Looking to Move with Nervous Mother

Old 07-22-2023, 01:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You are making a major change to an active persons life style. If she stayed home and watched TV then I would say ok, but since her friends will not be here and transportation maybe a problem I would say it is a no go in terms of her needs.

Old 07-22-2023, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Senior rides and transportation: 5 alternatives to driving

You can probably hire a senior aide for a few hours each day to take your Mom places and stay with her.

And the Palliative Hospices have volunteers who do this. Cornerstone Hospice and Palliative Care But these are hopefully for much later.

Hospice, Palliative Care, & End of Life Services | VITAS Healthcare

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 07-22-2023 at 04:47 PM.

Old 07-22-2023, 06:16 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

You might care to review each of these internet searches re senior centers like it sounds your Mother is used to:

wildwood fl senior center at DuckDuckGo

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=lady+lake+...r&t=h_&ia=maps

some of the needles in the haystack seem to offer activities, lunch and camaraderie

Old 07-22-2023, 09:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,589 Times in 568 Posts

We were in the same situation, mom had choices for 3 senior centers within5 minutes of house. They had pick up service from 2 of the community churches. Lunch, crafts and special events.

So when she came here for a visit it became apparent that there was nothing available for a non driving resident that she was used to. It wasn’t about friends, but the availability to get to the centers and enjoy the day. Her doctors appointments were every 6 months so not a problem.

She was miserable here, even with siblings and nieces and nephews. So back north she went. It’s not ideal, and no our sibling only cares about money, not well being. Not ideal to be so far away, but she is so much happier than being in TV. She is 91

Old 07-22-2023, 09:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
We were in the same situation, mom had choices for 3 senior centers within5 minutes of house. They had pick up service from 2 of the community churches. Lunch, crafts and special events.

So when she came here for a visit it became apparent that there was nothing available for a non driving resident that she was used to. It wasn’t about friends, but the availability to get to the centers and enjoy the day. Her doctors appointments were every 6 months so not a problem.

She was miserable here, even with siblings and nieces and nephews. So back north she went. It’s not ideal, and no our sibling only cares about money, not well being. Not ideal to be so far away, but she is so much happier than being in TV. She is 91

I know a lot of people who moved out of the Villages to get back to their families up north. This was for many different reasons though. Often because of some medical care reason.

And some moved back later. But to other parts of the Villages.

One really liked the Historical Section and it would probably be easier to get around by US 441/27 with the help of various in house aids. The lady who moved back found life a lot simpler with a smaller house. And it kind of leaves her some space as there is not enough room in her small home for visiting relatives. They go to nearby hotels.

Old 07-22-2023, 09:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,589 Times in 568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I know a lot of people who moved out of the Villages to get back to their families up north. This was for many different reasons though. Often because of some medical care reason.

And some moved back later. But to other parts of the Villages.

One really liked the Historical Section and it would probably be easier to get around by US 441/27 with the help of various in house aids. The lady who moved back found life a lot simpler with a smaller house.
We stayed, parent stayed north. While harder to monitor, today’s technology makes life easier from long distance

Old 07-23-2023, 04:19 AM

Gogograndparent.com

Old 07-23-2023, 04:33 AM

There are lots of independent caregivers/companions in The Villages, that will drive your mom wherever she wants to go. And stay with her for as long as she wants. (I am one of those companions. 954 298-2832

Old 07-23-2023, 05:19 AM
Veteran member

Buffalo Crossings has private apartments and rehab facilities if needed, PT and OT. Medical personnel on staff. Lots of activities, transportation, meals, cleaning crews, villages amenities. Worth looking into.

Old 07-23-2023, 05:24 AM

We moved here with my mom when she was turning 90. At that time she was able to walk around on her own with a walker and she was mentally alert. She loves music, so I would take her to the shows, movies. Or sometimes find her a seat at the square with coffee and a donut from Dunkin’ to listen to the music in the evening while my husband and I were bowling or I was doing some shopping. You can def drop her off at the rec centers for activities that she is interested in. (Like cards, crafting, etc). I provided transport. However Sumter Cty does have a service. Also, there are senior facilities that offer senior “daycare” all day. They have activities, provide meals, sometimes go out to lunch or a show. An excellent one that I know of is at Mission Oaks on 301. Last I checked it was about $75/day. I believe they provide transport as well. She can go as many or few days as she wants. My moms now going on 96 and not able to get around as well, also more confused unfortunately😕. I wish you luck with your move. I know it’s not easy!

Old 07-23-2023, 06:35 AM

Many people I've met here have been "birders"--those folks who live part time here and part time in their original home. It's a good option, I believe for anyone who is thinking about moving here. Provided you can swing it financially, of course. Some folks offset the cost by offering their Villages home as a vacation rental. But here's why it's not a bad idea to try out TV this way. Some people move here and find after all that they don't like it as much as they liked living in their original home area. I met a lady in my exercise class the other day who is doing just that--moving back north. She does not "hate" The Villages; just likes her northern home better. It's an option for you to consider as you navigate this difficult time. It will also give you and your mom a chance to make friends here without the big commitment.

Old 07-23-2023, 06:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,740 Times in 5,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
Buffalo Crossings has private apartments and rehab facilities if needed, PT and OT. Medical personnel on staff. Lots of activities, transportation, meals, cleaning crews, villages amenities. Worth looking into.
Buffalo Crossings has assisted living and rehab, but I don't think they have independent living.

Old 07-23-2023, 06:45 AM

You are very kind to be bringing your mother with you. Not sure my kids would. It will be a change for sure as she is used to a different kind of life at a senior center. I do hope she will adjust but because people are from all over there doesn't seem to be that connection like back home. I am a split Fl resident 6mo up north and 6mo in TV. Maybe try going on NEXT DOOR for the villages area and post the question about your 90 year old mother and are their activities and a chance to meet others to connect with over lunch or etc.? Don't pay too much attention to the naysayers on here as they don't know your Mother. I wish you the best. Good luck to you and God Bless your Mom!

Old 07-23-2023, 06:49 AM

Brookhaven is the newest center it is fabulous and is going g to be really well run. My friend is the director, much less than $6000. What a facility!

Old 07-23-2023, 06:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,740 Times in 5,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlbonivich View Post
Brookhaven is the newest center it is fabulous and is going g to be really well run. My friend is the director, much less than $6000. What a facility!
Where is it located, does it include 3 meals per day, and does it include access to The Villages amenities for less than $6,000?

Last edited by retiredguy123; 07-23-2023 at 08:18 AM.

Tags
senior, center, visit, move, nervous

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.