Moving Cost

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2021, 08:42 AM
Default Recently moved

We have found that it's cheaper to use a local mover who's not affiliated with a large carrier. Research through the BBB and read reviews carefully. Interview and ask questions. Also, if you can get a floor plan of the house you're moving to, lay out your furniture to see what fits before you move it. Then come on down and enjoy!
Old 10-30-2021, 08:43 AM

It is a good estimate but beware at this time there are movers that will give you a quote then a week before they may raise the price $5000+ at the last moment even with a deposit made. Not all movers are that way but 2 people I know went through that. I used 2 uhaul boxes, 3 bedrooms would probably be 3 to 4 Uhaul boxes and costs starting at $5500 just for comparison across the US from west coast. My cost for 2 was about $4300.
Got a quote from a mover based in Ft. Lauderdale that is one of the companies that have a reputation of saying we need more money to move you. There's was $5,500 but I refused after reading their reviews.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:46 AM

That might be in line.
We moved from central Maryland in December 2018 with Mayflower to TV, with two bedroom house, no appliances and all pre-boxed, and we paid about $5,500. They had a 10 day layover (to consolidate), which was fine, because we stayed with family that already lived here.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2B-Villager View Post
We are moving to The Villages the end of January. We received a quote from Mayflower movers of $8k to move our 3 bedroom household from northern Virginia to TV. We plan on boxing everything ourselves except for the furniture.
I have always had employer paid moves and am not familiar with the inflated cost of everything now a days. Is this a reasonable estimate or should I get more quotes?
We’ll you know the weight is just a guesstimate. I heard someone say a while back that someone had what they thought was a locked in price for moving them & when they got their bill it was several thousand dollars higher because the weight was quite a bit more. So beware!
Old 10-30-2021, 08:55 AM

Thank you for your advice. We are in the same situation where our taste is expensive. Similar to the previous writer who said he was only able to,replace his bedroom set with what he saved.

We’re you nervous about the whole adventure of moving to the Villages as well?
Old 10-30-2021, 09:07 AM
Default Use PODS

If you're planning on doing your own packing use PODS. I've heard too many horror stories about using commercial movers. With PODS you are in control, not the moving company. No stolen or lost household goods.
Old 10-30-2021, 09:36 AM

Great response. We sold 90% of our furniture and moved the rest with pods. Vost was $1500
Old 10-30-2021, 09:45 AM
Smile

Quote:
We are moving to The Villages the end of January. We received a quote from Mayflower movers of $8k to move our 3 bedroom household from northern Virginia to TV. We plan on boxing everything ourselves except for the furniture.
I have always had employer paid moves and am not familiar with the inflated cost of everything now a days. Is this a reasonable estimate or should I get more quotes?
First of all...welcome to the Villages. Second...I agree with most to declutter and move just a few boxes. I just moved here last month from Chicago and it would have been $8K - $10K. Sold all my OLD furniture for $2500 and negotiated the rest in the closing for $1K. Gave the rest to Salvation Army. Moved 65 boxes with Bekins for $3500. Bought ALL NEW from Kane's Furniture. BEST decision of my life. Love it!! Good Luck.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:22 AM
Default Moving

Quote:
I have always had employer paid moves and am not familiar with
the inflated cost of everything now a days. Is this a reasonable estimate or should I get more quotes?

Paid $7700 three years ago with Bekins for move from Philadelphia area to TV with full pack and unpack. Needed to negotiate. Most IMPORTANT is getting mover with good reputation. Mayflower is one.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:30 AM

We moved with a 15ft UHaul. Sold/gave away all of our furniture before we moved, sold our extra stuff in a yard sale, rented a dumpster and put a ton of stuff in it (literally).
We are glad we didnt keep our northern furniture.
Old 10-30-2021, 11:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,590 Times in 568 Posts

Why does everyone think of you live north, you have heavy Dark furniture. Guess we were never pack rats, what we didn’t want went to the curb for regular garbage pickup. When we put this house for sale, the kids are coming for what they wanted, and the house will be close to empty.

We chose to rent a Uhaul, hired them to load. We packed, because I knew what was in every box. Then hired local to unload. Total cost of furniture move $765 for Uhaul, gas $217, load $195, unload $220. Not one thing damaged. Uhaul had a list of drivers if we wanted one.

We drove ourselves, the Uhaul was not much different than driving a big SUV. Handled well, had great space for small kennel between front seat for our pet. Would do the same exact thing when we move our lake house.
Old 10-30-2021, 11:11 AM
Default Moving Coasts

Quote:
We moved a year ago. We used United. At the same time a friend moved using Alliance. Alliance's price was lower. Our stuff arrived in perfect condition at the specified time agreed on before hiring them, with nothing missing. My friend's, took months to be delivered and so happened, boxes with crystals disappeared.
My point is when it comes to moving, the best price is not the most important factor. Use a reputable company with good reviews. We strongly recommend considering United Van Lines. It was the second time using them and we were again very happy. Good luck!
Old 10-30-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
yes
You pack it, they break it, you lose. They pack and put on their truck Insure!
Old 10-30-2021, 12:00 PM
Default Use a POD

We are moving right now from Hawaii to our new home in Charlotte. We are using a 16 foot POD and it costs less than your quote. Packing boxes ourselves and hiring muscle on each end of the move to load and unload the POD keeps cost down. Don't bring more than your new home has room for. But bring enough, especially kitchen, bedding, and bath items.<BR>
A POD is also secure, put your own lock on it and send it on its way.
Old 10-30-2021, 02:25 PM

Absolutely agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmillard11 View Post
We used North American Van Lines when we moved here in May and were very happy. They gave us the best quote for our four bedroom home.

Prior to moving I consulted with a decorator concerning what would work well in the Florida home so I wouldn’t needlessly bring things that wouldn’t work. The advice so many gave us to get rid of everything and replace it wasn’t for us. Much of our furniture is Ethan Allen and similar brands. You can’t replace that for $6-8,000. We have ordered a few pieces to fill in and those won’t arrive till February/March. And while many people say they find excellent deals on used furniture, it’s hard to pull a home together that way.

We were very happy with our decision to move carefully selected pieces from our prior home.

Good luck. It’s stressful but so worth it.
Closed Thread

Tags
moving, cost, received, inflated, employer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.