Internet Service

Old 04-05-2024, 06:25 AM
Default Internet Service

I just purchased a home in the village of Southern Oaks and will be using it as a part-time home and was wondering if there’s anyway to get Internet service on a monthly basis when I am here instead of paying for it on a yearly basis.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:21 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,791 Times in 3,654 Posts

Check out Spectrum.

They have a Seasonal / Vacation mode.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,113 Times in 2,762 Posts

Comcast allows you to put the service on vacation/seasonal status, but you can only do it once per year and it has to be for a minimum 90 days. It works good for snowbirds who only migrate between homes once per year, but not so good for snowflakes who flutter between their homes periodically throughout the year. The vacation status still allows basic service so home monitoring systems will remain functional.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjamesfuss View Post
I just purchased a home in the village of Southern Oaks and will be using it as a part-time home and was wondering if there’s anyway to get Internet service on a monthly basis when I am here instead of paying for it on a yearly basis.
If you have a mobile phone can it serve as a hot spot?
Old 04-05-2024, 08:44 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Depending on what Village you have bought into, you may have Centric Fiber pre-installed. Whether, the alternate options listed above are available at your new house, depends on its location. If you are pre-wired for Centric then they would be the people to ask. Once you find out your service provider options, you will want to check out the pricing. You may not save much by turning the service on & off. For example the fiber optic option I have in my Village is less than half (almost a third) of what I was paying previously.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,919 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
The only way I know of is to use star link, as you pay monthly, and can turn it on an off. Friends have it for RVing. The only reception requirement is to have a clear access to the sky. You can get the mobile antenna for varying angle reception as the portable version is a flat panel and you can move it around for better reception.

Plugs into your router. Probably will need a custom home networking solution designed independent of the cable provided solution.

good luck
Old 04-27-2024, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
If you have a mobile phone can it serve as a hot spot?
I have T-Mobile. With the right plan you get unlimited internet through your phone by turning on the hot spot. Inconvenient for the TV streaming but it works for everyone in the house.

My daughter was too lazy to ask for our Wifi password (teenagers!). She used a TB of data off her phone. Cost was $0.

With T-Mobile you also get Netflix and the $149 MLB.tv service for free. Watch every game for every team for no matter where you live. Might get blackout of Tampa team.

Last edited by bshuler; 04-27-2024 at 09:24 AM.

Tags
internet, basis, service, home, there’s

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.