Looking to build - looking for advice.

Closed Thread
Old 03-09-2021, 06:10 AM
Smile Looking to build - looking for advice.

We met with a Village's rep over the weekend and are looking to build in the next 6-9 months. We want a Veranda, but she told us that we can't build those - we can only pick from what the Villages builds. This is disappointing because I want a certain color of the house, kitchen and bath and the only real alteration I want is a wall oven. Does anyone know why we can't buy a Veranda lot and build on it?

Also, how was your experience with building?
Old 03-09-2021, 06:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

The Villages has their own rules on new builds and verandas, courtyard villas, etc are not on the new build list, it's that simple and no, you won't change their mind. Your choices seem to be 1) build a designer home and choose your kitchen, etc or 2) buy a spec veranda and renovate. I'd agree they should be able to accommodate you, but they have a plan and they stick to it. If you don't want their house, there's someone in line behind you. That's the business model. Best wishes.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
The Villages has their own rules on new builds and verandas, courtyard villas, etc are not on the new build list, it's that simple and no, you won't change their mind. Your choices seem to be 1) build a designer home and choose your kitchen, etc or 2) buy a spec veranda and renovate. I'd agree they should be able to accommodate you, but they have a plan and they stick to it. If you don't want their house, there's someone in line behind you. That's the business model. Best wishes.
What he said. At the time we built, they wouldn't even change the way the tile was laid from square to diagonal since it would "disrupt their production."
Old 03-09-2021, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
We have had new homes built for us eleven times in our lifetime. We purchased a designer in Hadley that was brand new, already built, as our first home here. (At that time they were NOT building "to kinda suit". Our second home here was built for us at Bridgeport at Laurel Valley. The Villages is not going to accommodate your wishes EXACTLY, the way a "custom builder" will build, but they are VERY GOOD builders and VERY GOOD at follow up and they have excellent contractors and subs working for them and the appliances offered are bought in bulk and they are fine. They won't be "Sub-Zero" or other fancy things but we really, REALLY like the quality of our home and we have added things that make it our own.

When you come here, you aren't in Kansas anymore....they have their own rules because they can. They are and have been highly sought after and I think they are extremely trustworthy.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msurette View Post
We met with a Village's rep over the weekend and are looking to build in the next 6-9 months. We want a Veranda, but she told us that we can't build those - we can only pick from what the Villages builds. This is disappointing because I want a certain color of the house, kitchen and bath and the only real alteration I want is a wall oven. Does anyone know why we can't buy a Veranda lot and build on it?

Also, how was your experience with building?
The answer was given to you by the Village's rep - you can only pick from what the Villages builds. They are the contractor, on their lots, on their terms, on their schedule. That applies to new builds. You can buy a pre-owned and remodel it with your own contractor providing appropriate building permits and ARC approval which basically enforces a bunch of rules related to your house exterior and landscaping. What you do to the inside is your choice. There is a color pallet covenant here and you must play by those rules for the exterior of your house new or used. It may differ neighborhood to neighborhood especially Villas. Some Villa neighborhoods every unit is the same color.
Closed Thread

Tags
build, villages, veranda, real, kitchen

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.