. They have a couple of offices. Their number is: (352) 753-8448. They have 3 Audiologists, my favorite is Mindy. She is patient and willing to work with me every time I need new hearing aids to get them adjusted to my needs. New technology comes every 5 or so years. As my hearing has deteriorated so far technology has advanced to keep me able to fully participate in life.

Many people buy on price and then wonder why they don’t see the full benefits of their new hearing aids.
Old 06-05-2023, 07:55 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,247 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerk View Post
Totally agree! Having worn hearing aids for over 10 years. I started needing them after we moved here. Lots of so called ‘discounts’ out there. Usually older technology. A qualified Audiologist at at a reputable Medical Practice assures you are getting the best care and best options. Don’t buy on price!

I recommend Lake Ears, Nose and Throat. They have a couple of offices. Their number is: (352) 753-8448. They have 3 Audiologists, my favorite is Mindy. She is patient and willing to work with me every time I need new hearing aids to get them adjusted to my needs. New technology comes every 5 or so years. As my hearing has deteriorated so far technology has advanced to keep me able to fully participate in life.

Many people buy on price and then wonder why they don’t see the full benefits of their new hearing aids.
I would say don't buy on price ONLY. You can get exactly the same technology at Costco (and a few others) as at the big name hearing aid stores and clinics. Bear in mind that after you go to the clinic, that Dr will still go to the open market to recommend and buy the actual aid. It will just be increased in price as it is resold to you.

Testing for and programming hearing aids is no longer an "art". It is computer driven and a good technician is the key factor in a custom fit. Not discounting the value of a good audiologist -especially if you have an odd type of hearing loss - but pointing out the advance in technology that has changed their role.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 06-05-2023, 03:06 PM
Default Oticon Hearing Aids

If you buy over the ear with mold. It will be equal to your hearing when you were born. Research reviews for good customer service.
I had Phonak and it drove me crazy till I reported a professor for lying to me.
With the correct settings you can hear a pin drop. And a direct connection to the manufacturer at customer service to report anything strange which has never happened in 20 years. A very satisfied customer.
Old 06-05-2023, 03:16 PM

Go to a audiologist. I go to Dr. Milstead at Lake ENT & FPS. The phone # is 352-753-8448. She will clean your ears if they need it.
Closed Thread

Tags
hearing, aids, experience, buying, learned

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.