Looking to Move with Nervous Mother

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2023, 08:00 AM
Default Looking to Move with Nervous Mother

We are considering moving to TV and will be there in just over a week on a pre-Lifestyle visit our Lifestyle visit is in Mid-September. My mother who will be 90 yo in a few months lives with us and is getting nervous about the move. She currently uses senior transportation to take her to doctors appointments and daily to the local senior center. At the senior Center she exercises has lunch and talks with friends. Are there services similar to this in TV for those no longer driving? Or would we just drop her off at a rec center and pick her up later? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-22-2023, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Transportation for doctor visits is seriously lacking in The Villages.
Old 07-22-2023, 08:51 AM
Sage

Just my opinion as a 15-year resident: The focus of The Villages lifestyle is on the active over-55 population. Although I think Sumter County has some sort of transit service requiring a reservation, there is no widespread readily accessible system for those who no longer drive. Ironically, while the houses are built with many features for aging in place, the services needed to do so have not kept pace. Many senior residences have been built that do provide for elders' needs. But moving to a facility negates the ability to age in place.
Old 07-22-2023, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth1980 View Post
We are considering moving to TV and will be there in just over a week on a pre-Lifestyle visit our Lifestyle visit is in Mid-September. My mother who will be 90 yo in a few months lives with us and is getting nervous about the move. She currently uses senior transportation to take her to doctors appointments and daily to the local senior center. At the senior Center she exercises has lunch and talks with friends. Are there services similar to this in TV for those no longer driving? Or would we just drop her off at a rec center and pick her up later? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks
There are paid services and do recall one that is free.

Senior Transport In The Villages, FL - GaeLynns Home

Care

Transportation - DOEA
Old 07-22-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
There is no public transportation service like that. You could drop her off at a rec center for an exercise or yoga class. Classes last about an hour. During high season, a line forms as much as an hour ahead of time. Classes are first come first served, no reservations.

None of the rec centers serve food. Some have a restaurant nearby.
Old 07-22-2023, 09:07 AM
Sage

https://elderhelpers.org/index9.php?...IQobChMI6MeDn7

You could try this resource.
Old 07-22-2023, 09:19 AM

Don't do this to her. She is living a very full life for her age where she is and that will come to an end if you move her here.

My husband was hospitalized twice, each time for about 16 days, then into rehab for four weeks and unfortunately I have macular and can no longer drive. I am fortunate and do live in a Village that has a volunteer service for transportation but you have to wait for a period of time to get accepted into the system. I had to pay Uber and a taxi service to just get to the hospital to see him, a matter of 12 miles, and it cost me $12 to $15 each way, plus tip.

In my honest opinion, this is not the place for someone who can no longer drives and has an active social life and a senior center. No such thing here. TV is for the active retiree.
Old 07-22-2023, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

There are independent-to-assisted living facilities in the Villages which might be more suitable than a stand-alone home. They allow people to transition when they can no longer do things independently. They have a housekeeping staff, a cafeteria usually with food included in the monthly fee, barber/beauty salon, library, other communal living spaces, and of course basic medical facilities (on-site nursing staff, medication dispensary, emergency medical equipment, etc) in addition to the private modest apartment for the resident.

These facilities also have transportation to shopping centers, the town squares, Walmart, and so on.
Old 07-22-2023, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

An independent living facility would be appropriate if she doesn't need any regular medical assistance. But, you can expect to pay about $6,000 per month, which would include meals. Note that only a few of them offer access to The Villages amenities, such as the rec centers. I would suggest visiting Sumter Senior Living on Rt 466A and Watercrest on Rt 466 while you are here.
Old 07-22-2023, 10:52 AM

Thanks for all the helpful and informative replies, and links. We will stop at the Sumter Senior Living Center while down there to discuss what is available.
This is not an easy situation trying to do the best for my mother while still trying to enjoy our lives. My sister sure has it easy, oh well! (no, my mother will not go stay with her).
Old 07-22-2023, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
Don't do this to her. She is living a very full life for her age where she is and that will come to an end if you move her here.

My husband was hospitalized twice, each time for about 16 days, then into rehab for four weeks and unfortunately I have macular and can no longer drive. I am fortunate and do live in a Village that has a volunteer service for transportation but you have to wait for a period of time to get accepted into the system. I had to pay Uber and a taxi service to just get to the hospital to see him, a matter of 12 miles, and it cost me $12 to $15 each way, plus tip.

In my honest opinion, this is not the place for someone who can no longer drives and has an active social life and a senior center. No such thing here. TV is for the active retiree.
I agree, my impression is that TV is built for an active life style - but as soon as you need services eg public transportation etc this place is not for you. It is expected that you move into an assisted living facility (or you have a live-in caregiver) which is what my aunt did. Although she so much wanted to age in the house she lived in for 25 years.
Old 07-22-2023, 11:10 AM
Sage

About Us | Right at Home | Clermont, FL

We use Right at Home and they will take their clients out to places.

And there are a lot of these companies serving people here in the Villages and surrounding communities.

In Home Care | The Villages, FL | Ocala, FL

In-Home Care The Villages, FL | Home Health Care Services
Old 07-22-2023, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the helpful and informative replies, and links. We will stop at the Sumter Senior Living Center while down there to discuss what is available.
This is not an easy situation trying to do the best for my mother while still trying to enjoy our lives. My sister sure has it easy, oh well! (no, my mother will not go stay with her).
Don't give up on moving to Florida. If you reword your request you might find you get answers from people who have been through what you are going through, and have found retirement communities that have what you are looking for ..... but TV is not the place for her. You could also do a search for retirement communities offering what you need. I wish you well.
Old 07-22-2023, 12:25 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

Not much to do for a non active senior. No real transportation, or places to hang out all day, except maybe the pool. Some centers have games and activities, but only for a short periods of time...Nice of you to bring her, but she might be missing her old lifestyle and friends rather quickly.
Old 07-22-2023, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
About Us | Right at Home | Clermont, FL

We use Right at Home and they will take their clients out to places.

And there are a lot of these companies serving people here in the Villages and surrounding communities.

In Home Care | The Villages, FL | Ocala, FL

In-Home Care The Villages, FL | Home Health Care Services
Glad to know of these services. Perhaps they were not there when my aunt was alive. My uncle and she moved to TV in 1992. She looked after him until he died but when she needed help later, it was either not available or not affordable - I’m not sure which. She had to sell her beloved home to move into an assisted/independent living facility.
Closed Thread

Tags
senior, center, visit, move, nervous

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.