Moving down on 18 Dec

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2014, 10:26 PM
Default Moving down on 18 Dec

Has anyone shipped a car down recently? Looking for info on door to door transport experiences.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:05 PM

Wife and I excited about our upcoming move this month. We will be joining the folks in Briar Meadow. Made three trips down to check it out and decided to quit stalling and make it happen. Will be leaving illinois (real close to St. Louis) . Looking forward to making new friends and neighbors.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:26 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

'Door to door' can sometimes be inconvenient depending on the size of the car transporter and your neighborhood streets. Friends have used a parking lot close to one of the main highways [by Spanish Springs or Brownwood] which made off-loading a breeze. Using Brownwood could be iffy depending on how up-to-date the transporter's gps system is!

Last edited by njbchbum; 12-04-2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

We brought down 4 cars, 3 by auto train, by far the least cost solution, and 1 we had moved with the furniture, cost almost as much as the other 3 combined.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Might be just as cheap to hire a driver and fly him into STL to bring it back. I'm going back thru STL this weekend heading back to KC for a couple of weeks and then coming back down.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:47 AM

Good info. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:27 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default I have set up to use these guys

Someone last year on this site recommended Suncoast Auto Transport. I have not used them before but have booked them to move our car down this month. What they do is act as a dispatcher with a car carrier in your area and for $150 arrange the transport and act as your agent with them. I am shipping our car down from Seattle at the end of the month and it is costing $900 plus the $150 I have already paid. This is for transport on an open car carrier not a closed truck. The outfit they set me up with had a good better business rating here so I am hoping all will go well. Now if you want a specific date of pick up and drop off it costs a ton more. We have a one week window on each end so they can consolidate our car ship with others. They say usually they can pick up within two days of the target date but want the one week window to be sure. Now they are picking ours up Christmas week which might be part of the problem as I gave them a Jan 2nd delivery date. Give them a call and check out their website they were very informative.

My experience in the past with corporate moves (6) is they need to load and unload at a large lot or some place along a long stretch of straight road where they can pull off on the shoulder safely and leave the truck. (I am using Seabreeze rec) With door to door they call you and you drive to where they are pick them up and then they drive you back to your house and drive off with your car and load it up same on the other end they drive to where you are and then you have to drive them back to where their transport is parked. So not really door to door exactly. Plus they charge extra for that service I think. We are renting a car for a few days so we will have one when they arrive.

Suncoast Auto Transport inc

8286 Business park drive

Port Saint Lucie, FL, 34952

772-224-8318 - customer service

csv@suncoastautotransport.com

PS. the autoclub estimated it would cost $850 in gas for us to drive so I figure we are getting a pretty good deal.

I wish us both luck.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:17 AM

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:04 PM

Got the car shipped without any problems or issues. Great having friend there to receive it for us. Used Nations Auto Transport. Great service and don't forget to ask for Military or Senior discount if you ever need to ship vehicle. Heading down to new home on Tuesday. Excited for sure.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:30 PM
Veteran member

Glad everything worked out with the car, Polcat, and welcome to both The Villages and Talk of the same.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.