Mailbox stickers

Old 03-17-2024, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Why not dress 'em up a little? Pretty boring, otherwise.
It’s illegal
Old 03-17-2024, 06:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
When stickers are removed it takes the paint finish off the mailbox. Some mail stations stickers have been completely removed and had to be repaired and painted. Looks awful.

In the new areas stickers are not allowed
I’m in a new area, not only do we have stickers galore but the mailboxes aren’t painted. They’re aluminum. I personally don’t have stickers but couldn’t care less. I can’t do anything about them either way so…
Old 03-17-2024, 06:18 AM
Veteran member

When I worked in the ghetto they would call that tagged. So I guess everyone lives to different standards
Old 03-17-2024, 06:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLinzi View Post
It’s illegal
Citation please.

Ownership of the boxes has been questioned in other threads. It appears the USPS *might* own the keys and locks but if I remember correctly, the USPS was less interested when it came to replacing rusted doors.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 03-17-2024 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Our old neighborhood mailboxes (2008) had a coating that when stickers were removed it took off sections of the coating. It was grey and when you removed stickers it came off in sections leaving a zebra pattern. We were so embarrassed when we removed the sticker put on our mailbox by someone else, removing sections of the coating, making our box look awful. Since the sticker was clear, with yellow, the grey that came off was definitely from the box.

2010 Notes were put in mailboxes property of USPS, that stickers were being removed and refinished. No stickers were allowed.

So to those who are newer the very old boxes are definitely different then what is being used by USPS today

Last edited by thelegges; 03-17-2024 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:43 AM
Default Gradge in Hanna, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raywatkins View Post
Two nations divided by a common language.
As a Brit I love the different way we say garage.
But then again, my wife and I are from two different parts of the UK. You should hear the friendly banter we have about the way you say scone.
Happy to take the Brit gibes - we get worse from the Aussies.
One of my favorite subjects. That, and accents. May have pointed out previously here that I recently learnt that "aluminium" is actually correct. "(IUPAC) adopted aluminium as the standard international name for the element in 1990. In 1993, they recognized aluminum as an acceptable variant". Humphrey Davy found it and called it aluminum, but he coulda treated Michael Faraday better. . .

Oh, and I like the stickers.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The "building" that houses the cluster mailboxes, the postal station itself, is owned by The Villages. The boxes, and the doors to the boxes, and the locks, are property of the USPS. Theoretically you're not supposed to adorn those box doors with anything, because you don't own them. But the USPS has taken a hands-off approach to them and as long as you're not obscuring the box number or blocking the lock, or putting the sticker in between your box and someone else's, no one's going to "do" anything about it.

Some people consider them to be very tacky. And - some of them (IMO) are tacky. But some are cute, or pretty. I'd suggest keeping political stickers off of them, or anything that suggests that you're "pro" or "anti" anything.
So when a resident sells there house and they have placed a sticker on their mailbox, do they remove it before they move? Or does it become a " not my problem anymore" attitude?
Old 03-17-2024, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblesandPat View Post
We noticed people have put stickers on thier mailboxes (Citrus Grove) I think it's cool to remember your box at the beginning. And add some "personality " Are the stickers allowed? What is everyone's feelings on them? (Should I duck now?)
The box immediately to the left of mine has a sticker so that’s how I find my box. I hope they never remove that sticker.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:27 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmean58 View Post
So when a resident sells there house and they have placed a sticker on their mailbox, do they remove it before they move? Or does it become a " not my problem anymore" attitude?

When I bought my house, I inherited the sticker. The real estate agent also refused to tell me my box number, so maybe the prior owners found it by sticker & not number.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:30 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
It’s illegal
Actually there was a big to do about it last year and the USPS said it was okay.......
Old 03-17-2024, 07:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
When I bought my house, I inherited the sticker. The real estate agent also refused to tell me my box number, so maybe the prior owners found it by sticker & not number.
At closing you should gotten an envelope with 2-3 keys and the number of your box is clearly written on the outside of the envelope. At least for all 4 of our houses that has been the norm

Last edited by thelegges; 03-17-2024 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
It’s illegal
Hey! Another rookie.

Welcome aboard!!
Old 03-17-2024, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raywatkins View Post
Two nations divided by a common language.
As a Brit I love the different way we say garage.
But then again, my wife and I are from two different parts of the UK. You should hear the friendly banter we have about the way you say scone.
Happy to take the Brit gibes - we get worse from the Aussies.
Heh.

My wife and I played a lot of league tennis in years past. In one tournament we were matched against a couple with obvious accents. As we met at the net just before the start of the match I commented to the guy that I had a hard time understanding an Australian accent. He replied, very frostily, "I'm British". Don't know why that irritated him.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:49 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblesandPat View Post
We noticed people have put stickers on thier mailboxes (Citrus Grove) I think it's cool to remember your box at the beginning. And add some "personality " Are the stickers allowed? What is everyone's feelings on them? (Should I duck now?)
If you want stickers, use them. If they’re not allowed, Im Sure there are dozens of people who won’t hesitate to bang on your door and tell you. Simple.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
When stickers are removed it takes the paint finish off the mailbox. Some mail stations stickers have been completely removed and had to be repaired and painted. Looks awful.

In the new areas stickers are not allowed
I've noticed here in citrus grove no one cares about whats allowed and whats not.

Tags
stickers, beginning, add, personality, mailbox

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.