MLS realtors vs Villages realtors

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2022, 06:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,609 Times in 946 Posts

When comparing price of new vs pre owned, you need to consider the after market upgrades the pre owned has. Things like painted/coated driveway.garage, water systems, screening, solar tubes, plantation shutters, etc.
That is one reason why pre owned are listed at a higher price.
Don’t forget to investigate the bond. New home are probably in the $30,000 ranges, pre owned may by in the 10,000 to 15,000 range or may be paid off.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:05 AM

Villages agents are just that they work for the villages as a sales agent - not as a buyers agent. They only show Villages listed preowned and new
MLS agents are real estate agents - when you use them as a buyer they are your agent, not the sellers. They can only sell MLS listed preowned properties. They do not have rights to show the new properties. You can find MLS homes on Zillow, realtor.com, etc.
Do not forget for sale by owner too - that is what we ended up with. It just met our needs, price & timing was perfect.
Work with both (Villages & MLS) as they are separate pools of homes.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieRN View Post
My husband and I are coming for a lifestyle visit in October. I have 3 questions about realtors. 1)Why would someone list with MLS rather than a Villages realtor? 2)If I'm looking for a preowned home should I look at both? 3)Someone on this forum said a friend of theirs was paying 500.00 in amenity fees. Doesn't everyone pay the same? Thanks in advance for the info and advice. Excited to see all the Villages offers!
Regardless of which sales agent/source you use, be sure to have a home inspection done by an inspector who is NOT associated with the sales agent. Any inspector who is so aligned has a conflict of interest that motivates them to avoid reporting items that might adversely affect the sale. It happened to me.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:08 AM
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
When we bought this past spring we were pretty much 90% set on pre-owned. We looked at several pre-owned and very quickly after checking out new homes after that we changed our minds to only want something new. The newer builds are generally better laid out, using more energy efficient everything, more modern kitchens and bathrooms, and seem to sell for around the same price as pre-owned. Not to mention, in the new areas the average age is closer to 60 than 80 like some of the original areas.
Same here!
Old 09-25-2022, 06:09 AM

Amenity fees usually between 150 and 160 per month.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:16 AM
Location: Currently live in White Bear Lake, MN/Alhambra Village, FL. Lived in Columbia, SC. From Beacon, NY.

We actually went through Redfin and bought a pre owned home. We are in our 50s (early 60s). I wanted to be near my sisters and they are in the older sections. Our bond was paid off so that would be something to consider. I enjoy living on a pond, near Savannah, not too far from Sumter, Spanish Springs, and shopping. I also enjoy remodeling. Location matters of course. With that in mind, I enjoy going to the new sections catering to the younger retirees with trails, open air market, etc. and closer to the airport. They say the average Villager moves 3x… so who knows. Enjoy your stay!
Old 09-25-2022, 06:36 AM

Definitely look at both! Villages realtors work for the Villages, they are NOT realtors and will only show you their homes!! Only if you find a home snd insist will they show you others!! Beware!! Have both a licensed realtor and a villages realtor. Also, they won’t allow a licensed realtor to show their homes!!
Old 09-25-2022, 06:37 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

This summer we purchased a pre-owned home in the area we wanted. While we had both a MLS Realtor and TV sales person, we had to change the TV sales person because they simply refused to show us enough pre-owned houses and tried to push new houses way down south. The second TV person did a good job, but we found the house we wanted and bought through the MLS realtor.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:44 AM

In my experience working with both, I would never use VLS. You are not offered the protections that an MLS must adhered to. A friend recently bought an older home owned by the villages. They went ahead and hired their own inspector and gave her the report - unethical IMO.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:44 AM

If you want to see every house for sale in TV, then you will need both MLS & TV. TV handle about twice the sales of resales and 100% of new. The “line” about TV agents are not realtors is spun by MLS agents, because TV can not sell MLS and vice versa……BOTH are licensed by the state of Florida. Some of TV agents get along with MLS and can work together. You can only see MLS homes on MLS, and only see TV homes on TV website. As with any transaction, get agents you like and trust, there are good & bad in both organizations.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:58 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi

Very important location! Location! and community travel if you cannot drive.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:12 AM
Default MLS or Villages realtors

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieRN View Post
My husband and I are coming for a lifestyle visit in October. I have 3 questions about realtors. 1)Why would someone list with MLS rather than a Villages realtor? 2)If I'm looking for a preowned home should I look at both? 3)Someone on this forum said a friend of theirs was paying 500.00 in amenity fees. Doesn't everyone pay the same? Thanks in advance for the info and advice. Excited to see all the Villages offers!
When my husband and I moved here, we had no idea that we had a choice between the Villages realtors and MLS realtors. In hindsight, I wish we had slowed down a little bit and looked at all our options for buying. We actually LOVE the home we chose to purchase from our Villages agent, but we didn’t realize The Villages agents couldn’t show homes listed by MLS agents and vice versa. Therefore, we limited our choices of homes to see and possibly purchase. So….my advice is to use both Villages and MLS agents. As far as amenity fees, to my understanding they are all different. We do not pay anything near to $500 a month.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Look at both MLS and VLS listings. You just never know. BTW, There is no such thing as a "Villages Realtor". Villages agents are licensed but are NOT Realtors.
What are they licensed for?
Old 09-25-2022, 07:32 AM

Remember you will have a BOND on new or newer construction. Paid with taxes. Many realtors never mention that important fact!
Old 09-25-2022, 07:37 AM

FYI, if you go onto YouTube, you will find some videos that share what the cost per year are for someone to live in The Villages. They will vary but, at least you will have some idea. Enjoy your adventure while visiting TV.
Closed Thread

Tags
realtors, villages, mls, excited, forum

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.