Mold

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2023, 09:02 AM
Default Mold

Hi Everyone,
We have lived in The Villages for 8 years and the last two years have developed sinus and lung issues. I was told it could possibly be a mold issue even though we do not seem to have leaks or black spots anywhere.
Have you had issues like this and what did you do? We have had the registers cleaned and checked.
This past summer as we all know has been extremely humid and I am concerned even the dogs are gagging. We can't afford thousands to get this checked. Any suggestions please?
Old 10-12-2023, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,159 Times in 2,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAT777 View Post
Hi Everyone,
We have lived in The Villages for 8 years and the last two years have developed sinus and lung issues. I was told it could possibly be a mold issue even though we do not seem to have leaks or black spots anywhere.
Have you had issues like this and what did you do? We have had the registers cleaned and checked.
This past summer as we all know has been extremely humid and I am concerned even the dogs are gagging. We can't afford thousands to get this checked. Any suggestions please?
I had air quality checks done on a house up north, the cost was under $500, however, this house had a crawlspace vented to the outside, and stuff growing in it. I won't go into the gory details. My point is that an air quality test should be in the several hundred-dollar range. If something is found, then remediation could be expensive, or if you are lucky, could be relatively cheap. I would definitely get the test, so you know what you are dealing with.
Old 10-12-2023, 10:02 AM

Our AC was not working for a few weeks, so we had a remediation company evaluate our home. Total cost for remediation was under $3000.00. Our situation was borderline, but we felt better safe than sorry. Probably not a bad idea to have your home checked it the house is over 10 years old.
Old 10-12-2023, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAT777 View Post
Hi Everyone,
One thing you might want to check into is purchasing an air purifier, both as a short-term remedy and to hold things over until you do get your house checked. I have asthma and allergy issues and though most of the time it isn't an issue I went through a particularly rough spell last April or so. The unit I bought (PUROair) cost about $200 from Amazon. It is room-sized (you can get larger ones for more area) and the filters aren't cheap: about $50 each and they last about six months. It helped a lot: not immediately (takes about 2-3 weeks to notice any improvement) but over time the change is significant. MUCH more comfortable, especially at night.
Closed Thread

Tags
mold, issues, checked, years, afford

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.