Looking to buy - which area would be best

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2022, 05:17 AM

Decide if LOUD Turn Pike highway noise bothers you upfront. Understand quickly that the noise levels change dramatically based on temperature, time of day, and humidity levels. The noise can be fine on Monday and so loud on Wednesday that it will blow your mind. Do not underestimate what I am trying to tell you here. Otherwise, you might regret buying so close to the Turn Pike.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:25 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

Why would anyone ask such a question on this site? You have to do your due diligence and decide what is best for you. Caveat emptor.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:28 AM
Veteran member

Generally speaking nothing near the turnpike.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:42 AM

Take your time and shop around the area! The “Villages” as such, is just a catch all melting pot. Many wonderful areas outside the wire……
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill
Old 06-29-2022, 05:46 AM

We were thinking about a villa and are glad we went for a bigger home. Why? Because of the larger garage! A full sized car, a golf cart, a couple of bicycles, seasonal decorations, trash can and our two car garage is packed tight. We’d never have made it in a 1.5 garage. We’re happy to have the third bedroom also for visitors and inside storage. If you’ve come from a house with a basement, you’ll underestimate how much space you need.

All the areas have pros and cons. I live between 466 and 466a and love It. Love access to shopping, Sumter landing, but envy the nature paths in the south.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:46 AM

Do a minimum two week life style visit through villages. They will let you stay in villa and give you golf cart and pass for all activities . This time of year is least expensive. Then do again in fall when all snow birds are back so you can see both times of year. Meet with both villages and mls agent. I would say stay north of 44.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:50 AM
Default Where Should You Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsstats View Post
DH and I are looking to buy in the fall. We just need a small house with 2 bedrooms. Dont play golf so don't need to be close to courses. More interested in being able to use golf cart to get to stores etc. Would like to be near dog park since we have 2 small dogs.

Not sure if we will buy new or resale. Open to both. Any suggestions. TIA
Best suggestion is visit first or even rent a couple of times and find out where and what you like. If you consider buying via a Villages' agent, think about doing a Lifestyle visit for a week and get introduced to what's going on. They will set you up with things to do, places to go and see, transportation and plenty of time to explore on your own as well as get you showings of homes for sale at that time so you can get a first hand view of the insides.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,781 Times in 1,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
True but at some point prices here will level off and perhaps even drop as interest rates go up and the economy probably goes into a recession.
At the rate The Villages is expanding some people far smarter than I don't expect an impact.

If I recall correctly, prices still rose here during the last recession.

+80% of buyers here are cash so interest rates have a small effect.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
In my opinion: buy a courtyard villa (fully enclosed for your dogs) NOT backing up to a golf course. Location between 466 and 466A. More established than newer construction areas Suggest closer to 466. That will allow you better and quicker golf cart access to stores and restaurants. Look for “bond paid” houses as bond payments would otherwise be part of your monthly expense. Again just my opinion. Everyone has one and you know what they say about opinions
Our bond payments are done yearly. Nobody other than you knows whats best for you so take your time before buying.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:08 AM
Veteran member

Good point about the garage , we have a courtyard villa and love it. Quiet ,private our lanai doesn’t face the neighbors lanai as most other homes do. The courtyard privacy is worth the smaller garage.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:20 AM
Default Do diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsstats View Post
DH and I are looking to buy in the fall. We just need a small house with 2 bedrooms. Dont play golf so don't need to be close to courses. More interested in being able to use golf cart to get to stores etc. Would like to be near dog park since we have 2 small dogs.

Not sure if we will buy new or resale. Open to both. Any suggestions. TIA
I have 2 dogs so I knew I needed a fenced yard. You can’t add fencing to a home that didn’t already come with fencing/walls. There are only 2 types of homes that have fences- Courtyard villas and Veranda homes. Since I wanted MORE FUN, LESS HOUSEWORK, I chose a Courtyard Villa- 3/2 just under 1460 sq feet. They come in 2 bedroom/2 bath and 3 bedroom/2 bath models.
There are dog parks everywhere and more being added as the community grows.
I moved here without ever having golfed but The Villages Golfing Academy teaches a golf that is FUN and beginners friendly. There is sooooo much here to do, things I didn’t even knew existed- dragon boat racing, glass fusion, twirlers and drum corp, cardio-drumming- just keep an open mind and explore!!! Never say never.

Everyone will say they live in the best Village and in the best house- and they will be right- it’s best for them. Besides a fenced yard being essential- here is the criteria I used when I bought my house- sight unseen, having never visited The Villages:

1). North facing lanai with the west side of the lanai blocked by the house- I can enjoy my lanai year round, all day long. I enjoy the morning sunrise and early morning sun on my lanai but quickly in shade for the rest of the day while still having views of the gorgeous sunsets.

2). Not built near the Turnpike or a busy major road, not next to a pickleball or tennis court. I LOVE peace and quiet while on my lanai- listening to the birds and frogs while gazing at my pretty yard and fountain and Florida sky is my thing!!

3). Not built backing to vacant or privately owned property. I wanted to know what will be going in on the other side of the wall/fence. I didn’t want a multiple unit apartment building or noisy business being built.

4). Walking distance to an ADULT pool- we are 4 houses from our adult pool. Didn’t want to be close to a family pool for sure.

5). Gas appliances.

6). I was 60 when I bought 2 years ago, so I wanted to be in the younger area of The Villages- which is the new area.

7). I wanted a “vacation resort” style Village instead of a “subdivision” standard neighborhood Village. I love nature and open spaces- Fenney was the perfect fit for me. When I pull in to the front of Fenney, even after 2 years, it takes my breath away with its beauty and nature.

8). I wanted block and stucco, not stick/vinyl. The Honeysuckle Villas are actually poured concrete - the only ones that I know of. The Developer is now building a lot with tilt wall design- pre-poured walls off site and then craned into place.

I am NOT a shopper - I am not interested in going daily to clothing stores, Knickknack stores, chatchzky shops, so close proximity to huge shopping areas was not in my list.

I bought in June 2020, coming from the state of Washington, without ever coming to visit The Villages but I stalked all the YouTubers (Jerry and Linda, The Village Newcomers, Gold Wingnut, Skip Smith) here in The Villages for about 18 months- so I felt comfortable and confident buying sight unseen. But how much I loved it the first day I drove into Fenney doesn’t match, doesn’t come anywhere close to how much more I love it 2 years later. I love LOVE it here more every single day!!!
Old 06-29-2022, 06:27 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

At a minimum, come for a lifestyle visit, and look at as many properties as you can. As has been said, if you want new construction, South of 44 Hwy is the only option. For resales, there are many great homes and areas, but they typically last for a very short time on the market. You may want to check out resales in the villages of LaBelle, Pine Hills, and Pine Ridge. Those are between 44 and 466a, have a dog park close by, close to shopping in Colony Plaza and Lake Deaton Plaza, and nearby country clubs for dining.

Keep in mind, it is impossible to get a feel for The Villages without being here. Any advice you receive here, mine included, might be way off the mark for your goals.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:44 AM

With two dogs, a courtyard villa would be a good choice and there are many, in a lot of areas. Single family homes in TV are not fenced so the courtyard is a quick, easy way to let your dogs out for a quick potty break without having to walk them. Good luck and welcome to The Villages
Old 06-29-2022, 06:48 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

I personally love the more established villages near Spanish Spring, but around Sumter is also beautiful. More privacy/bigger lots north, newer homes the further south you go, but trees and shopping are less established.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:50 AM
Veteran member

the golf courses are everywhere. You may not play now, but you can't see into the future. I didn't play either when I moved here, but now I do. Shopping is on 441 ( the big box stores and restaurants). Sure, someday they may be in the south section, but if you look at the paper, there are tons of houses south of 44 for sale. Why? they are practically brand new. People are moving there and realizing it is way too far away from everything! Not to mention....Coleman prison, the Florida tpke, constant blasting from construction sites. You really need a month here to see for yourself, learn your way around and talk to people already living here. Good Luck!!
Closed Thread

Tags
buy, golf, small, dog, park

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.