moving pods or containers

Closed Thread
Old 01-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Default moving pods or containers

Sue and I closed on our house jan. 17th, we bought a cabot cove patio
villa fully furnished. We will go back to mich, end of March, and want to bring
patio furniture, gun case, a few exercise items, and of course boxes. Have anybody tried pods, or other storage containers? we do not need a moving co., and i wonder if they are allowed in the villages (it will be in the drive until they pick it up). I do NOT want to drive a small uhaul all the way.
Also how long b4 they come to pick it up?
Thanks if anyone has used this type of moving let me know
Old 01-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Default Relocube

We used an ABF relocube from Michigan. We had it delivered to our home in Michigan on a Monday and they picked it up on a Thursday. They delivered it down here the the next Monday and we unloaded it that afternoon and they picked it up the next morning. We have a villa and it fit completely in our driveway and we parked in a guest spot for the time the relocube was in our driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	cube-crop.JPG
Views:	1796
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	9219  

Last edited by ewstanley; 01-28-2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: photo
Old 01-28-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg&sueby View Post
Sue and I closed on our house jan. 17th, we bought a cabot cove patio
villa fully furnished. We will go back to mich, end of March, and want to bring
patio furniture, gun case, a few exercise items, and of course boxes. Have anybody tried pods, or other storage containers? we do not need a moving co., and i wonder if they are allowed in the villages (it will be in the drive until they pick it up). I do NOT want to drive a small uhaul all the way.
Also how long b4 they come to pick it up?
Thanks if anyone has used this type of moving let me know
I have used PODS several times. You pack it, lock it with your lock. When you want it picked up and stored, or when you want it delivered to new home. They have different sizes. Plus i have never had anything stolen. They dont have access to them . You put your lock on it and only you have the key. check it out online, a great concept. I would never go back to renting a trk and all the hassle to empty it and get the truck back etc. You pack and unpack at your leasuire. HOPE THIS HELPS
Old 01-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,029 Times in 459 Posts

I used PODS when I moved from Long Island, NY. I had a 16 foot container in my driveway for about 2 weeks. We loaded what we were going to keep, with a lot of help from a neighbor and his son. It helps that they knew how to pack a container.

The company was supposed to pick up the PODS on the day that tropical storm Sandy was scheduled to hit. I called PODS and explained my dilemma. They came and picked it up on the Saturday before. If they hadn't, it would have been filled with 6 feet of tidal surge.

This post explains how it was unloaded here in TV.

I would definitely use PODS again. And the price is very, very reasonable.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

We currently used one. An 8X8X16. It is scheduled to be picked up tomorrow. We had no issues using one and verified there would be no issues with one at closing. People also use them for renovations. We found them to be better than renting a truck which gives you no time at all. Since I have a bad back it was helpful.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Veteran member

We used PODs when we moved from Michigan to the villages last year. We were told that moving across state lines they have only one size pod for us to use. So check out what size you need the small one doesn't ship across state lines. Other than that we liked moving with the pod, the villages will let you keep the pod in your driveway for three days.

Last edited by delima2000; 01-28-2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Didn't read the post all the way thru. See that they have a house
Old 01-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Location: Indianapolis, Ft Worth, Naperville, Zionsville, Avon
Default Packing material

Do the provide (for a cost) packing material, such as boxes and blankets?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Veteran member

I've used PODS as well and I would recommend them. However, if you live south of 466A, you will want to verify the delivery area/delivery fee. I recall a conversation a while back where folks south of 466A had some problems ... I can't remember the details ... but I think those homes fall into the Orlando? delivery area rather than Ocala, and it cost them quite a bit more than they were expecting for delivery.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,691 Times in 602 Posts

We used a POD and it worked great. We had a piano to move and it being ground level helped a lot. You get 30 days with the rental, and can buy added 30 day increments if needed. They did a nice job for us.. right on time and courteous. Ran about $2400 for a 1000 mile trip, 30 days , receipt to pick up.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:59 AM

Regarding moving pods and containers: We moved to Florida in September and used PODS. Great company! If you don't want to load and unload your furniture yourself they have two companies that they recommend. We used them as we did not want to load or unload the POD. They know how to pack the PODS and tie everything together. Nothing was broken when it was unpacked. You tell them when you want the POD delivered and when you want the POD picked up and finally when you want the POD delivered to your current address. It's really slick and very convenient to use.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:45 PM

Used PODS. Separate charge for professionals to load and unload. Would recommend The Village Mover to unload for you. Scheduled POD delivery but their huge forklift for containers broke and they didn't have a back-up so all the scheduling had to shift. Only had the POD in my driveway one day. Next day was scheduled for pick-up. Very easy. 1-866-229-4120. Also online at pods.com. Military discounts.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewstanley View Post
We used an ABF relocube from Michigan. We had it delivered to our home in Michigan on a Monday and they picked it up on a Thursday. They delivered it down here the the next Monday and we unloaded it that afternoon and they picked it up the next morning. We have a villa and it fit completely in our driveway and we parked in a guest spot for the time the relocube was in our driveway.
if you don't mind me asking what did you move down an approximate cost could you p.m. me Thanks
Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 PM

No Problem if your South of 466A. We did the move in December from Ma. to Village of Sanibel. Had for 30 day which included about a week in the driveway @ TV. Again, NO problems, everything went off without a hitch. Cost for 8x8x16 about $2800.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:33 AM

Used PODS to pack up in CT in December- Unpacked the PODS in January south of 466A- no issues at all- great company to deal with- used their recommendations for 3 men to help pack the PODS up and used The Village Movers here to unpack. Both were great- would definitely use their services again-
Old 03-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Default PODS is the way to go

We used PODs in 2010. Cost for 16ft. from Ohio was about $2400. Best part about PODs was no rush to load, ground level l load, storage of stuff until we wanted it. Could have saved a few bucks with UHaul type truck but would have had to rush loading, drive big truck through bad weather, security at hotel, rush to return truck on time. It couldn't have been more positive. There are other pod companys than the one trademarked "POD".
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.