Is Lake Denham within Leesburg City Limits

Closed Thread
Old 03-04-2023, 08:31 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutmama View Post
Curious. If in Lake County, does that still mean no bond to pay? Or has that changed? Might be an offset to higher taxes & flood insurance.
There will be a bond attached. The bond is the funding mechanism used by the developer to pay for the infrastructure costs to build a village.
Old 03-04-2023, 08:47 AM
Default Flood zone

Do not worry about flood zone, we purchased our last 2 homes in flood zones, after about a year, fema will do another survey and you will be removed from the flood zone. The villages always brings the soil above flood zone, just takes time for fema to catch up. We paid about 500 for flood insurance the first year. The biggest problem with being in the initial flood zone is that you have to escrow your taxes and insurance, which most banks demand when you are in flood zone, unless you pay cash for the house. Good Luck.
Old 03-04-2023, 06:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc1965 View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses. We were successful in acquiring the lot, but now have learned it is in flood zone A according to Lake County. Now pursuing advisement on how to move forward. Some have suggested hiring a surveyor to certify that the elevation is now different from that found in public records.
Can you build a 2 story house there like in the coastal flood plane areas?
Old 03-04-2023, 09:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdecastro View Post
Pick another lot; there are plenty. It is going to be a flood zone. BTW, your agent knew - or should have. It is right on the site map. Newell has a few flood lots - on lots no where near water. I am building in Newell and wish I stayed in Citrus Grove. Not to mention no one has bought my house yet.

One last thing - it does NOT mean it WILL flood. See what flood ins will cost - may be worth staying.
Good advice. When we were looking to buy, we learned than much of Chitty Chatty and Bradford were on "flood plains". They would require flood insurance in order to get a mortgage... IIRC, it wasn't THAT expensive.

-Tom Petty
Old 03-04-2023, 09:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
They piled a lot of soil in that area. The flood map may not be up to date to the final grading for the home.

I've observed the lots trend to be more than about 75ft above sea level.

You can rough check using the Compass app on an Apple Watch. Or another GPS App. Compare your home reading to other areas.
Sea level isn't the issue...

It's the nearby LAKE Level...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-04-2023, 11:08 PM

I am in Lake and I have a bond - Village of Pine Ridge
Old 03-05-2023, 05:46 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default City of Leesburg

Here is an interactive map for Leesburg. There are some flood zones south of Lake Dedham area. Bridget, Vanbeck, Tanya, Newell, Gary, Ralph, Christian, Wettstien, Meggison and Schroeder are problem areas. As far as taxes, from what I understand Leesburg has their hands in the millage till up to the Lake County line, while Wildwood has everything south of 44 in Sumter.

ArcGIS Web Application

I do have some basic questions based on reasonable conjecture:

1) Were lot prices reduced because of flooding charts and additional costs to the prospective homeowner?
2) Reduced prices seem to correlate with a time period where interest rates are higher making someone look like the good guy? Was this the plan all along to get the most for the Villages dollar on otherwise questionable real estate?

“Full steam ahead on the flood zone area we bought! Hurry, interest rates are going up! We can finally ditch this swampland!”

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning

Last edited by Normal; 03-05-2023 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-05-2023, 06:55 AM

What you were able to do is great.

Prior to fall of 2022, you had many more custom choices than the ones you suggest. It seems like this isn’t always presented to new buyers. We created bathrooms, moved bedrooms etc. Anything you want (reasonably) for your pool and birdcage. Have the word “custom” thrown around to frequently. All new buyers should ensure they know what that means before they make a purchase decision and wait for their “custom” new build.
Old 03-05-2023, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Here is an interactive map for Leesburg. There are some flood zones south of Lake Dedham area. Bridget, Vanbeck, Tanya, Newell, Gary, Ralph, Christian, Wettstien, Meggison and Schroeder are problem areas. As far as taxes, from what I understand Leesburg has their hands in the millage till up to the Lake County line, while Wildwood has everything south of 44 in Sumter.

ArcGIS Web Application

I do have some basic questions based on reasonable conjecture:

1) Were lot prices reduced because of flooding charts and additional costs to the prospective homeowner?
2) Reduced prices seem to correlate with a time period where interest rates are higher making someone look like the good guy? Was this the plan all along to get the most for the Villages dollar on otherwise questionable real estate?

“Full steam ahead on the flood zone area we bought! Hurry, interest rates are going up! We can finally ditch this swampland!”
No need for "conjecture." They elevated those areas, you can see it in the latest GoldWingnut video. The flood zone maps have not yet been updated to reflect final grading in that area.
Closed Thread

Tags
lake, denham, leesburg, tax, city

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.