misc activity fees

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Default misc activity fees

Hi again,
My wife was asking me about misc activity fees...i.e. fitness center.
Is there a list or place to find out about the fees for activities not included in the 130.00 a month?
I tried to search , but did not find much :dontknow:

Thanks as always,

Marty
Old 08-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Sage
Default Re: misc activity fees

Moldy,

There's no one place to find them all (except for here ;D)...it all depends on what you plan to do. Things that do or can cost extra...

Golf on Exec course...if you take a cart, each person pay $3.50/round trail fee; but, if you golf a lot it's worth it to buy an annual traill fee for all Residents of the household (approx $140).

Champ Golf....can pay as you go; green fees are on golfing the villages website

Fitness centers...basic equip usage at Colony, Laurel Manor, Mulberry....$5/day; also have monthly, 6 month and annual memberships; Wellness Center (includes indoor pool, trainers, classes, etc)....is more like a gym membership.

Many social clubs assess an annual membership fee...$5-$10

Classes thru the Lifelong Learning College have a fee....generally in the 45-85 range per class.

Many of the activities at the Rec Centers are free of charge and are conducted by resident volunteers.

Don't know about Softball Leagues...assume each player has to pay a fee to be on a team.

Any other specific questions?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:31 PM

wow, great start
Thanks fellow Marylander... Pasadena here....

I will ask her to clarify her wants. I know the fitness center and pool were high on the list.

Marty
Old 08-26-2008, 11:19 PM

Marty, The wife and I are also from Maryland , howard county. I was 50 and wife was 46 when we bought here in feb 05. Our original thought was to move in 5 years (which would have been 2010). We came down for 2 weeks in summer of 05 and I just feel in love with the place. I nagged my wife non stop for over 5 months that we should move now. She had never lived outside of Md. and all her family lived within 10 minutes of us. I told her we were healthy now and could get top dollar for our Md. home and she finally let me put the house on the market. She gave me 2 conditions, one she had to be able to fly back to Md. anytime she wanted, and if after 2 years she still hated it here we would move back to Md.

She thought we were moving into an old people area. The last thing on her mind was to golf. Well our street neighbors were so friendly that after we were here less than a month she told me to forget about ever moving back. She now plays golf 4 times a week, and pickleball 6 times a week. We are closer to 10 neighbor couples here than we were to any neighbor back in Md. AGE HERE DOES NOT MATTER. I would rather play golf and pickleball with a 65 year old than sit and watch tv with my age peers back in Md.

There is not a day that goes by that we dont look at the beauty of the clouds, or sunsets, or the friendliness of the people here or how lucky we are to have found this utopia.

I know this is not the subject of this forum, but I looked up your previous posts and it looked like your situation was very similar to mine.

jeffy
Old 08-27-2008, 12:25 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Jeffy.....What a beautiful story and such a great ending to the beginning a new lifestyle!! LOL

Marty....FYI.... The Wellness Ctr charges extra for most classes (except water aerobics) and various services (such as massages, etc), above and beyond the membership fee.

They do have a good deal where you can join for specific times of day when it's not as busy and for much less $$$$. The only problem is that there's no classes/services available with this membership. However, the pool and workout areas are open for this "special" membership.

Good luck all....barb

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 08-27-2008, 01:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07
Moldy,

There's no one place to find them all (except for here ;D)...it all depends on what you plan to do. Things that do or can cost extra...

Golf on Exec course...if you take a cart, each person pay $3.50/round trail fee; but, if you golf a lot it's worth it to buy an annual traill fee for all Residents of the household (approx $140).

Champ Golf....can pay as you go; green fees are on golfing the villages website

Fitness centers...basic equip usage at Colony, Laurel Manor, Mulberry....$5/day; also have monthly, 6 month and annual memberships; Wellness Center (includes indoor pool, trainers, classes, etc)....is more like a gym membership.

Many social clubs assess an annual membership fee...$5-$10

Classes thru the Lifelong Learning College have a fee....generally in the 45-85 range per class.

Many of the activities at the Rec Centers are free of charge and are conducted by resident volunteers.

Don't know about Softball Leagues...assume each player has to pay a fee to be on a team.

Any other specific questions?
Dontcha love V7, she gives the best answers ever! Sorry Topicop. :cop:
Old 08-27-2008, 12:32 PM

Jeffy,
That was a great post and very timely for us.
We just ordered the video, her suggestion, and we are going to set up a visit.

Thanks again

Marty
Old 08-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Sage

Jeffy - outstanding take on life in TV. I just forwarded it to my friends and family who think I'm nuts for wishing to change my lifestyle. Thanks!

Fortunately my wife is already of the same mind as yours is now. I too was anticipating that it may be several more years before we can make the leap but who knows?
Old 08-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Sage

Jeffy, our experience has been the same as yours. We're from Illinois and we love Chicago. But the feeling of community here, the wonderful lifelong friends we've met, the beauty is something I count my blessings for everyday.

We have two dear couples from Chicago coming down to see us in February, and one asked me if I missed Chicago, Michigan Ave. the city lights, etc. Honestly, the answer is no. I miss seeing a few people, like these two couples, but we only saw each other every few months anyway. The Chicagoland area and suburbs are so spread out. Well, they're coming in Feb. so maybe they'll drink the Kool-Aide! ;D
Old 08-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Sage

Jeffy,

Great post...your tale probably describes the experience many of us went through and contains very wise words for the reluctant newbies and wannabes out there.

Calvert County here.... and, no, don't miss the Free State of Maryland at all. Or, the People's Republic of Maryland as Muncle once called it.

V7

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.