Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2021, 11:00 AM
Veteran member
Default Private club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
I miss Cattle Baron. It was a go to restaurant for out of town company. Like
taking them to a private club.
There's still a private club in The Villages. The Angler's Club. But you can't go there unless you are family, friends, associates or politically influential chums of the developer. I wonder if it is profitable. I doubt whether he cares.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
There's still a private club in The Villages. The Angler's Club. But you can't go there unless you are family, friends, associates or politically influential chums of the developer. I wonder if it is profitable. I doubt whether he cares.
I had dinner there and the food was excellent. A monthly fee to be a member.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Katie Belles had a problem.

So many coming, one or two drinks, and sit all night watching the performers.

Economically, a restaurant cannot survive like that
I am not saying this didn't happen however if this was the real issue why would they simply not institute a minimum spend policy. Instead they closed down half of it, spent the money to revamp on the second floor of a senior citizen community and then use the same model ? It still has a stage, a dance floor, but more a restaurant than "saloon" . Again wouldn't minimum spend accomplish the same with twice space and capacity. KB's never lacked for drawing a crowd. Many nights there was a line to get in. The entertainment is/was the same performers as when the stage was downstairs. More than meets the eye here. Me thinks they were setting up for closure but had to deal with their own personal quilt of closing Harold's pride and joy named after his mother. I also believe H. Gary Morse would never allowed for the closure also.

Let's try this as a starting point:
- Didn't fit with the atmosphere/clientele they thought The Sharon was going to draw I.E. upscale dinning.
- Too many restaurants in The Square were competing for good wait staff. Thus The Developers were the competition of other businesses they were charging rent. All were beginning to lose.
- Lack of dependable / quality staffing was causing high turnaround and the drug trafficking started to increase.
- The Developers simply lost interest as they have with other items throughout the years (which is their right- it's their kingdom). The profit simply wasn't worth the headaches.

Other theories exist. BUT I don't fall for this it was because the patrons were drinking water. That's putting the blame on us and that's BS. We, the same patrons are still living here.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:00 PM
Veteran member

So, tell me. Can anybody join if the can afford the monthly fee?
Old 03-15-2021, 01:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
So, tell me. Can anybody join if the can afford the monthly fee?
You need to be invited by a Morse or a local business owner. I wish I could join the food and service were excellent. Interestinfact no prices on the menu.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:23 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

The original KB's was a well designed club that was run right for a long time. I am aware that some people would spend time there sipping on a glass of water and literally buying nothing. If folks don't spend at a club it folds.

KB's reminded me of a club in my old home town where I spent a lot of time (and money). They had good house bands, ladies night a couple days a week and brought in some top bands. Men always paid a cover charge. The place opened at 5:00 p.m., ran a two for one happy hour until 7:00 p.m., and was always filled and so popular the owners eventually bought the land next door and built a new much larger club using the same floor plan but greatly expanded. They tore down the old building and used that land for parking. They maybe had two acres of parking at this point. This club was a success for fifty years.

This video shows the layout. While a latin band is playing in the video the Caravan East was primarily a country-western venue. Caravan East Night Club in Albuquerque, Features Live Music by Severoy Grupo Fuego on Vimeo

The neighborhood changed over the years and became so rough the locals started calling it the "war zone". That is likely why they closed. It became unsafe to even drive in the neighborhood, especially at night.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 03-15-2021 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:32 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Developers develop.

Once developed, if profitable developers tend to sell off and go onto the next project.
There are not many who want to be in the retail business, the bar business, the restaurant business..................mostly when (say) half of the population is season.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Katie Belles had a problem.

So many coming, one or two drinks, and sit all night watching the performers.

Economically, a restaurant cannot survive like that
They could have fixed that in two seconds flat. Institute a minimum that would allow them to make money.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:17 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
It's their money, their property and none of our business how they spend THEIR money. What is so hard to understand about that?
Old 03-15-2021, 02:20 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
They could have fixed that in two seconds flat. Institute a minimum that would allow them to make money.
People who were too cheap to buy a meal and some drinks to fund the operation of that venue definitely would be too cheap to pay a cover charge. They took advantage of the situation to their detriment.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:24 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I am not saying this didn't happen however if this was the real issue why would they simply not institute a minimum spend policy. Instead they closed down half of it, spent the money to revamp on the second floor of a senior citizen community and then use the same model ? It still has a stage, a dance floor, but more a restaurant than "saloon" . Again wouldn't minimum spend accomplish the same with twice space and capacity. KB's never lacked for drawing a crowd. Many nights there was a line to get in. The entertainment is/was the same performers as when the stage was downstairs. More than meets the eye here. Me thinks they were setting up for closure but had to deal with their own personal quilt of closing Harold's pride and joy named after his mother. I also believe H. Gary Morse would never allowed for the closure also.

Let's try this as a starting point:
- Didn't fit with the atmosphere/clientele they thought The Sharon was going to draw I.E. upscale dinning.
- Too many restaurants in The Square were competing for good wait staff. Thus The Developers were the competition of other businesses they were charging rent. All were beginning to lose.
- Lack of dependable / quality staffing was causing high turnaround and the drug trafficking started to increase.
- The Developers simply lost interest as they have with other items throughout the years (which is their right- it's their kingdom). The profit simply wasn't worth the headaches.

Other theories exist. BUT I don't fall for this it was because the patrons were drinking water. That's putting the blame on us and that's BS. We, the same patrons are still living here.
Just like you said, its all theories (actually nothing but baseless guesses), nothing supported by fact. How many restaurants have you successfully operated?
Old 03-15-2021, 03:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Just like you said, its all theories (actually nothing but baseless guesses), nothing supported by fact. How many restaurants have you successfully operated?
None - I had enough smarts to make money in a much easier way.
Old 03-15-2021, 03:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
People who were too cheap to buy a meal and some drinks to fund the operation of that venue definitely would be too cheap to pay a cover charge. They took advantage of the situation to their detriment.
Theory - Proof ?
Old 03-15-2021, 03:26 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Agree.
About the only place where minimum's work are country clubs.
(not many even work there)

They are a form of dues that creates volume for a food service operation to survive.
Old 03-15-2021, 03:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Agree

Instead they fixed it by spending a boatload of money remodeling and downsizing but keeping true to the same old formula. Something wrong with this picture !
Closed Thread

Tags
katie, miss, villages, place, residents

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.