Looking to Move with Nervous Mother

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2023, 11:25 AM

Sumter County has a service for seniors. You have to call ahead to schedule it. They send a mini bus directly to your home, take her where she needs to go and will pick her up to take her home at the scheduled time. It works quite well. Call Sumter County to get the full info. It is for elderly seniors or handicapped people who cannot drive. Those posting that nothing is available don't know what they are talking about. I have lived in Sumter County for 22 years and we used this service for my husband before he passed.
Old 07-23-2023, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Transportation for doctor visits is seriously lacking in The Villages.
Guess I will be doing that once I get there along with dog sitting...........NOT JUST PETS
Old 07-23-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
You are making a major change to an active persons life style. If she stayed home and watched TV then I would say ok, but since her friends will not be here and transportation maybe a problem I would say it is a no go in terms of her needs.
NOT true my Aunt just left her friends behind in Chicago to live with her daughter and she LOVES it there
Old 07-23-2023, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,022 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagesgal View Post
Sumter County has a service for seniors. You have to call ahead to schedule it. They send a mini bus directly to your home, take her where she needs to go and will pick her up to take her home at the scheduled time. It works quite well. Call Sumter County to get the full info. It is for elderly seniors or handicapped people who cannot drive. Those posting that nothing is available don't know what they are talking about. I have lived in Sumter County for 22 years and we used this service for my husband before he passed.
Did he always have to face a 2 hour window for pick up?
Old 07-23-2023, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,740 Times in 5,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagesgal View Post
Not exactly. The program you referred is not just based on age and disability. It is based on income. I suspect that many Villagers do not qualify because their income is too high. Also, what about Villagers who live in Lake County or Marion County? There are many Villagers who can well afford transportation, but it is not available.
Old 07-23-2023, 06:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
There are paid services and do recall one that is free.

Senior Transport In The Villages, FL - GaeLynns Home

Care

Transportation - DOEA
they're wonderful people, a big vote for them
Old 07-23-2023, 06:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendi View Post
Have heard horror stories about Buffalo Crossing.
dittos Harbor Chase
Old 07-23-2023, 07:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,159 Times in 2,252 Posts

OP, when my wife and I moved here we offered to move my mother, she said NO she did not want to leave her assisted living home. Since there were still a few relatives in the area, we abided by her wishes. We kept in touch by phone, and discussions with the staff. The other relatives were also able to stop by occasionally. She really enjoyed her final years with all of her friends.
Hope you find a solution to your situation, but IMHO, I would not move her.
Old 07-24-2023, 04:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth1980 View Post
Thanks for all the helpful and informative replies, and links. We will stop at the Sumter Senior Living Center while down there to discuss what is available.
This is not an easy situation trying to do the best for my mother while still trying to enjoy our lives. My sister sure has it easy, oh well! (no, my mother will not go stay with her).
be very careful with that, we almost sued them. their medical team is at best inexperienced in geriatrics. Do your due diligence with every place as they just want to sell rooms so everything is good.... you'll find out months later it's not.
Old 07-24-2023, 05:30 AM

Quote:
We are considering moving to TV and will be there in just over a week on a pre-Lifestyle visit our Lifestyle visit is in Mid-September. My mother who will be 90 yo in a few months lives with us and is getting nervous about the move. She currently uses senior transportation to take her to doctors appointments and daily to the local senior center. At the senior Center she exercises has lunch and talks with friends. Are there services similar to this in TV for those no longer driving? Or would we just drop her off at a rec center and pick her up later? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks
Call Tri County Senior Services. This is exactly what they do - - they provide information on services available for senior citizens in our area, plus are able to get access to and coordinate these services.
Their web site is TriCounty Care Giver Resource Center . Org. (Remove the spaces and you get the website).
The phone number is 352-551-1260.
Old 07-24-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
We are considering moving to TV and will be there in just over a week on a pre-Lifestyle visit our Lifestyle visit is in Mid-September. My mother who will be 90 yo in a few months lives with us and is getting nervous about the move. She currently uses senior transportation to take her to doctors appointments and daily to the local senior center. At the senior Center she exercises has lunch and talks with friends. Are there services similar to this in TV for those no longer driving? Or would we just drop her off at a rec center and pick her up later? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks
While here tell your representative about your concerns and needs relating to your Mom. They have a group of folks who can provide advice and is knowledgeable about available resources. Also talk to the county(s) you are looking to buy in as to what services are available for your Mom. Good luck!
Old 07-24-2023, 09:52 AM
Gold member

Hi: The Villages is a great place for all ages. If you move here when you are 55, 65, and are fortunate to make it to your 90's or 100's, it is great. Lots of emotional support. Moving ANYWHERE when you are ninety is iffy. I do not want to be overly dramatic, but it change for the elderly is traumatic. I recall one 93 yo man from Baltimore that allowed me to sit in on sessions between him and my prof (his therapist). His daughter was called by the police to come get him because he was standing on a corner, almost in tears, very confused. The man made the same trek, daily, for years. From the home, to the newspaper store, and back. A small insignificant (to us) building was torn down along his route. It had been being worked on for weeks, but the prior day it was taken down. This created the reaction described above. You are faced with a very tricky situation. I wish you and Mom the best (does she know anyone down here at TV?).
Old 07-25-2023, 08:07 AM

Thanks for all the thoughtful and helpful input on this subject and especially the links to agencies. My wife and I will still be coming down next week and for a week in September, but we will also be renting through a good part of the winter and bringing my mother for as much as she is comfortable with. Yes, this was a discussion where she did take part in. Then we will decide plans for going forward based on how mom does in TV. We will also be visiting the Sumpter county officials and other agencies to see what services they have to offer. We truly want to make this a win win situation for all of us.
Old 07-29-2023, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, when my wife and I moved here we offered to move my mother, she said NO she did not want to leave her assisted living home. Since there were still a few relatives in the area, we abided by her wishes. We kept in touch by phone, and discussions with the staff. The other relatives were also able to stop by occasionally. She really enjoyed her final years with all of her friends.
Hope you find a solution to your situation, but IMHO, I would not move her.
Not sure if I missed something I original question or not, but I believe the ordinal post stated mom lives with them not already in ALF
Closed Thread

Tags
senior, center, visit, move, nervous

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.