Miliatry Retiree Questions?

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2009, 07:52 AM
Default Miliatry Retiree Questions?

We'll be moving to our new home in Hadley in a little over a year from now. Since my souse (Dan) is a retired AF pilot, we are interested in hearing from other retirees and spouses about local VA Clinic; specifically if only Dan or can we both get our prescriptions there? If not, do you just use a local doctor and your Tri-Care benefits?

Also...anyone else a retired C-141 pilot (with 3 years as a Jolly Green pilot also)? We are both looking forward to finding our if there's anyone living in TV that has crossed our paths between 1971-1991 in MAC ?
Old 03-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Pete

The local VA clinic, and hospital in Gainsville, can do it all for the retired Vet.( with co-pay based on income), however the spouse has to use tricare or a hospital on an active duty base. The VA does not do anything for dependents.

There is a very good Veterans Service office in the villages,(same building as tax collectors' office)

AND TELL HIM THANK YOU FOR SERVING OUR COUNTRY FROM ME

Last edited by Pete; 03-28-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
AND TELL HIM THANK YOU FOR SERVING OUR COUNTRY FROM ME

The Villages Florida

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 03-29-2009, 05:04 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

First, dependents are SOL (sorta outta luck) as far as the VA Clinic or hospital goes - you're on your own.

As for the vet, there is a fairly good VA clinic right here in TV and a new, 90,000 sq ft clinic under construction on the north side of TV next to Mulberry Grove. I think the planned opening is late 2010 or early 2011.

There is a VA Hospital in Gainesville (70 miles north of TV) and often procedures that can't be done at the clinic are scheduled for the Gainesville VA Hospital. The DAV offers a daily free van ride from TV (Spanish Springs Tranpo Center) to the VA Hospital in Gainesville but you have to make a reservation to ride.

As for perscriptions, they come out of the pharmacy at the VA Hospital in Gainesville so either you go up there or use snail mail. I much prefer using the Tricare service from Express Scripts since I have to do it mail order anyway.

I take it neither of you are over 65 yet to qualify for Medicare. I have got to say that the combination of Medicare and Tricare For Life as secondary are GREAT.

As for the VA Clinic, and the hospital in Gainesville, the way they work it is that they will bill you primary medical insurance for services. Whatever your primary medical insurance pays (I had BCBS and it usually paid 80% of the "approved" bill less any deductible I might still owe), the VA accepts that as FULL PAYMENT and you are not billed for your "copay" or "deductible".

There is some paperwork involved in getting into the VA system here or transferring from you present "primary" VA clinic to this one. Talk to the folks at the VA Clinic here and the Veterans Service Center at the Sumter County Government Annex here in TV. Both are very helpful and will get your "membership" transferred (or started, if appropriate) in TV.

One word of warning, I never had it so I don't know first hand but I have heard lots of stories about places around here that don't accept Tricare Standard, Tricare Prime, etc. That may be a concern prior to you before having Medicare but after you get Medicare, Medicare will automatically bill Tricare For Life as secondary (assumning you set it up for them to do so) and your provider never deals with Tricare. In fact, Tricare For Life would prefer if you never mention their name to your service providers as they don't want bills from them - only bills from Medicare. That system works like a champ for me and for my bride.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:18 AM
Platinum member
Default Not quite along the same lines, but

I would like to add that the VA care here is outstanding! My husband has his routine checks and lab work here at the clinic in TV. He goes to Gainesville for the specialized care and they are outstanding. Much of the care there is by doctors fulfilling their residencies and he gets all the latest and greatest. The hospital there is connected by tunnel to Shands Hospital (one of the premier hospitals of FL). Sometimes he takes the van to Gainesville, but for some things I have to go with him and those are usually afternoon appointments. If you ride the van, you have to have morning appointments as the van leaves Gainesville to return to TV no later than 2:00 (they leave when the last appointment is done if before 2:00). Caregivers can ride the van with the veteran as long as there is room. No veteran will be denied in lieu of a caregiver. Everyone at both facilities is courteous, compassionate, and truly puts the vet above all else. Being from a medical family, they remind me of what all medical care used to be about...the patient and not the bottom line.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Pete

As for perscriptions, they come out of the pharmacy at the VA Hospital in Gainesville so either you go up there or use snail mail. I much prefer using the Tricare service from Express Scripts since I have to do it mail order anyway.

use myhealthevet for your RX renewals , no need for snail mail or phone.

https://www.myhealth.va.gov/mhv-port...eLabel=mhvHome

VA charges $8 a month for each RX, tricare = $3 and $9 at CVS or WALGREENS and WALMart

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.