Looking to Move with Nervous Mother

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2023, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzepecki View Post
Gogograndparent.com
Thank you for posting this site. Very interesting. I had no idea there was such a service. It seems somewhat pricey, but if you are no longer running a car, it is very reasonable. I would imagine it is the type of service where you could build a relationship with a driver and get the same person on a regular basis.
Old 07-23-2023, 07:20 AM
Sage

Could y'all visit first to get a "feel" of the community? Maybe even rent for a short while. THEN while actually here you could see if it would work, rather than opinions of others on social media sites. I don't blame your mom for being nervous since change is always difficult PLUS a new place will be just that, not the familiar as she's used to now.
Old 07-23-2023, 07:34 AM

IMHO, your mother is very fortunate with her current conditions. I can understand why she does not want to change what is working so well for her. Moving here would drastically change that. If your mother's happiness and well being is your top priority, then do not move her here with you. However, if you really want to live here, then you can probably find enough support and services for her here if you work at it and she is willing to adjust. Best wishes!
Old 07-23-2023, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

Sumter county provides transportation, arranged in advance. There are also a couple taxi services.
Old 07-23-2023, 07:44 AM
Veteran member

Of course she is nervous. You are taking her away from everything she knows. Her current social connections are especially important. It’s very common for the elderly to become disoriented and depressed when removed from what is familiar to them. Having consistent healthcare providers is important too. Keep in mind that the healthcare is not the best here. Probably at least a few steps inferior to were you are moving from.
Old 07-23-2023, 07:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
Buffalo Crossings has private apartments and rehab facilities if needed, PT and OT. Medical personnel on staff. Lots of activities, transportation, meals, cleaning crews, villages amenities. Worth looking into.
Have heard horror stories about Buffalo Crossing.
Old 07-23-2023, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
Thank you for posting this site. Very interesting. I had no idea there was such a service. It seems somewhat pricey, but if you are no longer running a car, it is very reasonable. I would imagine it is the type of service where you could build a relationship with a driver and get the same person on a regular basis.
The service is just a national call center that sends an Uber or Lyft driver to your house, and then charges you $0.27 per minute in addition to the driver charge. So, a 30 minute ride will cost an extra 8 dollars. Why not just use the Uber and Lyft apps yourself?

You can arrange to have most of the items, such as groceries, restaurant food, prescriptions, and other things delivered to you without leaving your house. And, almost any non-perishable items can be ordered on Amazon and delivered the next day for free.
Old 07-23-2023, 07:59 AM

This is the transport for Sumter County:
Transit Passenger Guide | Sumter County, FL - Official Website

Need to qualify and book three days in advance. Costs at least 50 cents. Pickup windows of up to two hours. Limited hours of availability. Probably nowhere near as easy as what she has now.
Old 07-23-2023, 08:03 AM

My mother moved here at 95 and lived in her own villa. She knew she couldn’t drive a car here but drove her golf cart for shopping and recreational activities. She had a ball. She met so many people who quickly befriended her. She was mentally sharp and independent until she passed away at 98.
Old 07-23-2023, 08:05 AM
Default Parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth1980 View Post
We are considering moving to TV and will be there in just over a week on a pre-Lifestyle visit our Lifestyle visit is in Mid-September. My mother who will be 90 yo in a few months lives with us and is getting nervous about the move. She currently uses senior transportation to take her to doctors appointments and daily to the local senior center. At the senior Center she exercises has lunch and talks with friends. Are there services similar to this in TV for those no longer driving? Or would we just drop her off at a rec center and pick her up later? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks
My mom is 89 and lives here however she can drive and lives in her own home. She goes to 2 card games a week but that’s all other than seeing her kids (3 of us also live here) She reads or watches tv and goes with a friend out to eat. She only drives to a few stores and relies on her kids to go outside of TV such as dentist, sams club or BJ …
Old 07-23-2023, 08:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanStCatherine View Post
This is the transport for Sumter County:
Transit Passenger Guide | Sumter County, FL - Official Website

Need to qualify and book three days in advance. Costs at least 50 cents. Pickup windows of up to two hours. Limited hours of availability. Probably nowhere near as easy as what she has now.
LOL. So, with a 2 hour pickup window, if you have a 9 am doctor appointment, you can plan on wasting the entire day.
Old 07-23-2023, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
There are paid services and do recall one that is free.

Senior Transport In The Villages, FL - GaeLynns Home

Care

Transportation - DOEA

$50.00 Most of us can't afford that for a doctors appointment. We need some other transportation, maybe a small bus line.
Old 07-23-2023, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendi View Post
Have heard horror stories about Buffalo Crossing.
Me too.
Old 07-23-2023, 11:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The service is just a national call center that sends an Uber or Lyft driver to your house, and then charges you $0.27 per minute in addition to the driver charge. So, a 30 minute ride will cost an extra 8 dollars. Why not just use the Uber and Lyft apps yourself?

You can arrange to have most of the items, such as groceries, restaurant food, prescriptions, and other things delivered to you without leaving your house. And, almost any non-perishable items can be ordered on Amazon and delivered the next day for free.
Uber is a good in most places….but in TV not so much.. use app all the time in other parts of the country but rarely has the app given me a pick up time here. I can get Uber from Metro airport to my Waterford home ( driver israrely happy no fare back to city for them) but if I want Waterford to Metro nothing available

Same for TV we just don’t have Uber cars sitting around TV hoping for a fair. They sit where they know a constant flow of customers are. Even DoorDash can be iffy at times here.
Old 07-23-2023, 11:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Uber is a good in most places….but in TV not so much.. use app all the time in other parts of the country but rarely has the app given me a pick up time here. I can get Uber from Metro airport to my Waterford home ( driver israrely happy no fare back to city for them) but if I want Waterford to Metro nothing available

Same for TV we just don’t have Uber cars sitting around TV hoping for a fair. They sit where they know a constant flow of customers are. Even DoorDash can be iffy at times here.
I agree, but a national call center cannot make it any better, and they charge you by the minute.
Closed Thread

Tags
senior, center, visit, move, nervous

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.