Mom retired, starting a new life here tomorrow! Help!

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2014, 08:54 PM
Default Mom retired, starting a new life here tomorrow! Help!

Hi there. As you can see from the title, my mom is moving in tomorrow to the Village of Collier. (She is not tech savvy, so I have to help her with the posts) She just retired from her job of 30 years, sold her house of 36 years, and is starting a new chapter of her life, basically from scratch. I live in Pensacola, and am usually 6 hours away. She doesn't know a soul and I'm here for a few days, helping her move in. I'm looking for some inside info to help her get started. 1) She needs to apply for Medicare. Where does she go to do this? 2) Names of good General Practitioners and Dermatologists 3) A good place to buy a mattress that won't take advantage of her. Any and all info you can provide would be much appreciated. Thank you, in advance!
Old 04-23-2014, 08:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I recommend Dr. Casper at Alliant Dermatology on 466 across from Mission Hills. An inexpensive mattress can be bought at Sam's Club. I like Dr. Felix Agbo as a primary care provider. I don't know how to apply for medicare but you could call the social security office in Leesburg. Tell her Welcome and I want to reassure you that she will soon find her place here. It is a wonderful place to live. A very helpful man named Bogie Shooter will tell you where she can sign up for lessons on the computer and if she would like to meet someone who would enjoy showing her around, I am available.

Kind wishes.
Gracie
Old 04-23-2014, 09:15 PM
Sage
Default Ask for help on this forum

I Welcome to your mom to The Villages. Although I am not Medicare age yet, I had an occasion to go to the Medicare office in Lake Sumter Landing. It is down at the end where the closing offices are, bravo, pizza, and subway except on the opposite side of the road. I expect they will be helpful. I agree with Dr Casper for Dermatology. Please make sure she is aware of all of the people that may try to take advantage of her because she is elderly and alone. She may want to ask advice on this forum before signing up for anything such as lawn care, cable, and general work around her home. People will be more than willing to offer their opinions and perhaps their assistance. I'm sure your mom will love it here!!
Old 04-23-2014, 09:15 PM
Gold member

If your Mom needs any help getting started with her "connected" life in the Villages, Please feel free to contact me.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 04-23-2014, 09:41 PM
Sage

She can sign up for Medicare by call 1.800.772.1213, preferably at 6 PM.

She will be connected in a few minutes. During the day, the wait times are very long.

She will have a choice between straight medicare with a supplemental policy or she can sign with a Medical Advantage plan. The Villages Healthcare system only takes UHC insurance or straight Medicare.

Dr Agbo for PCP.

Make a list of what's important and work your way down, Do not get overwhelmed, but do a couple of things per day. After a while, you just need to take break from your worries, and go out an have fun!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-23-2014, 09:49 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

I will be Medicare eligible this July and from what I was sent, since I am already collecting SS I don't have to apply I will automatically have Part A and B. With my husband it was the same way 2 years ago. TriCare for Life is my supplemental. She should get a package that will explain to her what she needs to do. I got mine a couple of months ago already.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:52 PM
Gold member

Tell mom welcome to paradise & not to hire anyone to do anything until she talks with neighbors or asks for recommendations right here on TOTV.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
Tell mom welcome to paradise & not to hire anyone to do anything until she talks with neighbors or asks for recommendations right here on TOTV.

My neighbors have saved me hundreds of dollars, with their recommendations!!!

BTW - You don't have to have everything done, in three days. Take your time on bigger projects!!! Or you will stress yourself out.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-24-2014, 05:03 AM

As a relatively new Villager I am constantly impressed with the good nature and kind spirit of the Village Community. Can't wait to move in full time in August.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:07 AM
Veteran member

You can sign up for Medicare online. Will take a few minutes and is almost painless, especially with you doing the tech part.

I'd suggest that she attend a Shine session for Medicare advice (supplements/advantage/etc). Look in Rec news for schedule. They give unbiased advice (The "medicare stores" are run by United Health Care - kind of like going to a Ford dealer and asking what make of car should I buy.)
Old 04-24-2014, 06:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We need to get your mom computer savvy so she can join a lot of us here who have become obsessed with TOTV.

Please PM me, OP if you two would like to come visit before you leave.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkib76 View Post
Hi there. As you can see from the title, my mom is moving in tomorrow to the Village of Collier. (She is not tech savvy, so I have to help her with the posts) She just retired from her job of 30 years, sold her house of 36 years, and is starting a new chapter of her life, basically from scratch. I live in Pensacola, and am usually 6 hours away. She doesn't know a soul and I'm here for a few days, helping her move in. I'm looking for some inside info to help her get started. 1) She needs to apply for Medicare. Where does she go to do this? 2) Names of good General Practitioners and Dermatologists 3) A good place to buy a mattress that won't take advantage of her. Any and all info you can provide would be much appreciated. Thank you, in advance!

Although we reside in Vermont, when we signed up for Medicare at age 65, I had done preliminary research via their website......then as our birthdays approached, we called the toll free number in our state and it was all done over the telephone. Very simple.

My husband, born in January, completed his paperwork first......followed by myself at the end of April.

Very very easy to do. Ditto for our social security at age 66......

I did the research online and then everything else was completed over the telephone. Our offices are one hour away, so a two hour round trip. It worked just fine via telephone and postal mail. Much easier.

By checking it all out first online, you will know just what information to have at hand.

Since our state has a very low population, we had no wait time and it all went smoothly over the phone.

It will be easier for you to have your mom in the same state.
Best wishes to her on her transition.......
Old 04-24-2014, 06:54 AM
Send a message via ICQ to dpingram

New Covenant United Methodist Church @ Lake Deaton holds Sunday service at the Eisenhower Center at 10:30 am. A great place to meet new people.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:20 PM
Default Here's the best way to meet people

Go to the neighborhood pool. Ask everyone you see one of 2 questions.
1) Where are you from?
2) Where's the best place to eat.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:11 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
Great advice...and welcome to the neighborhood !
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.